• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Drunken question

So I'm sitting here drinking beers watching movies (blood diamond and John wick) does hk pay to advertise in these movies or do they just select guns that look cool?

Sometimes it's the other way around, they have to contact the manufacturers and ask for permission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on the movie and the gun. Look on IMFDB if you want small details. For newer movies, they'll have small details like that.

I bet 95% of the people watching movies/TV have no idea what guns are being used. I had a guy at work ask me what guns they were shooting in halo the video game [mg]

The best is the "magical" metallic sound made when someone pulls a handgun out in movies. [lol]

O by far "cocking" a glock "hammer" thanks for the info I knew that site had the guns I was just curious because hk's newer offerings are getting some push I figured that was subliminal. I know every time I watch diehard I end up with a beretta

I remember hearing that Dirty Harry was responsible for selling thousands of S&W 29s' and Saving Private Ryan the same for M1s

Maybe - 41 was used as well IIRC because they could not get a 44...

shooting scenes, at least were shot with a .45 long colt chambered revolver. That allowed simpler and more economical blank supply (because of the existing use of 45s in westerns). Some people also draw claims about cinemgraphic benefits of the larger bore/chambers.

The script was originally written to use a shorter, 4" model. Eastwood acquired a long barrel model for familiarization because that was what was readily available. After he familiarized himself with handling the longer revolver, the change was worked in.

Maybe - 41 was used as well IIRC because they could not get a 44...

The actual Dirty Harry gun was a M29 and he shot a "light special" out of it. You'd have to check through each movie to see if he ever did use a .41 Magnum, but I'm pretty sure he stayed consistent in the first two movies.

SFPD Inspector "Dirty Harry" Callahan (Clint Eastwood) returns armed with his ".44 Magnum", a Smith & Wesson Model 29 with a 6 1/2" barrel as his famous sidearm in the film. The handgun is very prominently displayed during the film's opening credits and Harry is heard reciting his famous "Do you feel lucky" speech from the first film. When Harry encounters the traffic officers on the firing range, Callahan mentions that his .44 loads are in fact .44 Special, and not Magnums when he states "It's a light Special. This size gun it gives you better control and less recoil than a .357 Magnum with wadcutters." However in this context, the dialogue could have meant that he used a 'light' .44 Magnum cartridge, possibly reloaded by himself. In the 2008 video release of the film, Magnum Force screenwriter John Milius in the audio commentary that the "light Special" line was in fact misinterpreted by the cast and crew and actually meant he used a specially prepared lighter Magnum load.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Magnum_Force#Smith_.26_Wesson_Model_29

His opponent in the police marksmanship competition used a colt python from the looks of it. The dirty harry movies paid attention to detail......as that is what many competition shooters would have used then.

His opponent in the police marksmanship competition used a colt python from the looks of it. The dirty harry movies paid attention to detail......as that is what many competition shooters would have used then.

The writer for that particular Dirty Harry film was John Milius, who is a pro-2A guy and who also did Red Dawn, Conan the Barbarian and he also appeared in the History Channel's "Tales of the Gun", the John Moses Browning episode.

600full-john-milius.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The writer for that particular Dirty Harry film was John Milius, who is a pro-2A guy and who also did Red Dawn, Conan the Barbarian and he also appeared in the History Channel's "Tales of the Gun", the John Moses Browning episode.

600full-john-milius.jpg

That us one hell of a nugget of information! Cool. Loved that episode about jmb on tales of the gun tooo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes, the guns are product placed, but often, they come from a prop house like the famous, and now defunct, Stembridge Rentals.

I do know that when guns are special ordered for a movie because they want the "look" of a particular gun, they are not always free. Sometimes, the movie house pays top dollar to get guns quickly that ordinary mortals wait a year for.

And sometimes, the guns are on loan and go up for sale after the movie is made.

Not guns but I know that DEC paid a lot of money for their computers to be placed in the first Ghostbusters movie.

Somehow I don't think it worked to drive interest, certainly not like the Dirty Harry S&W 29.

A close friend/PO/FFL ordered a 29 back when they were supposed to be released. It took him something like 9 months to get (remember he was an FFL) and the price increased by >$100 from the time he ordered it until he received it. S&W used the popularity to reduce supply, increase prices.

Back
Top Bottom