Dummy Ammo for Practice

KMaurer

NES Member
I've been bitching about the dummy ammo that's available in most places around here for years. It's either the spring-loaded snap caps at ~$5 a round. or the cheap plastic at ~$1 a round. If you dry fire with the plastic stuff, the rims break off, and if you use the snap caps for more than one or two clearing drills, they tend to crack and jam your gun. (Same if they regularly get ejecting onto the floor of your classroom a few dozen times, as mine do in short order.)

When we did John Peterson's class last spring he had some practice rounds I hadn't seen previously. They were regular cartridge cases, with a bright plastic bullet and no primer. I finally got around to ordering some, and am very happy with what I got. Even with the shipping, they're significantly cheaper than anything else I've seen in the shops, and they look like they'll last longer.

They're available from S.T. Action Pro. I ordered 15 rounds each of .38SPL, 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP for under $40, including regular shipping, from their web site and got the package from UPS 3 days later. If I need more, I'll be going back to them.

Ken

Those look good except the shotgun dummies look a more like the real ones than they ought to, in that they have colored bright plastic cases. Maybe they should have used zebra stripes or something more differentiating...

KMaurer said:
I've been bitching about the dummy ammo that's available in most places around here for years. It's either the spring-loaded snap caps at ~$5 a round. or the cheap plastic at ~$1 a round. If you dry fire with the plastic stuff, the rims break off, and if you use the snap caps for more than one or two clearing drills, they tend to crack and jam your gun. (Same if they regularly get ejecting onto the floor of your classroom a few dozen times, as mine do in short order.)

When we did John Peterson's class last spring he had some practice rounds I hadn't seen previously. They were regular cartridge cases, with a bright plastic bullet and no primer. I finally got around to ordering some, and am very happy with what I got. Even with the shipping, they're significantly cheaper than anything else I've seen in the shops, and they look like they'll last longer.

They're available from S.T. Action Pro. I ordered 15 rounds each of .38SPL, 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP for under $40, including regular shipping, from their web site and got the package from UPS 3 days later. If I need more, I'll be going back to them.

Ken

Brownells also sells what they call ACTION PROVING DUMMIES. They are used by Gunsmiths when they need to check how an action cycles, extracts, etc.

They are regular cases, painted or plated black, no primer, and a regular FMJ bullet.

Their weight is very close to a live cartridge, and a magazine full of them can be used for reloading and malfunction drills and will feel like a mag full of live rounds.

Regards
John

I use the Saf-T-Trainers.

saf_t_trainers.jpg

I paid $14.00 for bags of 50 for 9mm and .40.

I use both A-Zoom and the orange Safety Trainers.

Zombie, where do you get the safety trainers in bulk?

CD

Back
Top Bottom