• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dual Residence

Hi Forum!

Hoping someone can help and shed some light on the ‘approved’ or ‘MA compliant’ list of firearms, or general discussion around my situation;

Backstory:

Here in Ma, the prices for used Glocks and AR’s (for example) are through the roof expensive vs. other states new prices. So, what I had realized was, I am a dual resident in Maine (parents own a condo of which I am on the tax bill which is good enough to be considered a dual resident).

My question:

Before I head to Maine and return toting a fully kitted up AR, a Glock with 17 round mags, where do I need to draw the line to ensure whatever purchase I make is ‘MA compliant’???

Being military (over 17 years), and having extensive firearms training, you’d think MA would be smart enough and provide a similar exemption that the LE get regarding types / laws. But, then again, this is MA after all.

Oh, yes, I am a fully licensed LTC holder here in MA!

Thanks all!

Shawn

Last edited:
You have mixed MULTIPLE topics in one question.

MA Compliance for handguns is for dealers and not inmates so stop worrying about it

AWB Compliance is about not having an illegal assault weapon. So follow the AWB and limit yourself to one evil feature on your pistol, rifle or shotgun (you can easily lookup the list of evil features for each)

No pistol or rifle magazines over 10rds unless manufactured before 13-sep-1994
No shotgun magazines over 5rds unless manufactured before 13-sep-1994

MGL 140 131M
MGL 140 121

You AR needs to be made compliant first before coming into Mass.

You NEED a pistol grip...

So...

You have to remove the bayonet lug. (Some people say if it started with a bayonet log you can't remove it and be legal)

You must install and pin a muzzle brake. It must be classified as such by the ATF.

The stock must be unable to adjust. (Not sure if pinning is legal if the pin can be easily removed)

No mags that hold more than 10 rounds unless pre ban.

Forget about Glock mags that hold 17, 13, 15, rounds. In Maine they are surely made after 1994.

I would like somebody to play devils advocate and give some reasons why a new AR - even if made compliant - would run afoul of Marsha's Edict.

As long as you are not scared of Marsha and don't care about her Edict, get a brand new lower and build it up.

You can get a fixed stock from Magpul.

Trouble is finding an upper and then having a gunsmith install a ATF compliant muzzle brake and pin it.

If you build you own lower, you can put on a great trigger like the Geisselle SSA - much better than a simple "milspec" trigger.

If you don't have tools you can pay a gunsmith to build the lower for you and still come out ahead.

Hi Forum!

Hoping someone can help and shed some light on the ‘approved’ or ‘MA compliant’ list of firearms, or general discussion around my situation;

Backstory:

Here in Ma, the prices for used Glocks and AR’s (for example) are through the roof expensive vs. other states new prices. So, what I had realized was, I am a dual resident in Maine (parents own a condo of which I am on the tax bill which is good enough to be considered a dual resident).

My question:

Before I head to Maine and return toting a fully kitted up AR, a Glock with 17 round mags, where do I need to draw the line to ensure whatever purchase I make is ‘MA compliant’???

Being military (over 17 years), and having extensive firearms training, you’d think MA would be smart enough and provide a similar exemption that the LE get regarding types / laws. But, then again, this is MA after all.

Oh, yes, I am a fully licensed LTC holder here in MA!

Thanks all!

Shawn
Why does your post title say dual residency? Anyway your questions look to be answered by other posters. Have a great weekend Maura!

You have to remove the bayonet lug. (Some people say if it started with a bayonet log you can't remove it and be legal)
4xxg5c.jpg

“Trouble is finding an upper and then having a gunsmith install a ATF compliant muzzle brake and pin it.”...
why is this trouble? Lots of gunsmiths do it..

It's not about just grinding it off...

If it started as an AWB it remains as such even if you modify it.

I'll have to up on Chief Glidden's book to see if he was the one who said that.

It may just be from federal law that said if a lower was once assembled as a complete rifle (Colt AR's) that it remains as an AWB even if it was pre ban to begin with.

I'll let the experts chime in.

The state would really have to be out to get you for a filed off bayonet lug.

You must install and pin a muzzle brake. It must be classified as such by the ATF.
Since muzzle bakes and flash hiders are federally unregulated, I was unaware the the ATF provides rulings establishing that a device is one or the other. Could you please provide verifiable details on the procedure for this and perhaps some existing ATF rulings certifying devices as muzzle brakes and not flash hiders?

Since muzzle bakes and flash hiders are federally unregulated, I was unaware the the ATF provides rulings establishing that a device is one or the other. Could you please provide verifiable details on the procedure for this and perhaps some existing ATF rulings certifying devices as muzzle brakes and not flash hiders?
I have a muzzle brake made by Surefire on my AR that I bought about 10 years ago.
I bought the complete upper which came with that brake pinned and welded.

That brake is no longer made.

Before I bought the upper I needed to make sure the brake was classified as such by the ATF.

The Surefire website had that brake available at the time and it stated that the ATF classified it as a brake.

I just studied the current Surefire brakes on the website.
None of the brakes state they meet ATF standards or anything about the ATF.
Since these restrictions only apply to Massachusetts and nobody else since the AWB ended in 2004 - the ATF likely does not care about such classifications any more.

If you got caught in Mass with a muzzle device that was an obvious violation of the AWB (a standard flash hider) maybe the state would go after you.
If the design of the muzzle device was more ambiguous, I'd imagine the state would have a greater burden to prove it's illegal.

I doubt there has been a single case in Mass of a person being charged of the sole violation of a flash hider.

Good point - the distinction would have been federally important during the decade of darkness. I missed that - thanks.
This has been covered in other posts. The ATF stopped classifying muzzle devices when the Fed AWB expired. Now in MA you're left with two “qualifications”. One is the “how is it sold test” meaning that if it is advertised and sold as brake/comp, then it is a brake/comp. The other is the “pinky test” for .223/5.56 , which says if your pinky can fit in the end of the device, it's a flash hider. More generic version of the pinky test is that if the exit hole of the device is significantly larger than the bullet’s diameter, them it is a hider and not a break/comp.

This has been covered in other posts. The ATF stopped classifying muzzle devices when the Fed AWB expired. Now in MA you're left with two “qualifications”. One is the “how is it sold test” meaning that if it is advertised and sold as brake/comp, then it is a brake/comp. The other is the “pinky test” for .223/5.56 , which says if your pinky can fit in the end of the device, it's a flash hider. More generic version of the pinky test is that if the exit hole of the device is significantly larger than the bullet’s diameter, them it is a hider and not a break/comp.
What governmental agency has recognized the pinky test?

What governmental agency has recognized the pinky test?
None, and no MA agency has officially recognized the “how is it sold” test. The MA AWB references the Fed AWB and is dependent on it for the definition of a “banned” muzzle device. Since the ATF is no longer classifying muzzle devices (because the Fed AWB is no longer in place), you either have to get one that was classified under the old Fed AWB or use one of the non certified tests to put something newer on your rifle. As usual, MA is leaving things ambiguous just to make it harder to comply with their arbitrary anti gun laws.

Question on Maine Dual residency. I have read just about all the posts on this subject. Can anyone PM me shops that seem to understand this.

I have owned a home in Maine for several years now but haven’t meet anyone up there that can assist in pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Question on Maine Dual residency. I have read just about all the posts on this subject. Can anyone PM me shops that seem to understand this.

I have owned a home in Maine for several years now but haven’t meet anyone up there that can assist in pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.
Where are you?

Sorry, but I disagree.

Welcome to the civilian world.

I also don't think LE should have exemptions since most can barely handle their duty gun.

IMO, anyone with a drill press and MIG/TIG welder can take care of the muzzle brake aspect on an upper for PRM compliance. IIRC, you could also use red Loctite on it. You don't HAVE to go to a gunsmith to get this done. Also, plenty of places selling complete uppers will pin/weld the brake onto it if you want. From what I've seen, most that are 14.5" (or close to that) either come pinned/welded, or have that option on the ordering page. Unless they say "all NFA rules apply" and leave it up to the buyer to deal with it.

Sorry, but I disagree.

Welcome to the civilian world.

I also don't think LE should have exemptions since most can barely handle their duty gun.
This x 1000.

No OP, you aren’t special, nor are you more important or more valuable than anyone here. Sorry. Gun control is unconstitutional. 2A acknowledges keeping and bearing arms as a right, not a privilege, and no one should get special treatment as it pertains to rights, so f*** off with that attitude already.

Thanks in advance.
There seems to be a list of shops in this thread. Best bet is to always call first and ask the owner about their policy, saves a trip and aggravation.

IMO, anyone with a drill press and MIG/TIG welder can take care of the muzzle brake aspect on an upper for PRM compliance. IIRC, you could also use red Loctite on it. You don't HAVE to go to a gunsmith to get this done. Also, plenty of places selling complete uppers will pin/weld the brake onto it if you want. From what I've seen, most that are 14.5" (or close to that) either come pinned/welded, or have that option on the ordering page. Unless they say "all NFA rules apply" and leave it up to the buyer to deal with it.
I'm pretty sure all dealers say "all NFA rules apply".

They'll still send you an upper but it is up to you to comply.

If you have a SBR Tax Stamp for a lower - you should be all set.

This x 1000.

No OP, you aren’t special, nor are you more important or more valuable than anyone here. Sorry. Gun control is unconstitutional. 2A acknowledges keeping and bearing arms as a right, not a privilege, and no one should get special treatment as it pertains to rights, so f*** off with that attitude already.
The OP is gone.
We scared him away.
He only lasted for 2 days, and he hasn't been seen here in almost 2 years.

Why do you think they should offer any sort of personal exemption not in line of duty?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom