• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Duty to notify officer that you're carrying when stopped by an officer of the law.

They know you as soon as they run your plate or drivers licenses you hold a LTC prompting them to ask or not to ask...what you do beyond that is up to you.
This. They know. With that said the three or four times I’ve been stopped for speeding since I’ve had my LTC I’ve gotten away with just warnings. Two or three times when I have pulled my license out the LTC came with it and I just shuffled forward my license and quickly put the LTC back in my wallet.

Last edited:
Under what law? Not questioning the wisdom, but I am wondering, what law is broken if the respondent says "Sir, I will answer no questions other than to truthfully identify myself."
I believe, but I’d have to check, that it’s similar to you having to Id yourself and provide license and registration.

Gun, Gun, Gun!. We make it worse than it actual is. Any other part of the country its no big deal. No wonder why the Northeast states and the Democrats are so anti gun, Its not like your driving with nuclear waste around your belt. Be civil and know that it is you given right as a law abiding American citizen to carry a firearm. Rant complete.Happy New Year NES!

I'm not going to read every post here, but will tell you folks that there is NO MGL that requires you to announce that you are carrying or have guns in the car.

That said, the MDTs have windows-based software that when they run a plate/DL, if the person has a LTC, it will show up on the first screen along with DL picture and wants/warrants.

Personally I would not announce, but never lie if asked. In many cases telling an officer that you are armed will result in an over-reaction in MA (felony stop). Some officers may like you telling them, but you never know who you are going to get when an officer comes up to your window.

I'm not going to read every post here, but will tell you folks that there is NO MGL that requires you to announce that you are carrying or have guns in the car.

That said, the MDTs have windows-based software that when they run a plate/DL, if the person has a LTC, it will show up on the first screen along with DL picture and wants/warrants.

Personally I would not announce, but never lie if asked. In many cases telling an officer that you are armed will result in an over-reaction in MA (felony stop). Some officers may like you telling them, but you never know who you are going to get when an officer comes up to your window.

In mass you don’t not have to announce , but if asked you have the duty to inform the officer. I’m not sure that I’ve asked anyone who I knew had an LTC although I have asked others who did not. Sometimes they lie sometimes they don’t.

In mass if you are asked you must inform them. I believe it’s always good to keep hands on the wheel, inform the officer you are license d to carry and have a firearm on you , in the glove compartment etc. it drops the tension and if for some reason if you’re asked to get out of the car they won’t be surprised if it is noticed. My opinion only on that part.
At the risk of being a little pedantic, I'd say that you don't have to answer any question, but if you do, it must be truthful.

Doesn't the LTC show up on the movie screen when they run your DL?
It does. Mrs. KD and I sat it the back of a MSP cruise while the trooper showed us that we both had LTCs. I won't comment on the circumstances. ;)
That said, I've been pulled over several times. Assuming the trooper or cop had access to LTC information, I've NEVER been asked about it.

In mass you don’t not have to announce , but if asked you have the duty to inform the officer. I’m not sure that I’ve asked anyone who I knew had an LTC although I have asked others who did not. Sometimes they lie sometimes they don’t.

Citation for “if asked you have the duty to inform the officer”?

At the risk of being a little pedantic, I'd say that you don't have to answer any question, but if you do, it must be truthful.

It does. Mrs. KD and I sat it the back of a MSP cruise while the trooper showed us that we both had LTCs. I won't comment on the circumstances. ;)
That said, I've been pulled over several times. Assuming the trooper or cop had access to LTC information, I've NEVER been asked about it.
I answered the question and at the risk of sounding disparaging I actually answered it twice.

Setting aside “In mass you don’t not have to announce,” show us where it says either “ if you are asked you must inform them” or “if asked you have the duty to inform the officer.” Both are totally different statements than KD saying “you don't have to answer any question, but if you do, it must be truthful.”

You’re a cop, right?

The whole enchilada is on there, not just your LTC information.

No.... not in my experience at least. If I run someone through CJIS on our CAD, it only pops an LTC if they lived in the town I worked for. I would have to request that info separately for dispatch to run on CJISWEB

No.... not in my experience at least. If I run someone through CJIS on our CAD, it only pops an LTC if they lived in the town I worked for. I would have to request that info separately for dispatch to run on CJISWEB
Many cruisers in these parts have CJISWeb on the MDTs, so they can see it up without asking dispatch to run it.

Many cruisers in these parts have CJISWeb on the MDTs, so they can see it up without asking dispatch to run it.

Then we're both right? My point is that NES paranoia that a cop knows everything about every aspect of your life is only sleightly based in reality

True but if there's a duty to notify and you don't it could lead to big problems depending on the situation and who you're dealing with.
there is no duty to inform. In TX, there is. If I am carrying and pulled over for a stop I MUST hand them my LTC and notify them I am carrying without waiting to be asked. In MA/NH I have only been asked "anything in the vehicle I need to know about?" Nope. I'm doing nothing illegal and they don't need to know about me exercising my legal rights. IF they had asked "any weapons in the car" or something similar, the answer may have been different.

Woodsy I believe you are incorrect. IF they determine you have a firearm on you then you are required to produce your LTC. I don't recall any part of the law that says if they ask if I have an LTC I must produce it without them first determining I have a firearm. However, if I were asked (in MA since TX has a duty to inform) I would state "I have an LTC and I am carrying." Or if I was feeling snarky I would respond "I bet mine's bigger than yours."

"Officer, I just want to let you know I have a gun on me/in the vehicle" the only word they may hear is "gun". Could go south quick. Just something to think about.
This actually happened to an officer who teaches firearms courses in Worcester. He was stopped at night, out of town. The cop approached wearing a new uniform and shiny new badge, brand new hire.....he told the cop he was a police officer and had a gun on him. All the cop heard was GUN and the next thing he knew was staring down the barrel of the cops firearm.

Woodsy I believe you are incorrect. IF they determine you have a firearm on you then you are required to produce your LTC. I don't recall any part of the law that says if they ask if I have an LTC I must produce it without them first determining I have a firearm. However, if I were asked (in MA since TX has a duty to inform) I would state "I have an LTC and I am carrying." Or if I was feeling snarky I would respond "I bet mine's bigger than yours."
Make sure you get the last part on camera

You are not obligated under MGL to answer, but if the officer asks for your LTC and you have it with you, you are required to produce it.

Back
Top Bottom