• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dunno about you, but I want it. bad.

Agnotology

NES Member
Anyone wanna loan me the $3 to $4 grand this is gonna go for?

Edit: it sold for $2000. That's a hell of a deal.

edit 2: misread the date, it sold 2 years ago, but still a really cool pistol

Last edited:
You don't want the Mark I -- it takes a 45 win mag cartridge. You have to reload or buy from someone who reloads that cartridge (there are people out there that do but of course expensive). The Mark IV is 44 mag and the Mark V is 50 AE. Those are rare as hens teeth.

I shit you not, this was my first handgun, and I carried it in a shoulder holster. It was quite unpleasant to shoot, I assure you.

Assigned to the Arctic Circle were ya' Frenchie?

iu

You don't want the Mark I -- it takes a 45 win mag cartridge. You have to reload or buy from someone who reloads that cartridge (there are people out there that do but of course expensive). The Mark IV is 44 mag and the Mark V is 50 AE. Those are rare as hens teeth.

That particular gun came with 2 conversion kits, to .40 and .45 ACP. Thus why I wanted it so bad... and the ability to put 1300 ft-lbs out of an autoloader rustles my jimmies in all the right ways. That's better than .50 AE on par with rounds like .454 Casull, .460 SW, .475 Linebaugh, and .500 SW. (handloads not withstanding)

.45 Win Mag can be bought off the shelf right now too, albeit at $1-2 a round from Underwood.

Last edited:
That particular gun came with 2 conversion kits, to .40 and .45 ACP. Thus why I wanted it so bad... and the ability to put 1300 ft-lbs out of an autoloader rustles my jimmies in all the right ways. That's better than .50 AE on par with rounds like .454 Casull, .460 SW, .475 Linebaugh, and .500 SW. (handloads not withstanding)

.45 Win Mag can be bought off the shelf right now too, albeit at $1-2 a round from Underwood.

Actually, no, 50AE is around 1500-1600 ft lb muzzle energy while 45 win mag is around 1300. The win mag has a lower bullet weight (230 vs 300-325 for the 50) with a little faster travel (~1600 FPS vs 1400-1500 for the 50 although some 50’s can get up to 1550 and push over 1600 ft lb). I had the Mark I with the 357 mag conversion barrel. It was fun in 357. I still have a Mark V. Neither the 45 WM nor the 50 are fun to shoot for more the a few mags. The muzzle flip and recoil is tremendous but muzzle flip can be completely eliminated with a good comp. Even with the comp you better prepare to be pushed backwards and therefore need a strong stance. I have $3600 into my Mark V. It is more or less a collector’s piece given that while some parts are 1911, many are not and of course no longer in production. I have the shoulder holster too.

Actually, no, 50AE is around 1500-1600 ft lb muzzle energy while 45 win mag is around 1300. The win mag has a lower bullet weight (230 vs 300-325 for the 50) with a little faster travel (~1600 FPS vs 1400-1500 for the 50 although some 50’s can get up to 1550 and push over 1600 ft lb). I had the Mark I with the 357 mag conversion barrel. It was fun in 357. I still have a Mark V. Neither the 45 WM nor the 50 are fun to shoot for more the a few mags. The muzzle flip and recoil is tremendous but muzzle flip can be completely eliminated with a good comp. Even with the comp you better prepare to be pushed backwards and therefore need a strong stance. I have $3600 into my Mark V. It is more or less a collector’s piece given that while some parts are 1911, many are not and of course no longer in production. I have the shoulder holster too.

Apologies, I was looking at a ballistic chart for the other rounds while using a specific load (230@1600fps) for the .45 win mag. Average loads for .45 WM put it at 1100 ft lbs

Do not want. Sure it is interesting, but I think if I ever really felt the need to carry a huge hand gun with huge stopping power, I would opt for one of the big S&W revolvers, for reliability alone.
From a collectors point of view, the Mark I has a cool factor that is off the charts. For practicality, I would likely choose a 500, 454 casul or even a 44 mag.
I work with a guy that spent some time out in Alaska working in grizzly country. It was a rule that if you went outside you had to be armed. He carried a shot gun with slugs and lots of guys carried a rifle. He went on a couple of fishing trips to Kodiak. They never fished alone. Usually groups of 3 with two guys fishing and one guy facing the other way watching for bear. They carried a hand gun as a last resort. He said it was not uncommon for a bear to charge when a fish was landed. Personally, I would have found a different place to fish. For the most part, if Yogi wanted the salmon, you give it to him.The problems arise if you are between the fish and the bear. He saw lots of bear and never had to shoot one, but lost some fish. When multiple bear showed up, you were done fishing for the day. The most dangerous time was the hike back to the vehicle with your catch.

Yep.... so I just want it for the same reason someone wants the big v-8 or turbo model. Because you know what it can do.

Back
Top Bottom