• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

E‐FA‐10 confirmation form question

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone has any insight on to how the electronic transferring works. I tried to make a transfer today, but we did not have access to a printer and neither one of us felt comfortable enough to go ahead and do it if we did not know if we could save a PDF to our desktop. Has anyone done this and can you save the confirmation to your desktop, or just print it out? Any information is very much appreciated. It seems as if parking lot transfers are not going to happen any longer with this new system.

I guess if you are using smartphone, you can do a screen capture. Attached the photo/picture to both seller & buyer via email. A picture with legit transaction info should be good enough. But, IANAL.

Sent from my iPhone 5.

You can save to your desktop if you really know what you are doing with IT or you can have a copy mailed to you from FRB with all of the information of both seller and buyers.

In other words, it's not worth using it.

The main issue is thatmost local PD's have received an email from the FRB instructing them to refer folks to the website. They will no longer be issuing paper FA-10's. I did jsut complete an on line transaction and it was extremely easy. As longh as both parties have their ID's and the PIN number, it is super easy. Youare also able to save the PDF to your desktop and print it off. Before you do so, make sure you have Adobe Reader. The form populates with all the current info on both parties. As long as this works, I have to say it is easier than filling otu the papers and getting certified mail. No complaints here.

There was never any need to send Certified Mail . . . nothing other than a waste of money.

Not everyone conducts purchases/sales where they have wireless access or has a laptop, so while it may work fine at your home, it won't work at most gun clubs/parking lots/local fast food joints.

Jason assures me that he's also sent notices to all PDs about the new FA-10 paper forms. Many seem to have ignored that memo!

Yep,did one last night, it was a breeze. Printed it out and saved it in my document folder. Just click on print on the final screen and the document comes up, prnted it and then I saved it. Couldn't be easier. Sorry, would love to fight with my local PD for hard copies, then sweat bullets while trying to be certain I make no clerical errors filling it in... but I'll take the E-FA-10 and not worry about anything including mailing it and then worry about whether it made it to the right place

Just visited the Taunton PD, they have no clue about a new FA-10 form.

I commented that they would probably be very unhappy if I did a transfer in the library in order to use the computer there.

They were also quite amused by my interpretation of the law (Chapter 140: Section 128A) that specifically states the transfer must be reported "in writing to the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services on forms furnished by said executive director" - without case law showing that a website is specifically a form "in writing" everyone using the system is not in compliance and could be subject to arrest.

I'm going to continue to use the 3 part paper forms for as long as I can. I friggin hate the idea of this online BS but it looks like it's here to stay and will eventually phase out the paper forms. I'm on my way to pick up a few paper forms right now. Maybe I'll save one, frame it and mount on a wall in my mancave that I'll have some day.

There is another law dictating that everything should go to electronic, not paper.

I thought MUETA (Mass Gen. L. Ch. 110G) allowed for electronic records to be treeated the same as paper but did not force the use of electronic records

(found MUETA after ranting about "writing" versus electronic records)

Still sucks that the Linux version of PDF reader does not handle secure forms correctly so I have no idea if I could even retain or print an e-FA10 at all.
My only recourse would be to pay the $20 to get a copy of my records after the fact.

pastera, that is not your only recourse. A call to CJIS and they will mail you a copy of your transaction free, after a few questions to verify who you are, etc. So they do have a manual process to deal with failures of the system.

pastera, that is not your only recourse. A call to CJIS and they will mail you a copy of your transaction free, after a few questions to verify who you are, etc. So they do have a manual process to deal with failures of the system.

Wawhoo, right on the money Len. Thank you, I did my 2nd E-FA a few weeks ago and messed up and closed out the page before printing or saving it to a folder.... figured it went through ok, just wouldn't have an official copy... I looked up the CJIS online, called them and it took me a total of about 5-8 minutes from the time I read this post till posting this. 2 copies are being printed and mailed to my home address!!

Only problem.... his reaction when he was looking through my transactions... he asked me if I was a dealer...... I said why no, but I do like guns and tend to visit S&W retail way too much.. [grin]

It doesn't please me that they so quickly phased out paper. It should always remain an option. Do all Firearms owners have access to a computer or electronic form? I understand this, all I was trying to say is that it was pretty darn easy.

Last edited:
Funny you say that. The Sgt at the window at Taunton PD is the one we told me they no longer handed out FA-10's. This was the firs that I heard of it. He actually photocopied the email from the FRB and gave it to me. I agree with everyone that paper should be an option, but Taunton def knew about it.

Just visited the Taunton PD, they have no clue about a new FA-10 form.

I commented that they would probably be very unhappy if I did a transfer in the library in order to use the computer there.

They were also quite amused by my interpretation of the law (Chapter 140: Section 128A) that specifically states the transfer must be reported "in writing to the commissioner of the department of criminal justice information services on forms furnished by said executive director" - without case law showing that a website is specifically a form "in writing" everyone using the system is not in compliance and could be subject to arrest.

Funny you say that. The Sgt at the window at Taunton PD is the one we told me they no longer handed out FA-10's. This was the firs that I heard of it. He actually photocopied the email from the FRB and gave it to me. I agree with everyone that paper should be an option, but Taunton def knew about it.
Was referring to the new forms that LenS was talking about

You can take PDF with you for the f2f transaction, fill out all the particulars between the involved parties and complete the e-FA10 next time you get to a computer.

You can take PDF with you for the f2f transaction, fill out all the particulars between the involved parties and complete the e-FA10 next time you get to a computer.

This is not a bad idea. Then you have signed copies for each party, then go back and do the e-FA-10 to make the state happy.

For a transfer, only the seller needs their pin.

So then yes, they have but they have not replaced the PIN check with anything so now someone could "sell" a bunch of guns to someone without the "buyer" ever knowing it...

So then yes, they have but they have not replaced the PIN check with anything so now someone could "sell" a bunch of guns to someone without the "buyer" ever knowing it...

Yup, something I pointed out to Jason in my discussion. Thus, I prefer signatures, but the state doesn't care due to the law that allows them to use electronic means as a substitute for a signature.

Have they dropped the requirement that both parties use their pins?

I just did an EFA-10 recently and only my PIN (the seller) was required. The buyer's information was auto generated off of his permit number.

Incidentally, I had three PDF FA-10s sent back to me a few weeks ago - they were for C&R registrations. I was also given three serialized FA-10s, but only 1 page - and a form letter.

I just did an EFA-10 recently and only my PIN (the seller) was required. The buyer's information was auto generated off of his permit number.

Incidentally, I had three PDF FA-10s sent back to me a few weeks ago - they were for C&R registrations. I was also given three serialized FA-10s, but only 1 page - and a form letter.

Did you happen to get a form or version number from the new form?

Could someone scan one of the forms (black out the serial) and post?

Aaron

Aaron,

It's already been posted here. IIRC, date on it is 1/12. I asked someone to do exactly as you asked and it was done. Not sure what thread it is in however.

Did you happen to get a form or version number from the new form?

Could someone scan one of the forms (black out the serial) and post?

Aaron

The FA10s I got were 1 page serialzed versions. The instructions say to photocopy the original and save, while sending the original to the folks in Chelsea.

Back
Top Bottom