Dropped deer off at butcher 2 weeks ago......not ready.....should I be worried?

Make sure they didn’t mix it up and give to someone else by mistake.

it is delicious by the way!
Went to the same place to pick up my cuts of beef, but surprisingly got a few extra boxes of tasty backstraps and other prime cut of deer.

They gave your meat to me and there is nones left.

Lemay and sons.
NEVER! I've had about 10 deer done by them in the past, and 2 Russian Boar. Was satisfied, until I dropped a 130# buck off about 5 years ago. Thwey claim they hang them for a week, but called me 3 days later. I specified (and had them highlite it on the cut sheet) 1" bone in steaks and chops. Got about 30# of boneless meat. 1/2" thick cuts, only 8 chops, and 2 mismatched tenderloins. Obviously a Frankenstein deer. Called them, and the girl says "oh, you must have shot it in the backstrap". NO WAY, it was a thru and thru lung shot, 0 meat damage. She says "you want to talk to the owner"? YES, and she puts the slob that cut it on the phone, he says " well, it had some blood on the body cavity, so I cut it boneless". I says, "It's a f***ing deer, of course its going to have some dried blood on the body cavity". Never again. Side note: if you look at the Hawkeye newspaper, they are running half page ads looking for game meat cutters....no experience required!tenders.jpg

NEVER! I've had about 10 deer done by them in the past, and 2 Russian Boar. Was satisfied, until I dropped a 130# buck off about 5 years ago. Thwey claim they hang them for a week, but called me 3 days later. I specified (and had them highlite it on the cut sheet) 1" bone in steaks and chops. Got about 30# of boneless meat. 1/2" thick cuts, only 8 chops, and 2 mismatched tenderloins. Obviously a Frankenstein deer. Called them, and the girl says "oh, you must have shot it in the backstrap". NO WAY, it was a thru and thru lung shot, 0 meat damage. She says "you want to talk to the owner"? YES, and she puts the slob that cut it on the phone, he says " well, it had some blood on the body cavity, so I cut it boneless". I says, "It's a f***ing deer, of course its going to have some dried blood on the body cavity". Never again. Side note: if you look at the Hawkeye newspaper, they are running half page ads looking for game meat cutters....no experience required!View attachment 414141
Well its a little late for me at this point.

Well its a little late for me at this point.
Hey, you may get a great job, Kudos if you do. I took 3 deer this year, had the first 2 done by a guy in Nottingham, but by the time I got my 3rd, everyone was buried. We ended up cutting it ourselves, and honestly, it's a lot of work.

Hey, you may get a great job, Kudos if you do. I took 3 deer this year, had the first 2 done by a guy in Nottingham, but by the time I got my 3rd, everyone was buried. We ended up cutting it ourselves, and honestly, it's a lot of work.
Lemays did two deer for me 3 years ago and everything was fine. Had it all back in 10 days. The sausage they make has always been good.

I am going to call them tomorrow again though. 16 days is excessive I think. I want my damn venison at this point.

Lemays did two deer for me 3 years ago and everything was fine. Had it all back in 10 days. The sausage they make has always been good.

I am going to call them tomorrow again though. 16 days is excessive I think. I want my damn venison at this point.
At least they have the facilities to keep it at proper temperature, I hung a 193# buck years ago, for two weeks, and it was the best meat ever. My dad was a cook on a gasoline tanker in WW11, and he would tell me about the months old ,green sides of beef hanging in the meat locker. They would wipe the green mold off with vinegar on cheesecloth, and he claimed it was the best aged beef he had ever eaten.

Let us know how it goes. Hoping you’re pleased with the result.
Everything came out perfect. Exactly what I'd expect from a 140 pound deer.

21 big steaks

6 each one pound packs of stew meat

2 matching sized tenderloins

8 packs of backstrap medallions (4 to a pack)

21 packs of sweet sausage (3 large sausages per pack) and by large links i mean big damn sausages like you get at a good sausage stand.

2 each one pound packs of bulk sweet sausage.

Just sauted up a pack of the bulk sweet sausage to try it. Its perfect.

Left a steak and a tenderloin in the fridge for tomorrow.

Last edited:
I know how to do it done a couple with friends. I just don't have the space.
Yup. Sometime you just have pay another guy to mow your lawn. I’m with you on picking your battles and utilizing good time management.

Let us know how it goes. Hoping you’re pleased with the result.
Pan seared a steak and a tenderloin with a side if rice pilaf and green beans tonight. They did do me a favor with a long hang. The tenderloin was amazing and even the regular old steak was tender and flavourful. This deer is near the top of the list of deer I've had on my table.

Pan seared a steak and a tenderloin with a side if rice pilaf and green beans tonight. They did do me a favor with a long hang. The tenderloin was amazing and even the regular old steak was tender and flavourful. This deer is near the top of the list of deer I've had on my table.
At work now and waiting after the OR to finish so I can heat up my haunch and shoulder red wine stew.

Wondering if I’m the guy who has no idea what he’s talking about:
Two doe around 50 to 60lbs dressed each, are killed around 3pm yesterday. They’re brought to a proper walk-in cooler within an hour of death to hang.
At about 9 or 10am today they’re being butchered. In my opinion they should have been hanging in that cooler for at LEAST two more days to get the best quality meat out of it. Everyone in my group disagrees and butchered them anyhow. What say ye?

Two doe around 50 to 60lbs dressed each, are killed around 3pm yesterday. They’re brought to a proper walk-in cooler within an hour of death to hang.
At about 9 or 10am today they’re being butchered. In my opinion they should have been hanging in that cooler for at LEAST two more days to get the best quality meat out of it. Everyone in my group disagrees and butchered them anyhow. What say ye?
All I can say is the venison I got back after a 2 week hang is fantastic. It was worth the wait. I was worried at first but these guys did me a favor.

Should be good, young deer, probably be outstanding even butchered right away.
Let us know.

Should be good, young deer, probably be outstanding even butchered right away.
Let us know.

I let my group keep all the meat from the ones that hung less than a day so I’ll have no input other than what I learned about fresh meat curing/aging long before I ever even hunted or had an LTC for that matter.

I've always let them hang for at least couple of days (the small ones). It's my understanding that the biggest issue is cutting them before the rigor mortis has relaxed.

No matter what the game animal - let it hang. Hell, for most any animal let it hang.

Back
Top Bottom