• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dunstable: Gun blasts, a woman nearly hit, and questions

Tweed

NES Member
Stuff like this always irks me when a someone gets quoted that only the police are trained enough to handle firearms.

---------------------------------------------------

Gun blasts, a woman nearly hit, and questions
By Jack Minch, [email protected]
Article Last Updated: 08/23/2007 11:44:02 AM EDT

DUNSTABLE -- She was sitting in a lounge chair in the living room of her Oak Street home, watching television, when the round ripped through a screen on an open bathroom window, rattling off walls and doors and hitting about 4 feet over her head, showering her with pieces of plasterboard as she ducked in fear.

The shotgun blast, fired shortly before 10 p.m. on Aug. 4, left a dent in the front door, where the shell ricocheted before striking a glass pane on a set of French doors leading to the parlor. The shell finally fell to the floor of the entrance foyer without breaking the glass.

"Three shots rang. I said, 'That sounds really close,' and I got scared, and then the fourth one was this one," the woman said, indicating the gouge in the wall.

The woman, who asked not to be identified, rushed upstairs to her husband, who was sleeping in a bedroom. They called 911.

Shots were still being fired when an officer arrived at their home, said Police Chief James Downes.

Police say those shots came from a nearby
Advertisement
house, at 800 Main St., where two law-enforcement officers were allegedly drinking.

Downes declined to identify the two men linked to the shooting because criminal charges have not been filed. A source said one of the men works for the Reading Police Department and the other for the Middlesex Sheriff's Office.

"They were law-enforcement officials, and their agencies were called to take administrative action," Downes said.

The woman said the Dunstable officer who came to her Oak Street house wasn't sure if he was being shot at and entered with his weapon drawn. He then left her and her husband while he searched behind the house and determined where the shots were coming from.

Dunstable town records indicate that David Winkowski lives at the Main Street home. A Deputy David Winkowski drove the Middlesex Sheriff's 40-foot mobile command center during a relief effort to Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina in September 2005, according to a newspaper account at the time.

The Reading officer has not been identified. Reading Police Chief James Cormier yesterday declined to discuss the incident.

"We are aware of the situation that occurred in Dunstable," Cormier said. "It's an internal personnel matter and I'm not at liberty to discuss internal personnel matters."

Sheriff James DiPaola's office did not return a telephone call seeking comment.

A reporter knocked on the door of 800 Main St. yesterday, but there was no answer.

Chief Downes said Dunstable police have not yet filed charges against the men because of "conflicting reports" given during the investigation. Police did, however, file a complaint against both men in Ayer District Court, alleging negligent use of a firearm, discharging a firearm while intoxicated, discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling, disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, and discharging a firearm within 150 feet of a roadway, Downes said.

He declined to explain the conflicts in the reports given to police.

"There needs to be judicial review to determine if there's enough evidence to file criminal charges against these individuals," Downes said.

Let me translate these for you.

Downes declined to identify the two men linked to the shooting because criminal charges have not been filed. A source said one of the men works for the Reading Police Department and the other for the Middlesex Sheriff's Office.
We're not letting the peons know who it was until we have time to cover it up and come up with a good story. After all, these aren't civilians that we can just arrest; these are guys we may have to work with... and trust with a gun behind our backs. If they were peons civilians, however, we'd have them in jail so fast it'd make your head spin.

"They were law-enforcement officials, and their agencies were called to take administrative action," Downes said.
We have to protect our own; we can't let them get arrested because then when WE do it, we might get arrested ourselves. Besides, they're cops and no one was hurt, so they didn't really commit a crime.

I just want to ask the Dunstable PD ONE question: "If those two drunks WEREN'T cops, would you have arrested them?"

Last edited:
Since when do you shoot a shell? Don't they mean the slug or the pellets. I find it hard to believe that a shell caused damage to a door after ricocheting.

drove the Middlesex Sheriff's 40-foot mobile command center during a relief effort to Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina in September 2005, according to a newspaper account at the time.

He was just testing some of the guns he confiscated.

Follow Up

http://www.lowellsun.com/local/ci_8729309
Cop gets probation for firing gun in Dunstable

Article Last Updated: 03/28/2008 11:47:03 AM EDT

AYER -- An Ayer District Court judge on Tuesday ordered a Reading police officer accused of firing a shotgun during horseplay in Dunstable last summer to nine months of probation and ordered him to abstain from alcohol.
It was a similar sentence to one given to Middlesex Sheriff's Department deputy David B. Winkowski on March 4.
Wilson was charged with discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building and disturbing the peace.
On the evening of Aug. 4, Winkowski and Wilson, also a Dunstable resident at the time, allegedly fired a shotgun loaded with slugs out a bathroom window at Winkowski's North Main Street home.
One of the slugs went through the woods and into a house on Oak Street, narrowly missing a woman doing a crossword puzzle while watching television.
Wilson agreed there were sufficient facts to convict him, but Judge Peter Kilmartin continued the case without a finding until Dec. 24 so that Wilson's record will be cleared if he follows the rules of probation.
Kilmartin ordered Wilson to write a letter of apology to the victim and her husband, who was upstairs in the house when the slug hit, that will be relayed through the probation department. Wilson is barred from drinking alcohol and can't have contact with the victims.
Winkowski was charged with improperly storing a firearm, discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building and disturbing the peace.
He also agreed there was sufficient evidence to reach a guilty
verdict but the case was continued to March 4 without a finding for a year at which point his record can be cleared if he doesn't violate probation.
As part of his probation, Winkowski is ordered to pay a $500 fine and write a letter of apology to the victims. He was also barred from using alcohol and ordered to undergo random screenings.
Reading Police Chief James Cormier wasn't available for comment last night.

It must be nice to be able to get away with drunkenly firing rounds out a window for no reason, almost killing someone, and only get your drinking "privilege" taken away for 9 months. Oh yea and then getting your record expunged.

The rest of us would lose at the least our freedom for that long.

A normal person might be lucky enough to get the same deal, but would leave the system as "an ex LTC holder".

I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm really not. Apparently Judge Kilmartin also subscribes to the "Cops shouldn't do jail time when they break the law" theory.

Disgusting.

It must be nice to be able to get away with drunkenly firing rounds out a window for no reason, almost killing someone, and only get your drinking "privilege" taken away for 9 months. Oh yea and then getting your record expunged.

The record is NOT going to be "expunged," your claims to that effect notwithstanding. The case will be closed after the probation period; however, the arrest and CWOF will be on Bozo's record forever.

That said, the sentencing is absurd. Let us see if he keeps his LTC....

Absolutely positively pathetic. Anyone here would, at the very least, be deemed "unsuitable", and at worst, you would go to jail. Nice to see that people have a get out of jail free card. [thinking]

"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it...Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
Theodore Roosevelt
Third Annual Message to Congress, December 7, 1903

YES,, IT IS SAD WHEN A OFFICER IS KILLED IN LINE OF DUTY!
MY HEART GOES OUT TO ALL,,,,,, IT IS SO TOUGH!!!!

THEY ARE STILL WITH US!

What is this weirdness all about and who is this lunatic with the all caps ranting off subject?

We are still talking about the OP re: the outcome of the the drunken LEO shooting party last fall, right?

Last edited:
BEING A SISTER OF A POLICE OFFICER,,,, AND A FEW OF YOU KNOW WHO I AM TALKING ABOUT!!! END OF WATCH 05/08/07

I JUST HINK ITS NOT RIGHT! IF IT WAS I OR SOMEONE ELSE,, WELL NEED I SAY MORE?

ME
YES,, IT IS SAD WHEN A OFFICER IS KILLED IN LINE OF DUTY!
MY HEART GOES OUT TO ALL,,,,,, IT IS SO TOUGH!!!!

THEY ARE STILL WITH US!

capslock.jpg

It's the crap like this that makes me so cynical about Police Depts. at times. 2500 Great cops reputations tarnished by 2 drunken idiots who should be sitting in jail right now. The Higher Command needs to see how bad this looks in their employer's (citizens) eyes.

I think Rose is telling us that her LEO brother was killed in the line of duty. He was a noble man and would not condone the actions of the two drunks in the OP. The caps, well, I guess I'm a bit forgiving of them. After a tragic loss, sometimes it helps to scream.
Peace.
Best Regards.

ok

I think Rose is telling us that her LEO brother was killed in the line of duty. He was a noble man and would not condone the actions of the two drunks in the OP. The caps, well, I guess I'm a bit forgiving of them. After a tragic loss, sometimes it helps to scream.
Peace.
Best Regards.

ok...that was unclear.

I have a friend who works for Dunstable PD, I'll have to send him and email and see whats up with this and if there's any info the media hasn't released.

Gun blasts, a woman nearly hit, and questions
Article Last Updated: 08/23/2007 11:44:02 AM EDT

DUNSTABLE -- She was sitting in a lounge chair in the living room of her Oak Street home, watching television, when the round ripped through a screen on an open bathroom window, rattling off walls and doors and hitting about 4 feet over her head, showering her with pieces of plasterboard as she ducked in fear.

Police say those shots came from a nearby
Advertisement house, at 800 Main St., [here two law-enforcement officers were allegedly drinking.

Downes declined to identify the two men linked to the shooting because criminal charges have not been filed. WHY NOT!

I'D BE LOCKED UP AND CHARGED WITH ATTEMPTED MURDER OF A POLICE OFFICER SINCE THE OFFICER RESPONDING STATED THAT HE THOUGHT HE WAS BEING SHOT AT UPON REACHING THE SCENE.

The Reading officer has not been identified. Reading Police Chief James Cormier yesterday declined to discuss the incident.
TOUGH $HIT... NEXT TIME I GET PULLED OvER AND YOU ASK ME TO SEE MY LISCENCE AND REGISTRATION I THINK I WILL TELL YOU NO...I DON'T WANT TO DISCUSS THIS INCIDENT.

A reporter knocked on the door of 800 Main St. yesterday, but there was no answer. HE WAS PROBABLY SLEEPING IT OFF... OR OUT BUYING MORE AMMO FOR NEXT FRIDAYS DRUNKEN SKEET SHOOT AT THE LOCAL KINDERGARDEN.

"There needs to be judicial review to determine if there's enough evidence to file criminal charges against these individuals," Downes said. I GUESS A SMOKING GUN IN THE HANDS OF A DRUNK COP IS NOT ENOUGH... MAYBE THEY NEED TO CALL IN THE CSI GUYS...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom