Dry fire & Dummy rounds- M1 & Mauser

Hi, just picked up my first Garand as well as my first Mauser. First question, for training purposes is it perfectly ok to dry fire these rifles? Next, I'm looking for dummy rounds to practice loading with blocks and clips inside the house. If dry firing is ok then snap caps wont be necessary, also I have found the fit of the plastic snap caps isn't accurate. Does anyone have experience with brass cased dummy rounds? I've found some with rubber tips and some that are spent shells with new projectiles and no powder, some till have spent primer as well. I would paint them for safety but I'm just looking for the closest fit as compared to a live round. Thanks for your input.

Dry-fire all you like; you won't hurt the Garand. As for dummy rounds, find a friend who reloads and have him make some up with no powder and no primer. Mark the bases with magic marker or something.

Where are located Im pretty sure I have some dummy rounds from HXP M2 ball brass and bullets loaded up some where.
As for Dry fire, as far as I know the garand can take it. Old mauser? I grew up with old guys screaming at me not to dry fire bolt actions cause you will break the F pin. FWIW I dry fire my 1903a3 more than the M1

I love these guys so much. I've bought all my snap caps from them. They may have a solution for you.

Nice; wish they had .303. And those zipper pulls - I'm traveling this month, but after that I shouldn't need to worry about TSA having a meltdown, so I might have to get me a set! [smile]

Mostly for the Garand. Spare time inside in the winter so figured I’d practice loading so I don’t end up shortening my thumb in the future lol.

Mostly for the Garand. Spare time inside in the winter so figured I’d practice loading so I don’t end up shortening my thumb in the future lol.
You dont get M1 thumb from loading , its from putting your thumb in before the clip.
Only other way is something is broken/worn and releasing the bolt before the clip seats but its still hard to get your thumb in the way loading a clip

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom