• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dumb Idea for polishing brass? or Genius??

I may try the lizard litter was mentioned a while ago.

I've been using it for some time now. Hit PetSmart or a similar store.

Hint: Add a shot of Dillon liquid polish or equivalent. A little goes a long way; make sure it is distributed and dry before adding brass. Amazing how many people try to tumble brass with wet polish in the media.......

The lizard litter stuff is crushed walnut shells. It's a common tumbling media.

It's NOT like kitty litter, there's no clay, etc.

It's just small pcs of walnut shells. They are harder than corn cob grit.

The only people who shouldn't use the walnut shells are the people with NUT ALLERGIES.

The stuff I have been getting recently is smaller particles than I used to get, which is great!

This is the stuff to look for:
It's $6-$7 most places.
One bag will fill a Dillon 1000 tumbler.

base_media

Last edited:
Excellent point. Yet I've seen old farts brag about how long they've had their media and just add a little Brasso every load or two.

They're still not as bad as those who think you can clean media. The dryer sheet thing helps, but all it does is prolong the inevitable.

I know guys that use it till it basically turns black, then throw it away. It's probably just about radioactive by that point.... [laugh]

-Mike

They're still not as bad as those who think you can clean media. The dryer sheet thing helps, but all it does is prolong the inevitable.

True, but the best aspect of the dryer sheets is trapping the lead-contaminated primer residue. LOTS harder to inhale when its in the sheet.

My recipe still is:

• Crushed walnut shells
  • 1 capful (less than an ounce) NuFinish liquid car polish
  • Couple ounces of distilled mineral spirits

Let that vibrate in the tumbler for a while to mix, before adding the brass in.

The mineral spirits does THREE things:
1) helps dissolve the crud on your brass
2) Helps distribute the polish better
3) adds a level of moisture to the media, eliminating the "dust" that everyone worries about.

My opinion: Dryer sheets are right up there with polishing the brass in your hub caps.

I put cut-up used dryer sheets in with my media because they serve a very useful purpose: The allow me to remove some of the contaminants each time I run the tumbler.

My opinion: Dryer sheets are right up there with polishing the brass in your hub caps.

And you are entitled to it.

My opinion, based upon several years of practice, is that used dryer sheets are beneficial.

Whereas, I have read more than one post about your ostensibly beneficial moisture from mineral spirits causing the media to clump in the cases.

Thanks; I'll pass on your system and stick to mine.

Back
Top Bottom