• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Duck Call Suggestion

In 35 years of hunting waterfowl . The best call that I have found for hunting the North East is being were the ducks want to be . If you need a call on the low price high performance you can't go wrong with the Haydels DR-85 or a Primos call . I personally have been using this call for the last 10 years http://www.seanmann.com/product-category/our-calls/duck-calls/single-reed-calls/timber-talker/ . It is a high end call but I can do more with it than a cheaper call . But remember be were the ducks want to be .

Agree with Tundra. Ideally, I don't have to call at all cause the birds want to come in and don't have to be coaxed. I use an RNT Daisy Cutter, but started on a Primos "Yo Sista" years ago.

But remember be were the ducks want to be .
"You cannot give reputation to the same post twice"

First time I set up at a new lake, my friend and I put all our decoys down in the dark where we saw ducks flying when we scouted a week or two before. Not sure if it was because of the different time of day we scouted we scouted, but it looked like a DU centerfold across the water from us, and zero activity where we were. After 20 min of not being able to coax them over to our spread, we packed up all the decoys, moved into the area getting all the activity, and started downing waterfowl!
"Be were the ducks want to be" has been my motto since.

Last edited:
From a total non-duck hunter (Anyone care to take me along?), and not to derail this thread at all……. Are the Duck Dynasty duck calls any good? Im being serious here.

Yep, location is much more important.

One snowy Thanksgiving, a buddy and I got three ducks out of a flight, on three different passes!

It was a small spot, so we decided to take turns shooting, and could pretty much only get one shot off.

I got one as they came in the first time. I immediately gave the comeback call and my buddy got one. Called again and I got a second. They never came back for another pass.

I'd like to think it was my calling, but I know they just WANTED to be in that puddle.

From a total non-duck hunter (Anyone care to take me along?), and not to derail this thread at all……. Are the Duck Dynasty duck calls any good? Im being serious here.
From my experience no. I hear that their higher end calls are good though. The lower end calls, at least in my experience are not.

My recommendation goes to Buck Gardner. I have a spit fire and really like it, only complaint is that it isn't raspy enough for me on the low end. Very well made call though.

Yes they are. There are better calls out there, but at their price point they make some great calls. Many of their better calls just didn't catch on from marketing and sadly they discontinued them. They sell the calls that sell the best, even if they weren't as good as some of their other models. I WILL take you duck hunting, I have an extra shotgun, waders, coat ect, you just need a license and snivel gear. No kidding, I take new guys out all the time to introduce them to this wonderful sport.

My recommendation goes to Buck Gardner. I have a spit fire and really like it, only complaint is that it isn't raspy enough for me on the low end. Very well made call though.

I have two old duck calls (circa 1995) that were sent to me by Buck Gardner some time after he won the Champion of Champions duck calling title. I was friendly with one of the salesmen at the company I worked for at the time and he was friends with Buck. When he heard I was a duck hunter, he called Buck and let me chat with him for a few minutes. They are Rich-n-tone II branded but back when he was involved in whatever capacity that was. Not sure if he was licensing the Rich-n-tone name for his calls or if he was a spokesman for them or what. One of them is a tan acrylic call signed in sharpie by Buck with "c of c" underneath. I only every used those calls and they always worked well for me!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom