DWM 1917 PO8 Luger

I finally made the plunge and bought a Luger. I will be selling a bunch of stuff to cover this but it will be worth it. I waited to find a good one and I think I got lucky.

It is an all original 1917 dated, all matching including the magazine and the striker, DWM. I would put finish at about 95% as there is some slight holster wear in the usual places. The holster is dated 1939 with maker and WaA stamp. No extra mag.

I really do not know Lugers that well and bought this on a whim. I just really liked it. If you would like to add any information please feel free. I would love to learn more about it if there is anything else to know. Thanks for looking.

DSCF4326.JPGDSCF4314.JPGDSCF4336.JPGDSCF4325.JPGDSCF4324.JPGDSCF4288.JPGDSCF4284.JPGDSCF4282.JPGDSCF4281.JPG

That is SO on my bucket list! Very cool purchase. Planning to shoot it?

I have never shot a luger before so I will put a few mags through her. I just have 2 left on my Big Three list, a 1911 and a BHP. But it will have to be a while before that happens.

P08 '17s of the World Unite! Of course he's going to shoot it. I wonder if there is a '17 Simson and Spandau out in NES land.

Have Fun! It is a plunge, but worth it.

T[smile]

'17 Erfurt marked to the machine gun company of the 122nd Wurttenburg Landwehr.

Nice.... it would be cool if there was a 17 Simson and Spandau on the board as well!

P08 '17s of the World Unite! Of course he's going to shoot it. I wonder if there is a '17 Simson and Spandau out in NES land.

Have Fun! It is a plunge, but worth it.

T[smile]

'17 Erfurt marked to the machine gun company of the 122nd Wurttenburg Landwehr.

Great overall condition, Niner. But possibly refinished. There should be white paint inside the GESICHERT (secure, safe), and there doesn't appear to be a halo effect around the barrel numbers. I could be wrong, but would need to see the barrel numbers a little better.

Still, very nice. And many WWI era Lugers were refinished if they stayed in Germany through WWII.

Edit to add: Pics of the mag numbers would also be nice!

Last edited:
Great overall condition, Niner. But possibly refinished. There should be white paint inside the GESICHERT (secure, safe), and there doesn't appear to be a halo effect around the barrel numbers. I could be wrong, but would need to see the barrel numbers a little better.

Still, very nice. And many WWI era Lugers were refinished if they stayed in Germany through WWII.

Edit to add: Pics of the mag numbers would also be nice!

Hmmm.. I am getting original from the folks over at the Luger Boards. I am not sure now. Here is a pic of the mag bottom. DSCF4338.JPG

DSCF4287.JPGDSCF4332.JPG

Here are some pics of the barrel numbers and proof marks. What do you think Martin? Do you need different pics? Can you explain the hallow effect? I have no idea what that is or why it is? Thanks.

I just found this info... and I believe I have the halo effect and raised edges. You can barely see it in the pic above with the first number. Here is a better pic with artificial light. I see a halo effect. What do you think?

DSCF4343.JPG

Yes, your last picture does show the halo effect on the barrel, so it is original. The mag is not a scrubbed and restamped like most, so that is a BIG bonus. But something doesn't look quite right around the safety/ear areas. No paint in the lettering, and a little splotchy dark and dull. Straw items have a little of the orange/blue from fire treatment, vs the yellow/gold.

I think this one has at least been touched up. No biggie, as it is old and has gone through two wars. Metal edges are sharp. Minimal dings and not much pitting, if any. It's a really nice rig. $1,500 minimum, and $2,000 on a brisk day of Gunbroker bidding.

I'll go check on the Luger boards, too.

Your tool could be genuine. There were WWI tools that were unmarked. Yours does not look like the cheaply-made knockoff sold on Keep Shooting or Amazon. If you have a micrometer, check the thickness of the tool. If it's 2.5mm, it is real. If it's closer to 3mm, it's a fake. I vote real WWI manufacture.

Your tool could be genuine. There were WWI tools that were unmarked. Yours does not look like the cheaply-made knockoff sold on Keep Shooting or Amazon. If you have a micrometer, check the thickness of the tool. If it's 2.5mm, it is real. If it's closer to 3mm, it's a fake. I vote real WWI manufacture.

2.5 mm.... cool... thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom