• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Drugs and guns seized in Shrewsbury traffic stop

Good stuff in the Comments section. I think the majority of folks are getting sick of it. Too bad it'll fall on deaf leftist ears.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20080215/NEWS/802150598/1008/NEWS02

Drugs and guns seized in traffic stop

Two Worcester residents arrested

By Aaron Nicodemus TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

SHREWSBURY— Police say they found a cache of drugs and guns in the trunk of a car pulled over for a having a revoked registration.

On Monday, Officer Stephen Rice pulled over a 2005 Dodge Stratus on Route 20 (Hartford Turnpike). Behind the wheel was Tricia Kirwin, 27, of 8 Ida Road, Worcester. Her passenger was 28-year-old Jose Oliveras of 21 Valmor St., Worcester.

Police said the registration for Ms. Kirwin’s car had been revoked because her insurance had been canceled, and the car had no insurance. The inspection sticker on the car belonged to another car, according to the police report.

Police also allege that Mr. Oliveras had a pair of silver brass knuckles in his back pocket, which are considered a dangerous weapon by police.

In the center console of the car was an orange straw in a cigarette box that contained powdered residue, later confirmed to be cocaine, according to the police report.

When Officer Rice opened up the trunk of the car, he found a gray backpack that contained a Smith & Wesson handgun, a .380-caliber semiautomatic pistol, a magazine containing six rounds of .380-caliber ammunition, 50 .380-caliber rounds, nine 9 mm rounds, two clear bags of marijuana and two scales, according to the police report. Neither Ms. Kirwin nor Mr. Oliveras carried a firearm permit, police said. Police also found a pair of nunchuks in the car.

Ms. Kirwin and Mr. Oliveras were each charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, possession of cocaine, possession of marijuana, possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and failure to wear a seat belt.

In addition, Mr. Oliveras was charged with carrying a dangerous weapon (brass knuckles) and an outstanding warrant on drug charges. Ms. Kirwin was charged with driving with a revoked registration, driving an uninsured motor vehicle, and possessing a forged inspection sticker.

They were arraigned Tuesday in Westboro District Court and released on $500 cash bail each. They are to return to court March 21.

....released on a $500 cash bail..........

What a crock. Do they really think either of those two will show up for court? If it had just been the drugs, I'd probably not give it a second thought. However, having a firearm without the proper licenses should have turned their lives upside down. I hope the got a search warrant and tossed both of their residences then did a search for where and from whom that gun was purchased. I know that's what would happen to me if I were stopped without a license. Sheesh.

Of course the biggie was "not wearing a seatbelt". I'll bet that charge will stick while they'll plea-bargain down the 'illegal handgun" charge.

Rome

The court is never gonna see these two again unless they are arrested on another drug charge!

....released on a $500 cash bail..........

What a crock. Do they really think either of those two will show up for court? If it had just been the drugs, I'd probably not give it a second thought. However, having a firearm without the proper licenses should have turned their lives upside down. I hope the got a search warrant and tossed both of their residences then did a search for where and from whom that gun was purchased. I know that's what would happen to me if I were stopped without a license. Sheesh.

Of course the biggie was "not wearing a seatbelt". I'll bet that charge will stick while they'll plea-bargain down the 'illegal handgun" charge.

Rome

Clearly a case of blind injustice.......[angry]

If I ever get pulled over on the way to the range,the local cops will be calling Homeland Defense and the US Marines thinking that I am about to start WW 4.

WW4? What happened to WW3? Did I sleep through it? [wink]

As for the $500 bond...that's just a freaking joke.

Judges suck !! The police do their job and the f'in judges just let um walk. May I repeat myself, judges suck !!

regards....roger

Judges suck !! The police do their job and the f'in judges just let um walk. May I repeat myself, judges suck !!

What part of "bail" did you not comprehend?

For those who missed it, there hasn't even been a trial, still less a conviction. The $500 is NOT a penalty!

I agree. Bail is not a penalty. It is an incentive to return to court for your hearing based on the severity of the offense and the guidelines of the court system.

$500 for firearm's offenses. Not worth showing up for in my opinion. That's why the court hands out more Failure to Appear warrants that actual case determinations.

I'm guessing these individuals have extensive roots in the community and no prior offenses.........

Ms. Kirwin and Mr. Oliveras were each charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, possession of cocaine, possession of marijuana, possession of marijuana with intent to distribute

I find it interesting how the possession of drugs isn't 'unlawful possession'; that or the writer was lazy. Or is it because some firearms/ammo are legal so they have to call it unlawful vs drugs are always illegal?

possession of cocaine, possession of marijuana, possession of marijuana

Probably due to the fact that there isn't a public lawful possession of those items in general use. I'm not sure if MA allows medical use of marijuana. Cocaine isn't used in the medical field as far as I'm aware so I would guess that;s why the wording is as stated.

For those who missed it, there hasn't even been a trial, still less a conviction. The $500 is NOT a penalty!

Sorry... but $500 for what they got caught with?? I'm sorry... I call BS on this! Penalty or not it's too little for what they had.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20080215/NEWS/802150598/1008/NEWS02

Mr. Oliveras was charged with carrying a dangerous weapon (brass knuckles) and an outstanding warrant on drug charges. Ms. Kirwin was charged with driving with a revoked registration, driving an uninsured motor vehicle, and possessing a forged inspection sticker.

They were arraigned Tuesday in Westboro District Court and released on $500 cash bail each. They are to return to court March 21.

$500 sounds good to me.....he showed up for the last one...right...oh ya thats why there is a warrant!!

If you read closely, nobody said it was a penalty. The point was obviously that $500 bail is too little to insure they show up for the court date. [rolleyes]

The owner(s) of the stolen guns (assumed) will probably have to post a $1000.00 bail! By the way, what happens to all of these guns that get confiscated? I assume they get destroyed but wouldn't be great if they auctioned them off, say on the NES forum!

A. what you read in the papers is 90% false. Don't assume you have enven the minority of correct information or facts.

B. $500 seems fine for a couple small bags of weed and an unjust firearms charge.

Ummm.... if they are completely lying about the guns you might have a point... otherwise I'd suggest that it is NOT an UNJUST FIREARMS CHARGE.

EDIT: I want to modify my position... if they were driving an unregistered, uninsured car with a bogus inpsection sticker... all without any guns... still lock them up!

Technicality. Most people here have never been arrested and so are excusably unaware that bail is not always set by a judge as shown on Law and Order. The point though is perfectly valid. What sort of pinhead would assume that the threatened forfeiture of $500 would assure the appearance of a couple of mutts like these tow in court?

Ken

If you read closely, nobody said it was a penalty. The point was obviously that $500 bail is too little to insure they show up for the court date. [rolleyes]

If you read closely, the poster in question said:

The f'in judges let 'em walk

I believe my interpretation of that statement to be the more more accurate.

Back
Top Bottom