Du510: Build Thread

So with the NES Lowers Group Buy, and the LPK Group Buy, I've jumped headfirst into building my own AR's. In this regard, I figure this thread would assist me in soliciting your advice, beit on parts, build, or anything else.

I've got the group buy stuff coming my way, but I am looking to build my first before I get on that one.

I picked up a few stripped lowers; I chose these specifically for sentimental reasons (as they were machined in my hometown, and stamped as such). I am thinking to start one of those with the following:

- ACE Rifle-length skeleton stock
- DPMS Buffer
- Tubb Speedlock Chrome/Silicon Flatwire Buffer Spring

- Hogue Overmolded Grip (Olive)

I am thinking to go with a black & OD scheme on this; my intention would be to wrap the ACE stock with drab paracord and also some OD furniture up front, when I get there.

For a trigger, I am thinking a RRA 2-stage.

So, I think this is where I'll throw my thoughts and solicit feedback.... feel free to comment away.

Sounds like your on your way. What do you want to use the rifle for? Also, if you haven't allready, start stocking up on preban mags and ammo while you still can.

Pictures are a must once you get started. I love seeing everyones take on the "perfect" AR. Gives me lots of great ideas for destroying my checking account.

Sounds like your on your way. What do you want to use the rifle for? Also, if you haven't allready, start stocking up on preban mags and ammo while you still can.

Pictures are a must once you get started. I love seeing everyones take on the "perfect" AR. Gives me lots of great ideas for destroying my checking account.

Thanks Rick. One good thing about CT is that we dont have to worry about mag capacity; Ive got a bunch of 30-rounders in hand already, but I am definitely looking to grab more.

I am still in the "designing" and "purchasing" stage, and have picked up a few more parts. So new / updated list so far:

- LRB Arms Stripped Lower
- DPMS LPK (standard trigger)
- Stark SE-1 AR15 / M16 Pistol Grip (OD)
- Hogue OverMolded Grip (OD)
- ACE Rifle Length Skeleton Stock w/ACE Recoil Pad
- DPMS Buffer, w/ Generic Rifle Buffer Spring
- Noveske 16 inch Recon BARREL

And have picked up some random tools.

I like the idea of the 2-stage trigger, but on a 16" barrel with a skeleton stock, I thought I'd probably not see the benefit of it as much as I would with a 20" and a precision barrel. Maybe next-to-next build (as hopefully, next will be a SBR).

I am on the hunt now for a muzzlebrake and endplate / sling mount. I like 1-pt slings, myself, so if you have any suggestions, shoot em to me!

I have the ACE rifle length stock on my first AR, and I did some fancy work, a spiraling braid pattern its a navy thing, with black para cord and couldn't be happier with it. It really gives it a personal one off look, plus the foam tube it comes with is a real pain. I am actually in the works of a SBR that I am using the ACE entry stock, short one, and I am going with a tan desert theme using desert camo cord (http://www.campingsurvival.com/decany100ftc.html) to wrap the stock.

The only thing you have to be careful of is if you do a braid pattern, don't make them too tall, the charging handle still needs to slide.

If this is your first build, i wouldn't be too worried about the special trigger, unless you are trying to build a tack driver. The standard milspec assembly will do just fine with some trigger discipline.

Good Luck and have fun, and get ready to shell out more money, once you build one you wont want to stop.

Ed

I have the ACE rifle length stock on my first AR, and I did some fancy work, a spiraling braid pattern its a navy thing, with black para cord and couldn't be happier with it. It really gives it a personal one off look, plus the foam tube it comes with is a real pain. I am actually in the works of a SBR that I am using the ACE entry stock, short one, and I am going with a tan desert theme using desert camo cord (http://www.campingsurvival.com/decany100ftc.html) to wrap the stock.

The only thing you have to be careful of is if you do a braid pattern, don't make them too tall, the charging handle still needs to slide.

If this is your first build, i wouldn't be too worried about the special trigger, unless you are trying to build a tack driver. The standard milspec assembly will do just fine with some trigger discipline.

Good Luck and have fun, and get ready to shell out more money, once you build one you wont want to stop.

Ed

Cool, sounds like you & I are on the same page, both with the stocks and with the SBR plans.

On my next build, the SBR, I am debating between the AceEntry and the AceSocom. But, that's so far down the road that I wont bother thinking about it now.

About the AceRiflelength Stock, I am going to use OD paracord, probably just a wrap, fuse the ends. Idea would not only be to look good (I think it will) but also have a spare supply of cord. You know, the whole "be prepared" idea.

Can you post up a photo of your stock? Id like to see how you did it.

I will post a picture tomorrow when I get home, I am away in VA on business. I should also have my 9mm build done as well, I may use this as a chance to show it off as well.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of customizing the ace stock, can hardly wait to see it.

as far as the upper goes, any idea on what chambering you might go with? I am thinking about going with a 9mm so I can use it in my plate matches, but the 762 is very tempting. what say you?

For my first build I went with a 16” mid length 556, only because I was familiar with the parts and operation from military training, and I know I could get it to work reliably. As I am typing this now I have all of my parts sitting at home to build my next AR, a tan colored 9MM that will eventually wind up 9 inches shorter, pending the tax stamp. With the other lower I have, I am building a rock star, taking my time and sparing no expense. I am going with a Noveske 10.5” N4 Light upper in 556 with a piston drive system, Samson Star-C rail, HK style irons Co-witnessed with a T-1, a SureFire M910A, TangoDown Battle Grip, and an ACE short skeleton stock with a heavy buffer. That one I have not decided on the color scheme yet, I was thinking OD green and wrapping the stock in OD paracord, maybe an urban gray. I am also in the market for a 6.8SPC upper, as I found a 6.8 BCG as I was going through my box of gun crap, to swap my 16” 556 with for a deer trip my buddy is planning this winter.

So that is my course on building AR’s, like I said build one and get ready to shell out the money, cuz you won’t stop. [mg]

Ed

DU510- Have you considered a rail yet? Optics? I am partial to Aimpoints.

Ed- I would also like to see your stock. I have heard of others wrapping knives and such but wrapping a skeleton stock sounds really interesting.

DU510- Have you considered a rail yet? Optics? I am partial to Aimpoints.

Ed- I would also like to see your stock. I have heard of others wrapping knives and such but wrapping a skeleton stock sounds really interesting.

I am focusing on the lower first, then working on the upper. I figure optics will be the last on my list, even after BUIS.

A teaser shot, just in today:
photoyqhwss.jpg

Few more parts in:

DNTC Comp - Aggressive
bdc34ed480759bd212085abdd7cc6523.jpg

Noveske QD End Plate
87019770004d25c35480ab7a08e145b1.jpg

Vltor MUR
mur1615375.jpg

Forged Charging Handle with COMBAT Latch
http://www.pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/27/47
(Fourth from the bottom)

& some various nuts, grips, and reciver extention.

Thinking now about going with an Ace Entry Carbine Stock instead of the full length Rifle.... TBA this weekend, hopefully.

I haven't forgot to post pictures, I just haven't been home long enough to do so. But I have this weekend off, so I will take pics of both my rifle stock and my carbine length. The rifle is wrapped in black para, and the carbine is wrapped in a desert camo pattern para which came out awesome.

I haven't forgot to post pictures, I just haven't been home long enough to do so. But I have this weekend off, so I will take pics of both my rifle stock and my carbine length. The rifle is wrapped in black para, and the carbine is wrapped in a desert camo pattern para which came out awesome.

I'm standing by for that --- no rush, but I'd definitely like to see it. What you describe is exactly what I have in my head, except OD instead of Desert.

Is that what you have? How do you like it? (The brake, not the paperwork)

Hands down best brake on the market. Not even a hint of flash, controls the muzzle nicely. The people standing to the left and right of you it leaves something to be desired....just ask around who stood next to me at the TVI shoot. They get a nice little blast.....

photo2rka.jpg

photo4orw.jpg

photo5ted.jpg

That was my project for tonight. I've got to play with the buffer tube some, as its not as tight as I'd like it to be. Also, I thought I had OD paracord in stock but I only have black; so I've got to order that straight away.

Progress is progress.

Yes it is a 512, I am a fan of the EOtech's, and I am putting a few dollars away every week for one of the new, short EO's for my SBR build.

Yes it is a 512, I am a fan of the EOtech's, and I am putting a few dollars away every week for one of the new, short EO's for my SBR build.
I've got one for my other AR (the one that came pre-built!); I like it so far. Tonight I got the stock all tightened up and the buttpad on; little things that I had to get done just because they bothered me all day at work. Also, came home to this:
photo10obo.jpg
[smile]

Back
Top Bottom