Dumb Question of the Day

Do you think Willie Andrews will be doing the "mandatory" year in prison for his unlicensed gun?

Troubled New England Patriot Willie Andrews is behind bars again after allegedly holding a powerful handgun to his fiancee’s head when she accused him of cheating on her.

The couple were arguing when the 24-year-old Pats defensive back allegedly pulled a .45-caliber Glock, waved it around and then held it to her temple, the 23-year-old woman told police.

[...]

He was arrested at his apartment soon afterward, and a .45 Glock was later found near a Dumpster outside his apartment complex, police said.

Andrews was arraigned yesterday at Attleboro District Court on charges of assault with a dangerous weapon and possession of a high-capacity firearm without a Firearm Identification Card.

[...]

It is the second time the Patriots defensive back has gone afoul of the law this offseason.

In February, just two days after the Patriots’ Super Bowl defeat, Andrews was busted in Lowell for driving around with a half-pound of marijuana and $6,800 in cash in his car. That case was continued without a finding.

Andrews was also jailed for 30 days in his native Texas after being caught by cops with a .25-caliber pistol in the trunk of his car while on probation for a criminal mischief conviction.

Follow-up question. Have the Pats terminated this a**h***'s contract yet? If not, why not? Do they have a 14-strikes policy I'm not aware of.

Considering the Offensive Frontline was on Oxycontin during the Super Bowl, this is a mere slap on the wrist... [thinking]

In all seriousness, they need to dump this serious @$$hole: Not that sports players are role models, but the last thing I thought the Patriots would turn into was the Gridiron Gang.

He obviously wants attention - as long as people pay attentiion to it, he gets what he wants. It is a obsession of sorts, each time will get bigger and bigger - what hyped him before won't be enough, it will be something bigger each time. This is not a new development for him - he has drawn attention for years like this, and it has worked for him. It would take alot of "not paying attention" to have him stop - at this point who knows how far he will take it.

So when your kids start "acting up" and "acting out"...think about this character.

I like the idea that he was driving around with marijuana and there has been no "finding" - can this be used as a precedent in future cases? - it really is getting old that our legal entities spend so much concern over marijuana.

Where have you guys been? State and federal laws do not apply to the military, LEO's, elected officials, celebrities or sports players. It says so in the judge's handbook.

Not that I want to defend this guy (he deserves whatever he gets), but do you really think the woman recognized immediately that the gun was a ".45 glock." Come on, sounds like this story has been doctored a bit. I am sure in her statement she said, "I was just minding my own business when he pulled out an unregistered and illegal .45 glock with a high capacity magazine and put it to my head." Damn communist media.

Last edited:
I like the idea that he was driving around with marijuana and there has been no "finding" - can this be used as a precedent in future cases? - it really is getting old that our legal entities spend so much concern over marijuana.[/QUOTE said:
Continued without a finding is an admission of sufficient facts that you are guilty; but allows you to avoid a guilty finding on your record. It's usually for first time minor offenders.
No precedent set here. They've been using it for years.

Though, they did properly use the term "powerful handgun" in this article. Usually anything with a muzzle velocity over that of a straw wrapper being blown off gets that label. But, in this case, it was somewhat appropriate to use, so as to differentiate the .45 from the .25 referenced in the last paragraph.

If Deval had half a sack, he'd make this guy an example and call for his ass to be sent up the proverbial river. But, of course, that might ruffle the feathers of some of his very rich friends.

Welcome to Massachusetts: Money talks, criminals walk.

If Deval had half a sack, he'd make this guy an example and call for his ass to be sent up the proverbial river. But, of course, that might ruffle the feathers of some of his very rich friends.

Welcome to Massachusetts: Money talks, criminals walk.

Amen. I have heard of one case, years ago, where a teenager got the year for shooting a .22 in a sand pit with no FID. Nothing to plea bargain. For celebreties, if it doesn't fit, you must aquit, right? Jack.

IF - again, IF - he is convicted of A&B/DW, the unlawful possession sentence will become part of the larger sentence for the assault.

In short, the much-vaunted "Bartley-Fox Law" is NOT really a deterrent to criminals because it only affects them if they are caught during a mere Terry frisk or the like. They are far more likely to be caught with the gun while committing a far more serious crime with it, the sentence for which is longer than the concurrent sentence for possession of the firearm.

Again, a law which effectively targets only the otherwise lawful citizen. How typically Massachusetts.

Perfect. Another example of not properly enforcing the laws we already have while trying to create more restrictions on those who aren't criminals. If they're going to even bother having it on the books, an unlicensed person carrying a pistol ought to receive a stand alone year not open to plea bargain, to run consecutive with any other charge. You'd think common sense would dictate wanting to get those who carry firearms illegally off the street for an extra year in the name of public safety. But no... when it comes to the actual scumbags let's do a half-assed job of enforcing the laws we already have and instead create more! I'm not surprised by stuff like this having lived in MA. all of my life, but blatant stupidity never fails to annoy the hell out of me.

Last edited:
Was glad to hear that this morning. They acted fast on it too.

About time a pro sports player gets held accountable for his action by his employer.

From the Globe:

It's not the first time Andrews, a seventh-round draft choice of the Patriots out of Baylor in 2006, has been arrested on a gun-related charge. In 2002, he was arrested and charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon near Longview, Texas.

Less than two months ago, Andrews, 24, faced a marijuana distribution charge that stemmed from his arrest in Lowell, where police pulled him over and allegedly found him to be in possession of approximately a half-pound of marijuana and $6,808 in cash. After he pleaded to a possession charge May 9, Judge Neil Walker ordered Andrews's case continued without a finding for a year.

Not the first time he's been stupid with firearms...

Troubled New England Patriot Willie Andrews is behind bars again after allegedly holding a powerful handgun to his fiancee’s head when she accused him of cheating on her.

Is any gun not "powerful" to these people? Do you think his fiancee would have felt better if he only held a .32 caliber to her noggin? These people write like the guy who does the movie ads talks: "In a world, where football stars hold powerful handguns to people's heads...."

Back
Top Bottom