• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dry fire or snap caps?

Hi dans, I took a quick look at them and they looked like they could only be fired once. How long do they last?

I didn't see anything about single use (I'll have to check again, maybe I missed it). Of course, the time they last is going to depend on how you use them.

You definitely do NOT want to dryfire that S&W .22 revolver.

Ouch

Smith-Dry-Fire.jpg

The only .22 i know to be ok to dryfire is the Ruger 10/22. It has a firing pin stop that does not allow the pin to actually touch the breach face of the chamber.

Actually, the manual for a Ruger Mark III says dry firing is okay for that gun.

From the Ruger Web site regarding the Mark III:

faqQuestion.gif
Can I dry fire my Mark III pistol?
Yes. The Mark III has a firing pin stop that prevents the firing pin from contacting the rear of the barrel and damaging the edge of the chamber. If you are going to dry fire the pistol extensively, the stop pin and firing pin will eventually wear and contact could occur, and we recommend replacing both the firing pin and the firing pin stop from time to time. You should also monitor the contact of the firing pin with the rear of the barrel

I was just at Bass pro and they said the mk 3 isn't ma. compliant anymore. I want one for matches. Looks like I'll be getting a used one. Can't figure that one out. They even have a magazine disconnect i believe.

Back
Top Bottom