Duty to notify officer that you're carrying when stopped by an officer of the law.

IIRC in Maine (which is NOT Mass, for the record) there IS a duty to notify, a peculiar glitch in their CC law (unless you have a permit issued by Maine)

Worth mentioning as some of us travel around in the MA/ME/NH/VT area and it would suck if one recalled this thread and assumed it was more general.

Yep. It differs by state.
Likewise, my neighboring state South Carolina is a duty to notify, while Georgia isn't.

In NC, it is "duty to inform." The twisted part is that if one os pulled over, the cop already knows. NC ties CCH permits to DMV records. So, no matter what state I'm in, if I got pulled over, the trooper already knows.
In NC, if the first words out of my mouth are not "I have a permit, I have a gun and is on my hip at the 8:00 position, I could lose my permit.
Only criminals do not have to inform as requiring a criminal to tell a police officer that they have a gun would be a violation of the 5th amendment.
Another problem is that informing gives the officer immediate justification to draw and shoot. Trigger happy cops without body cam, obstructed cruiser cam. "I thought he was reaching for the gun (he was required by law to tell me he had).
One guy wrote about how his wife got pulled over. She complied with the law, told the cop she was armed. The a-hole stepped back, put his hand on his side arm and says "you are going to shoot me are you?"

Speaking of that... is there a listing of states that spray people's CCW info to NCIC? And if so, what level? (Resident, nonresident, or both?)

Strangely MA is one of the few that doesn't. (MA cops easily know, but foreign ones have no access).

In NC, it is "duty to inform." The twisted part is that if one os pulled over, the cop already knows. NC ties CCH permits to DMV records. So, no matter what state I'm in, if I got pulled over, the trooper already knows.
In NC, if the first words out of my mouth are not "I have a permit, I have a gun and is on my hip at the 8:00 position, I could lose my permit.
Only criminals do not have to inform as requiring a criminal to tell a police officer that they have a gun would be a violation of the 5th amendment.
Another problem is that informing gives the officer immediate justification to draw and shoot. Trigger happy cops without body cam, obstructed cruiser cam. "I thought he was reaching for the gun (he was required by law to tell me he had).
One guy wrote about how his wife got pulled over. She complied with the law, told the cop she was armed. The a-hole stepped back, put his hand on his side arm and says "you are going to shoot me are you?"

In states that I'm required to inform, I hand over my drivers license and my weapons permit at the same time. I state "I've handed you my weapons permit because I am armed". Then I sit there. It's worked for me - so far.

In states that I'm required to inform, I hand over my drivers license and my weapons permit at the same time. I state "I've handed you my weapons permit because I am armed". Then I sit there. It's worked for me - so far.
MD troopers seem to think that being out of state and having a permit is probable cause to tear a a car apart. :D

Who cares? He can do whatever he wants. It's up to you to decide whether you wish to comply.

If he does request it, and you sass him back, and he blows you away, you lose. I'd just comply and, perhaps, record. A lot of it depends on the tone and tenor of the stop, but I've been stopped many times and it's never really been anything on either side but professional. I can see many scenarios where a cop politely asks me to disarm and I politely agree to do so, but I usually take care to conduct myself in a way that makes him less likely to make that kind of request.
Saw a YouTube vid of an interaction similar to this. Cop asked him to hand over the fire arm "for his protection". The guy was standing outside the vehicle at that point. Guys says "if your going that route I prefer you take it off me so there is no confusion" and he put his hands in the surrender position. Cop took the handgun out of the holster....cleared it....and laid it on the roof of the car. Not a bad idea really.....if the cops dead set on takin it off me......he's gonna take it I'm not reaching for it.

How often are y'all getting pulled over anyway? There's a lot of stories here. In 20 years, Ive been pulled over once, not a lot of opportunity to test out various strategies.

For a while there, like maybe 10 years or so, I was running with 9 points on my CT license. Every time I'd clear a set, (2 years for DMV, 3 for insurance), I'd pick up another fast driving award. I kept getting notices warning me that one more infringement would result in my license being suspended.

Been better the last five years or so, only two tickets. The last one was last year - 93 in a 70 - oops.

I absolutely do have a lead foot.

For a while there, like maybe 10 years or so, I was running with 9 points on my CT license. Every time I'd clear a set, (2 years for DMV, 3 for insurance), I'd pick up another fast driving award. I kept getting notices warning me that one more infringement would result in my license being suspended.

Been better the last five years or so, only two tickets. The last one was last year - 93 in a 70 - oops.

I absolutely do have a lead foot.

My only speeding ticket was in the Netherlands. They do this civilly, they just send you a ticket in the mail. But, I'd hate to get caught carrying there.

How often are y'all getting pulled over anyway? There's a lot of stories here. In 20 years, Ive been pulled over once, not a lot of opportunity to test out various strategies.

Depends on the car. Drive a s**tbox and you get pulled over regularly. Been there.

For some time my regular ride was Mercedes. It looked like the sort of car would have a frigging Ambassador in the back seat. I've driven past speed traps doing 90mph+ and that was when the speed limit was 55. Drive past the same cop in my old Dodge Dart 1mph over the limit...

I've never been pulled over while driving a respectable looking, higher end vehicle. Just in the "rustic" ones.

For some time my regular ride was Mercedes. It looked like the sort of car would have a frigging Ambassador in the back seat.
This needs some of those magnetic signs with flags for the hood - keep a set for Israel for when in South Florida; Zamunda for when you are in the hood; Gadsen for the southern US and a State of TX flag for driving in that state.

If I'm stopped in MD, I wouldn't hand them a permit - my firearms would be locked up per FOPA - none of their concern.
If I'm stopped anywhere,
my car would be locked up per me:
  • If forced to exit the car,
    • Lock the doors and,
    • Pocket the keys.
  • Don't consent to a search.
    • WIthout probable cause, don't give them the keys to conduct a search.

What's the A stand for?
America.

Saw a YouTube vid of an interaction similar to this. Cop asked him to hand over the fire arm "for his protection". .... Guys says "if your going that route I prefer you take it off me so there is no confusion" ... Cop took the handgun out of the holster....cleared it....and laid it on the roof of the car.
Holding out for "... and had an ND".
Because a Clearing Pop is totally in their wheelhouse.

For a while there, like maybe 10 years or so, I was running with 9 points on my CT license. Every time I'd clear a set, ..., I'd pick up another fast driving award. ... I absolutely do have a lead foot.
Situational awareness is key.
waze_custom-d5f3471f7a930e1ae9f0a238cf9fbf591b1a99b4-s800-c85.jpg

This needs some of those magnetic signs with flags for the hood - keep a set for Israel for when in South Florida; Zamunda for when you are in the hood; Gadsen for the southern US and a State of TX flag for driving in that state.

I did seriously think about that. Not sure if you're old enough to remember Dallas? JR's ride in the early seasons was iirc the same model. Although mine wasn't new. It did look it though

Now I can't find a picture of the car but I think I recall seeing it

Back
Top Bottom