Duracoat v. Cerakoting

A pistol I recenly purchased has a parkerized finish and I'm looking at having it either duracoating or cerakoting. I've been told that cerakoating is more durable but more expensive than duracoating. I am looking for pros and cons for each.

This pistol is carried occassionally, but lives in my safe most of the time and I am trying to determine which finish is most appropiate for my circumstances and budget.

I live in NH and I'm looking at State Line in Mason and Wicked Weaponry for doing the work.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Navy Moose

I would go with cerakote on a handgun as they see more wear. Duracoat is OK, the spray n shake I used on my m1a stock is not very durable though.

I can't say enough about Lou over at Business End Customs in Peabody. He does a great job cerakoting firearms. He also specializes in 1911, Glock, and M&P custom work. Lou cerakoted the stripped lower and upper of my LR-308 in Magpul FDE. Great finish and it matches the Magpul PRS stock and Troy FDE rail perfectly. He turned it around in a few weeks. Four Seasons has one of his M&P40's in FDE with stipling on display if you're curious how his pistol work is...

photo (2).jpg

the problem with duracoat is that it's marketed to DIY market and is confused with durabake. Most DIY don't have a beadblaster, don't prep surface well or have an oven.

I used durabake on my projects, apply with an airbrush and bake in an oven. Very good wear resistance, probably the same as cerakote or you can go with Flintoid's formula of spraying with enamel than bake in a pizza oven. Same shit, different cost.

Cerakote all day... I have a cerakoted lower that had some of the cerakote on the inside of the fire controls pocket. I had to sand it off before my trigger group would fit. That shit is HARD! It took a lot of work just to take off the small amount that got sprayed in to the pocket. It didn't look like they deliberately coated the pocket, it just looked like over spray, but even that thin it was a real pain in the ass to get it off.

Price wise there really isn't too much difference between the two coatings. It depends on who is doing it. Some places are just overpriced but most are reasonable.

This is a great vid:

It is a great video when you realize that ASTM D4060 is an abrasion test for Organic Coatings

Which. Are. Shit.

If you owned the ASTM spec (which is meant for paint, btw) you would know that you are using a taber tester on such a low weight that it's absolute horseshit. This spec is for paint, and cerakote is ceramic. This will simulate what is essentially your slacks rubbing on your testing surface with your erection on the other side. The specified pressure and friction is relatively harmless.

The fact that none of the other coating thicknesses are defines in this bullshit video raises eyebrows. Do you know how many microns of gunkote was applied in relaiton to this 6k pass Cerakote application?

Don't believe the hype. Is cerakote great for "Docker's Slacks" abrasion wear? yes. But is it exponentially better for impact resistance? Scratching from hard surfaces? Resistance to real-world abuse?

ASTM D4060 does not depict this adequately. So your video sucks a bag full of male reproductive organs.

Last edited by a moderator:
bullshit tends to get squashed easily by competent boots.

If I gave you an ISO spec # or a SAE standard, would you know what it meant? No, you wouldn't.

Wow talk about going full retard........this is the perfect example. You apparently have "ZERO" real world experience with the coatings being discussed. How many firearms have you coated with duracoat? How many with cerakote?

I've got a glock 19 that was cerekoted graphite black. About a month later of EDC in a kydex holster the slide is showing signs of minor wear. So take that FWIW. Just thought I would share my only experience with it.

You can give them to me, I am familiar with ASTM, ISO and lots of other specifications as I have to deal with them (including test equipment) all day. So instead of crapping on people, if you are such an expert, why don't you calmly explain why you are such an expert on abrasion testing. I'll point out a couple of things to you.

The test was performed to an ASTM standard test method - meaning that the same test was performed the under the same conditions for multiple samples. This allows you to compare abrasion resistance of multiple coatings, or finishes, under the same conditions to get relative results. While it was developed for paints they are all coatings so I don't think it is total bullshit at all. However it is a marketing piece, and everyone should keep this in mind.

They normalize the test results in cycles/mil of coating thickness so they account for the thickness of the coatings, contrary to your statements (I guess you didn't even watch the video).

They only talk about abrasion resistance, so your statements about impact resistance are out of context. I still can't tell from your angry, abusive posts if you think one product is better than the other or why.

Your analogy to slacks rubbing together is completely nonsensical as this test would never be used to test fabrics.

Your attitude really sucks, you can make valid points in a discussion without the bullshit personal attacks. I want you to post what your credentials and experience are to determine if you are a Google genius, or you actually know what you are talking about.

It is a great video when you realize that ASTM D4060 is an abrasion test for Organic Coatings

Which. Are. Shit.

If you owned the ASTM spec (which is meant for paint, btw) you would know that you are using a taber tester on such a low weight that it's absolute horseshit. This spec is for paint, and cerakote is ceramic. This will simulate what is essentially your slacks rubbing on your testing surface with your erection on the other side. The specified pressure and friction is relatively harmless.

The fact that none of the other coating thicknesses are defines in this bullshit video raises eyebrows. Do you know how many microns of gunkote was applied in relaiton to this 6k pass Cerakote application?

Don't believe the hype. Is cerakote great for "Docker's Slacks" abrasion wear? yes. But is it exponentially better for impact resistance? Scratching from hard surfaces? Resistance to real-world abuse?

ASTM D4060 does not depict this adequately. So your video sucks a bag full of male reproductive organs.

bullshit tends to get squashed easily by competent boots.

If I gave you an ISO spec # or a SAE standard, would you know what it meant? No, you wouldn't.

I've got a glock 19 that was cerekoted graphite black. About a month later of EDC in a kydex holster the slide is showing signs of minor wear. So take that FWIW. Just thought I would share my only experience with it.

Thats's why I would never even *think* of using a Kydex holster for a firearm that I even remotely cared about the finish of. Kydex is horrible as dust is attracted to it when you slide you gun in and out of it it's the same as sand paper. I'm into custom knives and just sliding them in and out of a kydex sheath a few times scratches the piss out of a nice hand rubbed blade which is why people line kydex sheaths.

Kydex CAN scratch your gun - AR15.Com Archive

Thats's why I would never even *think* of using a Kydex holster for a firearm that I even remotely cared about the finish of. Kydex is horrible as dust is attracted to it when you slide you gun in and out of it it's the same as sand paper. I'm into custom knives and just sliding them in and out of a kydex sheath a few times scratches the piss out of a nice hand rubbed blade which is why people line kydex sheaths.

Kydex CAN scratch your gun - AR15.Com Archive

Agreed, this is from the previous owner. A friend of mine. I use an Elite Survival IWB to carry it now. Good link btw for anyone considering it.

Back
Top Bottom