• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DWI and Firearms

Im sure this has been asked before but the search feature is not working on my computer. My question is will a DWI keep me from purchasing a shotgun. Just getting into hunting but made a mistake and now not sure if I will be able to buy a firearm.

Thanks
Johnnyboy

IIRC DWI/DUI is a misdemeanor so no it would not make you a federally prohibited person.

From your post you sound as if the DWI was recent. Quit drinking and be responsible before you purchase a firearm.

Drinking + guns greatly increases the chance of becoming a nominee for a Darwin award.

I may be corrected, but I believe in MA you can still possess an FID per MA law, but you may be prohibited under federal law. In MA a first offense carries a sentence of 2-1/2 years. Under federal law any conviction that can carry a sentence greater than 2 years makes you a felon in possession of a firearm. keep in mind it doesn't matter if you didn't actually do any time, it only matters what the the law says the sentence can be. I am assuming you were convicted of plead guilty? If so you are pretty much screwed. Again I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

IIRC DWI/DUI is a misdemeanor so no it would not make you a federally prohibited person.

FYI, a misdemeanor conviction with a potential penalty in excess of two years incarceration would be a federal dis-qualifier.

I may be corrected, but I believe in MA you can still possess an FID per MA law, but you may be prohibited under federal law. In MA a first offense [conviction after 5/27/94] carries a sentence of 2-1/2 years. Under federal law any conviction that can carry a sentence greater than 2 years makes you a felon in possession of a firearm. keep in mind it doesn't matter if you didn't actually do any time, it only matters what the the law says the sentence can be. I am assuming you were convicted of plead guilty? If so you are pretty much screwed. Again I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

FIFY. Also, the OP is in NH (and I'm assuming the DUI was also in NH).

MA differs from NH, in NH you are probably ok.

Yup, first offense simple (non-aggravated) DUI in NH carries no jail time. (Section 265-A:18(I)(a))

On what planet is a DWI/DUI a misdemeanor? Sorry but it is a criminal offense.

A misdemeanor is a criminal offense.

the OP is in NH (and I'm assuming the DUI was also in NH)

I don't see anything to indicate the OP is in NH.
huh.gif

I don't see anything to indicate the OP is in NH.
huh.gif

He's posting in the NH Gun laws subforum. [wink] So unless he just sprayed his post here, one might infer that he's from NH. Course who knows what state the offense occurred in.

-Mike

If that is ALL you did, there is no "rest" of the story, then you should be okay. They might delay you, especially if your case is pending in the courts, but you will be able to purchase. But, if that is not the entire story, and there are other charges associated with your case, it may not be so.

Back
Top Bottom