Dry fire aids- anyone using them?

Pretty sure a blind guy with parkinsons shoots better than me.

You guys are focusing away from my point.
The point is that you're not the target audience for the product; you're not an educated consumer, nor will you educate yourself.

I agree the ad could have been shot and edited better. But Instagram is a garbage platform, so that's about what one should expect there.

If you guys actually go look at her Instagram you'll see that she's not a gun bunny, there are no slutty pics or anything.
Oh, definitely. My complaint is actually that it was hard for me to be sure she was actually using the mantis until I'd watched a couple times.

If you guys actually go look at her Instagram you'll see that she's not a gun bunny, there are no slutty pics or anything.

there's a new term for me too - gun bunny.
The point is that you're not the target audience for the product; you're not an educated consumer, nor will you educate yourself.

I agree the ad could have been shot and edited better. But Instagram is a garbage platform, so that's about what one should expect there.

I'm absolutely the target audience for the product. More practice while spending less money over the long term sounds great to me. What makes you think I won't educate myself? I don't know f***all about the mantis system, and their website wasn't much of a help, which is why I've been following this thread. I just don't pull the trigger on a purchase till I am really confident. Took me 3 months to pick my first pistol. I don't use IG, so I can't comment on its merits. I'll take your word for it.

I'm absolutely the target audience for the product.
Marketers develop campaigns for multiple audiences. (I typed that while I was having trouble sleeping, and should have said campaign, not product.) This particular campaign is directed towards an audience that's not you. In future, they might have a different one that is better suited for you.
What makes you think I won't educate myself?
That you haven't, continue to not, and strike out at any reply that isn't a tummy rub.
I don't know f***all about the mantis system,
this much is obvious. It doesn't take a lot to figure it out, but here's an overview. (Apologies in advance, typing on phones is the worst)

The core product is a Bluetooth-enabled gyroscope. You mount it to your firearm and pair it with your phone. You then run dry practice drills with it, and it measures the movement of your muzzle.

The app provides feedback about that movement in the time immediately surrounding your break of the trigger. Their proprietary algorithm offers a guess on what you could do to improve. You can save this results and track your progress over time.

It looks like they've added features to the software. Now, if you use a laser and point the camera of your phone at your target, it can also report where your shot hit on your target.

Some versions can work with live fire, too. They also have products that are specifically designed to support training with the AR15.

As a training aid, it can be mighty handy. Or, like @Supermoto said, you can simply learn to call your shots for free. The question of whether it provides benefit is a personal one: will using it help you do more, productive training? If yes, great; if no, save your money for something that will - like ammo and classes.

When I started carrying a Glock, that sucked becase I had to work the slide of the Glock after every shot to reset the trigger.
When I dry fire (no laser) my Glock, I use the "click" to initiate a "tap/rack/sight picture drill" which resets the trigger for the next dry fire shot.

There is a dry fire training system that was introduced at shot show not too long ago. It's called CoolFire Trainer. The system is a little pricey but once you have everything, it's like shooting a live fire round with each trigger pull. Gives you the recoil and doesn't abuse your firearm. It replaces the barrel and recoil system in your firearm with a CO2 conversion. Compatible with hundreds of firearms. Might be worth it if you are serious about training dry fire...

There is a dry fire training system that was introduced at shot show not too long ago. It's called CoolFire Trainer. The system is a little pricey but once you have everything, it's like shooting a live fire round with each trigger pull. Gives you the recoil and doesn't abuse your firearm. It replaces the barrel and recoil system in your firearm with a CO2 conversion. Compatible with hundreds of firearms. Might be worth it if you are serious about training dry fire...
This is only second-hand, but the couple folks I know who've used it seem to prefer SIRT. No recoil, but less fussy.

How does the CO2 set up affect cleaning and risks of CO2 corrosion? I ran into this with paintball guns in my early teens. Was too cheap to just eat the cost of a proper airtank. If this system is compressed air compatible, that is something that is of interest to me.

Marketers develop campaigns for multiple audiences. (I typed that while I was having trouble sleeping, and should have said campaign, not product.) This particular campaign is directed towards an audience that's not you. In future, they might have a different one that is better suited for you.

The core product is a Bluetooth-enabled gyroscope. You mount it to your firearm and pair it with your phone. You then run dry practice drills with it, and it measures the movement of your muzzle.

The app provides feedback about that movement in the time immediately surrounding your break of the trigger. Their proprietary algorithm offers a guess on what you could do to improve. You can save this results and track your progress over time.

It looks like they've added features to the software. Now, if you use a laser and point the camera of your phone at your target, it can also report where your shot hit on your target.

Some versions can work with live fire, too. They also have products that are specifically designed to support training with the AR15.

As a training aid, it can be mighty handy. Or, like @Supermoto said, you can simply learn to call your shots for free. The question of whether it provides benefit is a personal one: will using it help you do more, productive training? If yes, great; if no, save your money for something that will - like ammo and classes.

I feel you on the trouble sleeping. My issue is an 11 year and a wife who are loud in the morning. I get out at 7am, am laying down at 8am, and getting woken up at noon trying my damndest to keep my cool. One of these nights, when she goes to bed early (8pm or so) I'm just going to play really loud TV shows in the living room at midnight, and when she comes down, say with a straight face "oh? Sorry? Were you sleeping?". Might have to start a gofundme for the funeral costs ahead of time though.

I still feel like you guys are reading into my thoughts on it like there is a subtext, when there isn't.

Ok, welp, maybe I sold myself short on the knowing "f***all". What is the system's capacity for hypothetical drills and customization. I saw 6 available targets. How much customization would I have in terms of setting up my own firing course? Am I limited only by the width of my own camera lens of my phone? Can I tie two cameras into the app via BT to widen the angle? I'm not particularly creative. My last range trip was a 4 target setup of old pizza boxes, 4 shots, 1 in each 1-2-3-4, reload, 4-3-2-1. Could I recreate this within the system? Would they have to be close together? Or does the camera on my phone have to co-witness with the device on the rail? Is the Laser Academy Training kit part of the X2/x3/x10 system at all? Is there a benefit to using them together?

How does the CO2 set up affect cleaning and risks of CO2 corrosion? I ran into this with paintball guns in my early teens. Was too cheap to just eat the cost of a proper airtank. If this system is compressed air compatible, that is something that is of interest to me.
The system completely replaces the barrel and entire recoil system (spring, rod, striker tips) in your firearm with one that's made for CO2. The website says CO2 only and under FAQ it says not to use nitrogen or compressed air, and to use CO2 only. As far as the cleaning goes, you will just need to clean your frame (if desired), slide and striker as everything else will be replaced with the systems barrel and recoil system. I do not work for this company or anything related to this company. I am just passing along information I have found through my own research. I have used this system and think it's great for live-fire-like dry fire training. It gives you the most realistic training that mimics live firing without use of live ammunition in my opinion based off the couple of training systems I have tried.

I feel you on the trouble sleeping. My issue is an 11 year and a wife who are loud in the morning. I get out at 7am, am laying down at 8am, and getting woken up at noon trying my damndest to keep my cool. One of these nights, when she goes to bed early (8pm or so) I'm just going to play really loud TV shows in the living room at midnight, and when she comes down, say with a straight face "oh? Sorry? Were you sleeping?". Might have to start a gofundme for the funeral costs ahead of time though.

I still feel like you guys are reading into my thoughts on it like there is a subtext, when there isn't.

Ok, welp, maybe I sold myself short on the knowing "f***all". What is the system's capacity for hypothetical drills and customization. I saw 6 available targets. How much customization would I have in terms of setting up my own firing course? Am I limited only by the width of my own camera lens of my phone? Can I tie two cameras into the app via BT to widen the angle? I'm not particularly creative. My last range trip was a 4 target setup of old pizza boxes, 4 shots, 1 in each 1-2-3-4, reload, 4-3-2-1. Could I recreate this within the system? Would they have to be close together? Or does the camera on my phone have to co-witness with the device on the rail? Is the Laser Academy Training kit part of the X2/x3/x10 system at all? Is there a benefit to using them together?
When I test drove one, they weren't even using the cameras yet, so I can't say. That seems like something their contact page could answer, but I'd guess at least some of it is going to fall under "feature requests"

That said, the tool might be useful for only part of your routine and still provide value.

The system completely replaces the barrel and entire recoil system (spring, rod, striker tips) in your firearm with one that's made for CO2. The website says CO2 only and under FAQ it says not to use nitrogen or compressed air, and to use CO2 only. As far as the cleaning goes, you will just need to clean your frame (if desired), slide and striker as everything else will be replaced with the systems barrel and recoil system. I do not work for this company or anything related to this company. I am just passing along information I have found through my own research. I have used this system and think it's great for live-fire-like dry fire training. It gives you the most realistic training that mimics live firing without use of live ammunition in my opinion based off the couple of training systems I have tried.

That's really concerning given some the alloys that go into a modern firearm. I'mma go ask the people over on reddit's /chemistry.

I'd have to play with one and see what kind of pressure it's taking from CO2. I can't think of any reason why it couldn't handle compressed air with a properly set up step-down pressure regulator. Not having the ability to hook to an external pressure source also kind of sucks.

Back
Top Bottom