• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Drunks at Ayer Sportsmen's Club call cops on shooters

So I was talking to a couple of young guys who told me they were shooting ARs at the club range recently (they are members) and one of the club members called the cops. They said it has happened three times. The cops are cool, but it is almost unbelievable they would do this.[angry]

I guess the gunfire makes them spill their Miller Light.

I'm glad that my club closed the bar and re-focused on the primary purpose of the club.

Alcohol and gunpowder DO mix, but it tastes terrible. [wink]

I'd hate to see the liquor liability insurance bill for that policy.

As for the dime droppers, if they did that at any club I belong to they would be brought up on charges to the BOD's and I would insist they have their membership revoked under "good of the order"

So I was talking to a couple of young guys who told me they were shooting ARs at the club range recently (they are members) and one of the club members called the cops. They said it has happened three times. The cops are cool, but it is almost unbelievable they would do this.[angry]
What did they allege to the police? People shooting guns at a gun club?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The shooters were NOT drinking. The call came from the clubhouse which is renowned for the drinking, so I called them drunks on my own.

Aah, yeah, thanks.

I just joined my gun-club, and I'm not sure how warm and fuzzy I feel about people drinking and shooting, or drinking and being around shooting. I can handle both, but not everybody can -- and it's not the right place to find out who they are.

I'd hate to see the liquor liability insurance bill for that policy.

I saw it, and it wasn't that bad. The problem is that the overhead is a killer if you run a bar with part time hours that isn't generally crowded. Liquor liability, paying someone to clean up the place regularly, turning on the A/C in the summer, keeping the heat at "occupied" levels during the winter (we leave it at 45 when unoccupied) all add up, and it turned out we weren't even making any money after you added up all those expenses. Some expenses were "hidden" outside the bar budget (mainly heat and A/C) so there was an illusion of positive cash flow - but just an illusion.

"Like I said, the cops were cool about it and will stop coming out. "

Can the PD choose to ignore a 911 call? I was under the impression that they must respond. Learned this when my then four year old son dialed 911 three times in the same day... and our otherwise friendly PD was not amused during each visit.

Anybody??? Are police legally obligated to respond to all 911 calls? Or is this just a policy thing in my town???

thx

Rich

"Like I said, the cops were cool about it and will stop coming out. "

Can the PD choose to ignore a 911 call? I was under the impression that they must respond. Learned this when my then four year old son dialed 911 three times in the same day... and our otherwise friendly PD was not amused during each visit.

Anybody??? Are police legally obligated to respond to all 911 calls? Or is this just a policy thing in my town???

thx

Rich

Don't know, but it sure as hell is a smart policy to do so and frankly what we pay them to do.

No, police are not obligated to respond to calls for help (whether 911 or otherwise). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

No, police are not obligated to respond to calls for help (whether 911 or otherwise). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_v._District_of_Columbia

So... why have PD's? To write tickets? If they are not required to respond to 911 calls (I know most do but for the sake of argument), doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of "To serve and protect"? AND they want to take away and individuals right to defend themselves, so, if we can't defend ourselves, and the PD has no responsibility to protect us, talk about a society of victims.

I'd call your local department and not trust wiki as the gospel

Slightly off topic but I would venture to guess that 99% of 911 call get answered/responded to. Maybe it should be 100% - but that's why they have redial.[smile] I'm kidding, they should ALL be answered/responded to.

I'm just thinking out loud. Small town, one maybe two cops on patrol. 911 bogus call comes in about somebody shooting by the lake. Cops respond.

Then up on Groton School Road some A-hole breaks into my house and attacks my wife. It takes them three or four minutes to respond from the other side of town where some drunk was pulling their chain. Too late, she's dead.

Now I ask you, Would you feel differently about responding to bogus 911 calls then? Would you sue the cops for not getting there in time?

Not only should they not respond to these A-holes, the city attorney needs to send a very forceful letter to the club warning about future phony reports that could cause their liquor license to be revoked.[frown]

I'm not a cop and I don't play one on TV , but this is my two cents...

Now I ask you, Would you feel differently about responding to bogus 911 calls then? Would you sue the cops for not getting there in time?

Not only should they not respond to these A-holes, the city attorney needs to send a very forceful letter to the club warning about future phony reports that could cause their liquor license to be revoked.[frown]

I wholeheartedly agree with you. However, on call two they get fined, $500. $500 sends a message to me. If there happens to be a third call, some-body's going to jail for the night. IMHO Do that once or twice a year and see how many "repeat" offenders you have. [grin] Answer all calls, just make idiots pay for being stupid.

I'm getting into areas I don't have direct information about. I expect that if the call comes from the clubhouse there's no way to really prove who made it.

I could be making some assumptions here. The guys told me someone from the club reported them, so I assumed it must have come from the club phone, otherwise they would know who it was.

I'm steamed about this. I don't want to mislead anyone, but these guys were very sincere and didn't have an axe to grind. I have been to that club for Sunday early am breakfasts and seen them go into the back room "bar."

There are plenty of bars around, I just don't see why these morons have to screw everything up for fellow club members.

That's why I quit Riverside too. The drunks at the bar and the bartenders would go out of their way to make you feel like a jerk for going to the indoor range.

Who needs it?

I'm getting into areas I don't have direct information about. I expect that if the call comes from the clubhouse there's no way to really prove who made it.

I could be making some assumptions here. The guys told me someone from the club reported them, so I assumed it must have come from the club phone, otherwise they would know who it was.

I'm steamed about this. I don't want to mislead anyone, but these guys were very sincere and didn't have an axe to grind. I have been to that club for Sunday early am breakfasts and seen them go into the back room "bar."

There are plenty of bars around, I just don't see why these morons have to screw everything up for fellow club members.

That's why I quit Riverside too. The drunks at the bar and the bartenders would go out of their way to make you feel like a jerk for going to the indoor range.

Who needs it?

that's insane.

Should have asked them this:

http://www.entertonement.com/clips/...y-Full-Metal-Jacket-Gunnery-Sergeant-Hartman-

And TOLD them THIS:

http://www.entertonement.com/clips/...y-Full-Metal-Jacket-Gunnery-Sergeant-Hartman-

QUOTE=News Shooter;1099621]

[/QUOTE]

Becuase the loacl bars cost more to drink at. Really I belonged to a club with simillar issues. Needless to say I dont belong there anymore.

Sad thing about this is the club could go out because of one screw up. If I remeber correctly a club in Athol had a problem with alchol and guns and that club no longer is open.

Last edited:

I dont get it??? I am new to the board and just applied for my MASS LTC-A so someone help me out. Why would the police be called to a shooting range? Is is illegal to shoot an AR? Do some people join a gun range/club and just go there to drink and complain when peolpe shoot? I think I missed something

I dont get it???
Neither do we.

I am new to the board and just applied for my MASS LTC-A so someone help me out. Why would the police be called to a shooting range?
Good question. Let us know when you figure it out.

Is is illegal to shoot an AR?
Only if it is a post-ban gun in a pre-ban configuration.

Do some people join a gun range/club and just go there to drink and complain when peolpe shoot?
There certainly are gun clubs with bars that have members who go there solely to drink.

Notice from Ayer Gun & Sportmen's Club RO

Hey, News Shooter,

Could you contact me? I'm a Asst RO @ Ayer Gun and Sportsmen's Club, and I'd like to talk to you, and those young guys if you know who they are.
Maybe the few who care could rectifiy this problem. But it would be good to know the facts.
My name is Dan, and my #is 978-870-7298.

Back
Top Bottom