Drownings Season In Full Swing

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
You would think the state would put up warnings about drownings vs fireworks... not too many fireworks deaths, but I don't remember a 4th of july where nobody in MA drowned...

NHCraigT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had swimming class (like P.E.) back when I was in Boston Public Schools. Is that not a thing anymore? I'm no Phelphs but I can tread water and float.

hillman

NES Member
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
We had swimming class (like P.E.) back when I was in Boston Public Schools. Is that not a thing anymore? I'm no Phelphs but I can tread water and float.
No, not a thing anymore. My wife is trying to put something together with the Y in worcester to try to get second graders in for swimming safety, but apparently it's better to pretend nothing bad can happen. I think maybe they just need a new law making drowning illegal.

The problem is paying for buses to get the kids there. Parents don't seem to want to lift a finger to help their own kids be safer.

Reactions: Lip

slap shot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
I don't know [exactly] how young I was when I learned how to swim. We had a pool while I was growing up (parents had one at every place until we left FL to come back to MA). IIRC, I've been swimming since before I was 8.

IMO, part of the cause of some of the drownings is people don't know when to get out of the water, or don't know what the conditions are. Anytime we went into water that wasn't a pool, we were never alone. Then again, we also used common sense more often than people seem to do so today.

BTW, in high school (in FL) we had swimming days as part of P.E.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We never had swimming class in school when I was growing up, but my sisters and I all took swimming lessons at the YMCA. In addition to actually teaching us how to swim, two of the skills they taught us were essentially variations of "drown proofing" (albeit without our arms or legs tied); one bobbing off the bottom of the pool, taking a breath, sinking back to the bottom and repeating, and the other floating face down until you needed a breath, then lifting your head out of the water, taking a breath and laying face down again. The second variation would come in handy if you get into a situation where you're in trouble and simply too exhausted to swim.

A lot of the issues with people, even those who know how to swim, getting into trouble are likely a result of people forgetting that just because you're in water doesn't mean you can't get dehydrated, especially when it's really hot out, leading to disorientation and extreme fatigue. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if alcohol was involved in many of these cases of adults drowning.

snax

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
What gets me is people who can't swim go out on small boats and don't wear a life vest. It only takes seconds to hit a wave and get knocked off. Especially if u have an a hole driver who'd been drinking all day driving like a madman

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Some people who actually know how to swim have been drowned by people that don't. That's why lifeguards carry those rescue bouys, so that a drowning person going full retard doesn't drown them in
the process. There have been a shitload of cases where swim-capable people have drowned trying to rescue those that aren't or are poor swimmers.

-Mike

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
That's why lifeguards carry those rescue bouys, so that a drowning person going full retard doesn't drown them in the process.
i actually witnessed a near fatal rescue when i was 11. a woman on a float raft must have dozed off and rolled off the raft. this was in ~3 feet of water. she panicked when she woke when she hit the water and started to thrash. she just had to stand up but i guess being disorientated made things worse. a young guy waded out to help her stand and she somehow leg swept him or something and he went down. more thrashing from both and she ends up kneeling on top of the guys back, he's laying prone on the bottom. two others had to go out to get her off and get him up. pretty scary to watch as a child.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We never had swimming class in school when I was growing up, but my sisters and I all took swimming lessons at the YMCA. In addition to actually teaching us how to swim, two of the skills they taught us were essentially variations of "drown proofing" (albeit without our arms or legs tied); one bobbing off the bottom of the pool, taking a breath, sinking back to the bottom and repeating, and the other floating face down until you needed a breath, then lifting your head out of the water, taking a breath and laying face down again. The second variation would come in handy if you get into a situation where you're in trouble and simply too exhausted to swim.

A lot of the issues with people, even those who know how to swim, getting into trouble are likely a result of people forgetting that just because you're in water doesn't mean you can't get dehydrated, especially when it's really hot out, leading to disorientation and extreme fatigue. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if alcohol was involved in many of these cases of adults drowning.
I learned "the dead man's float" as they called it at YMCA camp Wakanda when I was a kid. I spent the entirety of several summers going there when I was 2-5th grade. I can't recall how good of a swimmer I was before, but I definitely improved upon it while there.

Strange surge in drownings though.

xtry51

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Some people who actually know how to swim have been drowned by people that don't. That's why lifeguards carry those rescue bouys, so that a drowning person going full retard doesn't drown them in
the process. There have been a shitload of cases where swim-capable people have drowned trying to rescue those that aren't or are poor swimmers.

-Mike
The drowning man will always will always try to take someone down with him.

je25ff

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I don't know why, but as a kid I didn't need to learn to swim. I don't mean I was swimming with Olympic form or anything, I just instinctively knew how to stay above the surface of the water.

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man, that sucks. Sadly, it is part of life. Even the best swimmers can get caught unaware and drown.

Is it more common for people to drown in lakes as compared to pools? I would assume so since the water is more brackish and harder to see when someone is in trouble.

Top Bottom