• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DYI Youth Stock

My son is turning 7 in July and I'm planning on getting him his first BB gun. Ideally, I'd like to see him learn with the BB gun in the back yard but I'd like to be able to let him try shooting a 22 when we go to the range. I thought about buying him a 22 like the Cricket or the Mossberg Youth Plinkster but the main complaint I've read about online has been that they outgrow it too fast and when spending $150+ it seems like a waste. I have two older, standard Ruger 10/22 rifles and eventually I'd like to give one to him. If I can either buy or make a shortened stock (keeping the original) he could fire the 10/22 when we go to the range together. I figure by keeping the original stock this old Ruger will be a great plinker for him into his teenage years.

I've seen a pre-made youth stock for the 10/22 on Brownell's site for $87 plus shipping. Personally, I don't see him needing the shorter stock for more than 2 years but his sister is currently 3 months old and she'll be shooting one day. I've thought about trying to find a used stock in any abused condition and cutting it down to fit him.

Has anyone done this before? Should I just buy the Brownell's stock?

I have a Marlin 70 which my son about the same age shoots. You can see in my avatar that the original stock was too long for him, making it a real chore to balance. I picked up a Ramline Lockarm stock for $16 from Numrich and shortened it myself just a few weeks ago. It turned out to be quite easy to do, and I know you can get a Lockarm for a 10/22 as well.

The nice thing about this stock is that it can be unpinned and lengthened about 2" so it has some room to grow with him before going back to the original stock. The possibly not-so-nice thing is that the pistol grip puts the trigger a bit further away from your hand so if your son has small hands it could be a stretch for him.

Here's the original wood and the Lockarm before shortening
2010-03-12 22.05.51&.jpg

After shortened and transplanted
2010-03-13 11.18.31&.jpg

And in action
2010-03-13 12.37.31&.jpg

If you want to go this route, I have a few more photos showing how I did the work and I can measure exactly how much I cut off to give you the actual number.

My friend just modified a standard 10/22 stock for his son. Relatively simple to do, doesn't have to be real pretty. You can probably get one for less than $30 maybe free (I would have given you mine if I didn't already give it away).

Thanks guys. Yeah, ugly is ok with me... I checked around for the Ramline Lockarm and it looks like it sells for about $50 for the 10/22. I'm going to the Concord gun show this month. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Ok, I've secured a used wooden, thanks to a member here. I"m planning on lobbing off 3 to 5 inches and checking for the fit. Once the fit seems right I'll look for some kind of recoil pad or butt plate.

Back
Top Bottom