Duracoat Project

I wanted to share a few pics of a duracoat project I just completed. I picked up a banged up G 27 and decided to try out refinishing. I saw some youtube videos on it and it didnt look that hard. Instead of doing a two tone or a straight one color, i decided to do some stenciling. Next project will be a digital camo pattern. Duracoat is pretty cool stuff and easy to use if you have any airbrushing experience... also easy to learn.

Slide is done with Standard Red and Combat Black
Receiver is done with Desert Mirage Tan

glockduracoat.jpg

glock duracoat2.jpg

Last edited:
looks pretty cool. I thought airbrushing motorbike helmets was cool, but this definitely more interesting.

That tip of the barrel looks like that CA airsoft gun tip, is that what you were going for? Nice job man, may be flames next time.

Thanks man. I actually was on the fence about the tip of the barrel...I wanted to keep the "real" look, but the red tip just popped. Flames will def be in future projects!

The Arabic script translates to "infidel"

I like the air brushing, nice. But not too sure about that orange muzzle. In the world where we are programmed that orange muzzle = toy, I see an accident waiting to happen when some moron picks it up, points, and kapow. But otherwise, cool.

I like the air brushing, nice. But not too sure about that orange muzzle. In the world where we are programmed that orange muzzle = toy, I see an accident waiting to happen when some moron picks it up, points, and kapow. But otherwise, cool.

yeh.... i know toys have to have a half inch of flame orange some someshite for safety....
but i haven't read anything about painting a REAL gun's muzzle that way.....

i think the YHM muzzle brake on my AR would look nice in safety orange :)

Complete Product. I removed the Red on the barrel.

glock27.1.jpgglock27.2.jpg

Complete Fulcrum trigger which is adjustable to 2 l'bs.. Stainless guide rod. Titanium striker. This is my dream!

Last edited:
Looks great! I have an old bolt action rifle that I would like to do over in dessert tan. I have never used an airbrush before. I will search for some instruction. I assume long strokes and small layers at a time??? Did you use the high heat?

Looks great! I have an old bolt action rifle that I would like to do over in dessert tan. I have never used an airbrush before. I will search for some instruction. I assume long strokes and small layers at a time??? Did you use the high heat?

I did not use high heat as nothing gets really hot on this except the barrel. The biggest thing when using Duracoat is to have your air pressure perfect as well as the viscosity of your paint. The quality of the airbrush does matter. I don't care what anyone says. Those spray kits suck. I find that no thinning with about 35 lbs of pressure works best for my 2 stage brush, although I may reduce after the first coat just a bit. I also use clear coat.

As far as the brushing..you got it, long over strokes and thin layers at a time....i kept the brush about 8 inches away and used a large needle. I practiced on may pieces before doing the gun...also I would suggest building a spray box .. it will reduce the amount of particles that hit the air around the brush. Good luck with your project...post some pics after!!

How often do you leave your carry piece hanging around people? Mine is always in my holster if I'm not at the range.

Back
Top Bottom