• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Duck hunting advice request.

Hey guys,
Scouted a good location that should take me through my first duck hunting season.

I'll be hunting using a pump gun, and found some public land that looks to be non-public. Has about 5 nice ponds, all wadable. All currently holding a decent number of ducks and geese.

Any suggestions for gear, setup, anything?

I've got some good waders dialed in, going to find a good jacket. I'll also be working on setting up a blind using local materials and some grass mats. I don't know much about decoy setup theory, or if you even need it. Any recs on calls and how to use them?

If this season goes well, I'm going to look into getting a dog of course, but for now, going to start small.

You got a good start - the location is key.

After safety and # of ducks, warmth is important [devil2], so remember the layers and stay dry.

As far decoys, setup and calls, Ducks Unlimited is a great site. Here is a link to their Decoy Tips and Tactics section:
Duck Decoy Spreads, Tips & Tactics
They keep publishing info, so be sure to check back regularly.

Keep your decoy spread small most ponds you don't need more then 6 or so decoys
get a wading pole walking stick old ski pole if the bottom of the pond is soft or muddy helps keep your balance. Lots of good duck call vids on youtube I find less is more with calling. Take this free advice as free advice I am not the most seasoned duck hunter.

Most likely you'll be using the "shit poke" technique. Walk through the stuff that smells like shit and poke your head in and see if anything is on the water. Also, keep in mind depending on the size of the place, once you light up the joint, you might be done for the day. That's kind of like my spot.

After safety and # of ducks, warmth is important [devil2], so remember the layers and stay dry.
I learned how to layer in SF, and mastered it while living in Somerville. I'm even going to layer what I wearing for bottoms. I'll check the DU site, they didn't even come to mind when I was thinking about duck hunting. Derp. I appreciate the link too, checking it out now. I especially dig the largesse in the article here:
Big Decoy Spread Yields Big Results
FTA - "This past season, Powley's spread peaked at 1200 duck decoys, 250 Canada goose floaters and another 200 field Canada decoys on dry ground behind his blind."

I'll read through all this.

Sparkey - great suggestion on the old ski pole! There's a ski swap coming up, I'll make up a couple walking sticks. I was thinking of picking up a 12 pack of decoys, so a small number spread would be an easily manageable thing.

Mike-Mike - the place is on the smaller side, so you might be right, it's a one and done type thing for the day. Not saying I'd go in after that, but might be done for the day. Out here you can only duck hunt on Wed, Sat, and Sun. So I don't see a high chance of burning the spot out for the season.

A few things come to mind. In no particular order.

You want to setup where the ducks want to be. Where they want to be changes throughout the season.

Foul weather is the best time to hunt.

Learn how to call.

Motion decoys work, especially in early season with uneducated birds.

An untrained dog is more trouble than they are worth. A well trained dog can be priceless.

Learn to sit still - don't call, you'll only scare them - don't' move - camo don't work if you move - don't call - if you are where they want to be you don't need decoys - don't move.

when you find the prefect gloves let me know

2 3/4 will work if you know how to hunt not just shoot

if you hear the whistle, look the other way

If they are teal, turn around an wait 10 minutes - the earth is round, they'll be back

less is more

don't move

post up when you find a good breakfast joint

good luck

20130912_145242.jpg

I picked up this little boat recently and cannot wait for duck season. It's a Beavertail Final Attack sneak blind boat. Has wheels built into the back of it for easy transport. I bought a 54-lb thrust trolling motor and a new marine battery and the thing screws along much faster than I could paddle it. Plenty of room inside (even with the blind doors closed as pictured) for decoys, gun, battery, extra ammo, coffee, etc... The back rest and blind cover were extra but all in all I spent about a grand putting it together.

If you end up hunting solo, with no dog, in bodies of water that are too deep to wade across, I recommend something like this. The blind cover has tons of small straps stitched into it so you can add local foliage but I obviously didn't need it to take down this honker on my birthday last month. [wink]

With the doors opened...
20130912_145206.jpg

Last edited:
Being where the ducks want to be is key. You'll need to figure out if they are roosting there overnight or coming in in the morning. If they roost there, you'll be busting them off the water going in.

As far as a gear, if it's a small pond a dozen duck decoys an a half dozen goose decoys will work. You want to be set up with the wind to your back because they will want to land into the wind. Create a pocket for the birds to land into, meaning fill up the space you don't want them to land.

Camo is good but a well brushed blind and no movement is key. Call only at wing tips and tail feathers. My best "duck sounding" duck call is a $20 Haydel DR-85, and I have the $150 acrylic one's too, but that one sounds the best! Calling does take practice, but less is definitely more. Try to imitate what you here them doing on the pond.

The next best thing to a dog is a kayak. You can paddle very skinny water and get into spots a canoe cant access.

Most of all, take ethical shots, birds that are cupped up in your face are the easiest shot. Those are the birds you "fooled", when you do that, shooting birds 60 yards up passing by seems unsporting...and it is in my opinion.

Welcome to the addiction of duck hunting.

Look into shot shells from hevi-shot.. They make 3 different duck products hevi-metal, speedball, and the original hevi-shot... Its not cheep but its worth it.. Keep in mind when looking at prices the speed ball and the hevi shot are in boxes of ten not 25... Heavy metal is sold in boxes of 25.. I use it for ducks when I see a decent amount.. If you are jumping wood ducks.on a.river or in a situation where you may only get a shot at 1 or two birds use the better stuff!

Learn to sit still - don't call, you'll only scare them - don't' move - camo don't work if you move - don't call - if you are where they want to be you don't need decoys - don't move.

when you find the prefect gloves let me know

2 3/4 will work if you know how to hunt not just shoot

if you hear the whistle, look the other way

If they are teal, turn around an wait 10 minutes - the earth is round, they'll be back

less is more

don't move

post up when you find a good breakfast joint

good luck

Great info. Where was this 15 years ago? Woulda saved me a lot of learning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Back
Top Bottom