Dual use shotgun recommendations

Ae1m

NES Member
I would like to find a good shotgun with changeable barrels for deer (slugs) and waterfowl or perhaps turkey with a barrel that will accept the proper choke. Any quick suggestions? I went on my first deer hunt in NH this past week with my 30.06 now looking to perhaps hunt shotgun in MA. Not really interested in muzzle-loader hunting (an not interested in discussing that please!)

Thanks,
Bob

Remington 870. It'll do anything you want. Lots of aftermarket parts, rifled barrels, etc etc etc.

I have a 70's or 80's wingmaster that I adore.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

A lot of options out there for what you are looking for. Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 both offer packages with both barrels if you want a pump. If you want a really nice semi auto and have deep(er) pockets, go with a Benelli and you will not be sorry that you did.

Mossy 500 or remmy 870. They are nothing fancy but will get the job done. My mossy 500 is my go to hunting gun.

Dicks ways runs a sale on the field/deer combo Missy 500 this time of year.

I've got a Mossberg 535 pump, w/turkey & slug barrels. My only gripe -- it rattles a bit. Never had a problem with it. The Mossberg has the manual safety on the tang, while the Remington has a cross bolt safety. I do prefer a cross bolt safety, over a tang mounted one.

All the above suggestions.

If you want a semi auto get an 11-87 or 590 Mossberg Again Barrels cheap and easy to find with Remington or Mossberg

You get into Beretta/Benelli guns are great, but barrels are expensive and tough to find.

Rifled slug barrels are a bit overrated, you can get by with shooting smoothbore foster slugs.

Unless you are running a scope, then it's probably worth getting a cantilever mount, and most of those barrels are rifled.

Any barrel you can hunt waterfowl with, you can hunt Turkey with.

All the above suggestions.

If you want a semi auto get an 11-87 or 590 Mossberg Again Barrels cheap and easy to find with Remington or Mossberg

You get into Beretta/Benelli guns are great, but barrels are expensive and tough to find.

Rifled slug barrels are a bit overrated, you can get by with shooting smoothbore foster slugs.

Unless you are running a scope, then it's probably worth getting a cantilever mount, and most of those barrels are rifled.

Any barrel you can hunt waterfowl with, you can hunt Turkey with.

Thanks for the reply, however I don’t really understand this part:

“Unless you are running a scope, then it's probably worth getting a cantilever mount, and most of those barrels are rifled.”

Do you mean “If you are running a scope, its worth getting a cantilever mount”?

“Unless you are running a scope, then it's probably worth getting a cantilever mount, and most of those barrels are rifled.”

I'm sure that's what he meant. If you want to scope the gun get a cantilever barrel which will more than likely be rifled.

As far as deer barrels......I'm a fan of smooth bore with iron sights. I hunt mass and we drive deer (perfectly legal in mass). Targeting a moving deer with iron sights is easier than a scope. Also shots are close up.....max 35 -40 yards and with smooth bore I can use foster slugs which Re dirt cheap compared to sabots.

I'm not "knocking" guys using scopes. If you stand hunt a scope is worth it......it's just not how I hunt. Bottom line.....you need to Taylor your sight/type of barrel to the type of hunting you plan to do. I know guys with both setups that change out depending on how they are hunting that day.

I'm sure that's what he meant. If you want to scope the gun get a cantilever barrel which will more than likely be rifled.

As far as deer barrels......I'm a fan of smooth bore with iron sights. I hunt mass and we drive deer (perfectly legal in mass). Targeting a moving deer with iron sights is easier than a scope. Also shots are close up.....max 35 -40 yards and with smooth bore I can use foster slugs which Re dirt cheap compared to sabots.

I'm not "knocking" guys using scopes. If you stand hunt a scope is worth it......it's just not how I hunt. Bottom line.....you need to Taylor your sight/type of barrel to the type of hunting you plan to do. I know guys with both setups that change out depending on how they are hunting that day.

OK thanks, makes sense. I was more thinking of a large style red dot.
thanks.

Yes...that's what I meant and Whacko explained it well.

I used to run a red dot, until my vision got bad, then I went to a scope. But even stand hunting in MA most shots are under 100 yards (well under) due to the thicker brush, and geography. Only on a wide open oak ridge, or big open field would you get a shot over 100 yards. In general, at least in my area, deer arent in the fields during the day during shotgun season. After opening day they are usually in the nastiest thickest shxt possible and don't move til night.

I'm also a stand type hunter and don't drive deer or shoot small bucks or does (in my area of MA), so the scope works good for ID. I actually use a scoped TC encore single shot 20 gauge, which is a tackdriver at 100 with hornady sst slugs. Mostly uneeded like I said before, but I like hunting with it. Hunting with a single shot makes you wait for a good shot.

Last edited:
i know many will probably flame me, but I use my Mossberg JM930 Pro for almost everything shotgun. I have a burris fastfire III on it mounted to a pic rail and I can hit a 4" plate consistently at 100 yards with cheapo depot rifled slugs (winchester, remington, etc.). I've never once had a jam/malfunction/misfire or otherwise. Only thing i DON'T use that for is sporting clays which I utilize my over/under.

the mossy also patterns very nice with my xxfull turkey choke. and when it comes down to it...i think i paid $600 for it and i keep it clean and it doens't give me any issues at all. they make slug barrels and turkey barrels for about $200 a piece, but I honesty haven't found a use for them as of yet.

all this being said, if you go out for waterfowl with a 22" barrel, you'll probably have some difficulty reaching out effectively...but i would bet money that they make a 28 or 30" barrel for that purpose as well.

i know many will probably flame me, but I use my Mossberg JM930 Pro for almost everything shotgun. I have a burris fastfire III on it mounted to a pic rail and I can hit a 4" plate consistently at 100 yards with cheapo depot rifled slugs (winchester, remington, etc.). I've never once had a jam/malfunction/misfire or otherwise. Only thing i DON'T use that for is sporting clays which I utilize my over/under.

the mossy also patterns very nice with my xxfull turkey choke. and when it comes down to it...i think i paid $600 for it and i keep it clean and it doens't give me any issues at all. they make slug barrels and turkey barrels for about $200 a piece, but I honesty haven't found a use for them as of yet.

all this being said, if you go out for waterfowl with a 22" barrel, you'll probably have some difficulty reaching out effectively...but i would bet money that they make a 28 or 30" barrel for that purpose as well.

I agree with that on the JM930.......as is, its a good Turkey, Home Defense (10 shots!) , Slug or Skeet gun. If your a serious Waterfowler or Trap then I guess you could buy a longer barrel....but that gun is pretty all around as it gets.

I also have the JM930 Pro and have shot skeet with it too with the skeet choke. I enjoy shooting 5 sets of doubles off station 7 on report! Didnt consider it for hunting, I have had some mis-feeds with certain 12ga shells. For hunting, did you make your own plug for the 10-shot capacity? Did you buy the 24" slug barrel with cantilever? My home defense is the Moss Shockwave loaded up with a pile of minishells!

For hunting, did you make your own plug for the 10-shot capacity?

I did, actually. I cut a 3/8” wooden dowel to length and sanded the ends so it only allows the legal number of shells and it easily slides through the center of the magazine follower spring. I use a wide array of chokes for different uses, but have yet to see any major shortcomings in the weapons system as a whole (at least in my experience.) that being said, i’ve yet to subject mine to the rigors of a 3gun match or tactical shotgun, but I do have over 500 rounds down the pipe.

i initially purchased my JM so I could try 3gun and not spend a fortune on something I didn’t even know I was going to like...in the meantime, I figure I should get some use out of it and it’s held up great!

my only concern with using the JM for hunting is that the coating does NOT like the rain. I get surface rust fairly easily now...especially in areas that have been scratched from carrying it through the woods and up and into my tree stands. Now I just keep the external surfaces coated with VERY lite oil and haven’t had much of an issue...just figured it was worth noting.

Standard answer - Rem 870 (my choice) or Mossberg 500. Both have enough aftermarket accessories to make Barbie say "wow, you've got a lot of crap". You can dress it up Fudd style, or go full out tacticool Timmy with a chainsaw bayonet.

I don't find the benefit in a dedicated slug barrel. I like going simple with a plane jane shotgun.

In the end, it's a shotgun. Find one you like. I suggest cruising the used racks for one that calls to you. I've got a great 520 from a hundred years ago that I've made my "social situations" go to, and a 1950's Sweet 16 Browning A5 that is a dream to carry and hunt with. Just find what you like - we only argue about them for the sake of arguing. In the end, they're all good. Except Winchester shotguns - eff them.

1950's Sweet 16 Browning A5 that is a dream to carry and hunt with.

what do you hunt with your A5? i have a 1954 Belgian light twelve my grampa gave me that started this whole 'arsenal' of mine and I want to get it out in the woods...just haven't decided what the best game to attempt would be with it and I wouldn't risk ruining the only heirloom left in the family. (family has a tendancy to 'fire sale' everything after someone gets put in a home or passes away...they can all go to hell)

Standard answer - Rem 870 (my choice) or Mossberg 500. Both have enough aftermarket accessories to make Barbie say "wow, you've got a lot of crap". You can dress it up Fudd style, or go full out tacticool Timmy with a chainsaw bayonet.

I don't find the benefit in a dedicated slug barrel. I like going simple with a plane jane shotgun.

In the end, it's a shotgun. Find one you like. I suggest cruising the used racks for one that calls to you. I've got a great 520 from a hundred years ago that I've made my "social situations" go to, and a 1950's Sweet 16 Browning A5 that is a dream to carry and hunt with. Just find what you like - we only argue about them for the sake of arguing. In the end, they're all good. Except Winchester shotguns - eff them.

I have an 870 Wingmaster but it's kind of a family heirloom (1952-3 model) that I do skeet shoot with occasionally. Cabela's has a very nice condition used 870 Wingmaster with gorgeous wood and mod barrel, maybe 10-15 yrs old I gave some thought to, it was over $600. Not sure I'd even want to take that into the bush it was so nice. In the end I ordered a Rem 870 Express Super Mag Waterfowl (mossy oak) for $529. Will use proper choke for Turkey next spring (MA) and get a smoothbore barrel for foster slugs for some MA deer. The finish looks like it would take the bush beating fine.

However, that nice Wingmaster at Cabela's has me really wanting it!

I have an 870 Wingmaster but it's kind of a family heirloom (1952-3 model) that I do skeet shoot with occasionally. Cabela's has a very nice condition used 870 Wingmaster with gorgeous wood and mod barrel, maybe 10-15 yrs old I gave some thought to, it was over $600. Not sure I'd even want to take that into the bush it was so nice. In the end I ordered a Rem 870 Express Super Mag Waterfowl (mossy oak) for $529. Will use proper choke for Turkey next spring (MA) and get a smoothbore barrel for foster slugs for some MA deer. The finish looks like it would take the bush beating fine.

I hunt with the beater guns. I find myself a better hunter because I'm more apt to go into the shit not worrying about denting and scratching the furniture lol

I use my Sweet Sixteen for pheasant, squirrel and deer. It is ugly and bought used so I get to enjoy it more.

You should be able to get a decent gun for $300 or so. It’ll do everything one costing a couple grand will do except make you look fancy or tactical

Very pleased with my Thompson Center Encore, single shot. You can get all sort of barrels for it, everything from 223 up to 45-70 govt and every possible thing in between.

One advantage is that the optic is mounted on the barrel and not the receiver, so obviously no adjustments are needed between barrel changes. Pop on another barrel and you're ready to go.

Here shown with a 20 gauge rifled slug barrel, sighted in and ready for Quabbin in 2 weeks. Below the turkey barrel eagerly waiting for spring, and at the bottom the muzzleloader barrel.

original.jpg

As long as you are fine with a 2 3/4" chamber you can get 2 nice old wingmasters for that $600.

Beautiful old guns deserve a good home and a steady workout.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Very pleased with my Thompson Center Encore, single shot. You can get all sort of barrels for it, everything from 223 up to 45-70 govt and every possible thing in between.

One advantage is that the optic is mounted on the barrel and not the receiver, so obviously no adjustments are needed between barrel changes. Pop on another barrel and you're ready to go.

Here shown with a 20 gauge rifled slug barrel, sighted in and ready for Quabbin in 2 weeks. Below the turkey barrel eagerly waiting for spring, and at the bottom the muzzleloader barrel.

original.jpg
Op said dual use. And while I get that the single shot TC single shot is good for well.....single shot hunting activities. It's gonna suck to hunt upland birds, waterfoul, or rabbit where you do need follow up shots. Pump action is the ticket to an entry level shotgun for multi use.

hard to beat an 870 especially if you can find an older one as their actions tend to be a lot smoother than the newer stuff. I have an older wingmaster with 3 barrels, covers everything from home defense, bird hunting and deer.

hard to beat an 870 especially if you can find an older one as their actions tend to be a lot smoother than the newer stuff. I have an older wingmaster with 3 barrels, covers everything from home defense, bird hunting and deer.
And.....the 870 is on sale this Wednesday at BPS.....for $199 after rebate. I have talked two new shooters into hitting BPS for a great price on a good shotgun that will cover you for just about all things "shotgun".....well....once you buy the used slug barrel anyway!

I think the Mossbergs are built better than the current Remington’s but years back I think the opposite was true. The deer/field barrel combos are a good value.

I owned an 870 express before and got rid of it, jammed occasionally and developed rust easily. When I get the money I think I’ll get one of the Mossberg field/deer combos. Not really in any rush since Pheasant and deer seasons are far off. Also attracted to the 500 because there’s a muzzle loader barrel available for like $100. Would probably pick up a plain Jane 18.5” cylinder barrel just for the heck of it.

Really really versatile piece of equipment, and at a relatively low price too.

Back
Top Bottom