Dropped deer off at butcher 2 weeks ago......not ready.....should I be worried?

whacko

NES Member
Title says it all. Its not a back garage butcher its a place that slaughters beef and pork and USDA products as well in a separate building.

Guy that answered yesterday when I called said they are just busy but don't worry the meat will be fine the deer is in the cooler. I've dropped deer off at this place before and it was 10 days max to get the call. Do you guys think 14 to 15 days unfrozen is gonna give me back some questionable meat?

Either they are really slow or they are overflowing with deer. I’ve never had to wait more than 5 business days. I’d be slightly concerned. I’d stop by and show my face/concerns.

Either they are really slow or they are overflowing with deer. I’ve never had to wait more than 5 business days. I’d be slightly concerned. I’d stop by and show my face/concerns.
They already had 6 deer on the cooler floor when I dropped mine off 2 weeks ago. They were busy id say. This butcher has always been good to me and 10 days was normal in the past.

jeezus mr. whacko, i just googled this subject, hanging game meet, and i don't want to panic you...i'd be worried. yeah, i'd go down there and express my concerns in person.

My group of friends will let them hang for at least two weeks and have gone three weeks in one of the guy's walk in cooler. Makes for more tender meat. There have been times on a longer hang we had to cap some of the meat but fine underneath. Enjoy!

My group of friends will let them hang for at least two weeks and have gone three weeks in one of the guy's walk in cooler. Makes for more tender meat. There have been times on a longer hang we had to cap some of the meat but fine underneath. Enjoy!
Yeah thanks. I'm less worried now just Google hanging venison and found this

"For the best tasting deer meat Mississippi State University recommends 14 to 18 days of hanging time. A general rule of thumb is, the older the deer, the longer the hang time. Longer hanging times will allow the deer’s natural enzymes and acids to break down and tenderize the meat and give it a smoother, less “gamey” flavor."

As you found out they're doing you a favor by hanging it. When you get a back it'll probably be some of the best venison you have had. I cooked some loins. A couple of weeks ago about 45 minutes to an hour after the Deer died. I ruined them. By searing them it put them into instant rigor. I turned the best piece of meat into shoe leather

Title says it all. Its not a back garage butcher its a place that slaughters beef and pork and USDA products as well in a separate building.

Guy that answered yesterday when I called said they are just busy but don't worry the meat will be fine the deer is in the cooler. I've dropped deer off at this place before and it was 10 days max to get the call. Do you guys think 14 to 15 days unfrozen is gonna give me back some questionable meat?
Well it’s peak season so along with their regular business they very well could be backed up. Hopefully you weighed it at drop off so you can estimate how much meat you should get back. I use a guy who runs it out of his garage and it’s done in 48 hours, custom grinds etc....so the guys running out of their homes are a valid choice.

Well it’s peak season so along with their regular business they very well could be backed up. Hopefully you weighed it at drop off so you can estimate how much meat you should get back. I use a guy who runs it out of his garage and it’s done in 48 hours, custom grinds etc....so the guys running out of their homes are a valid choice.
Yeah like I said I've used this butcher for years they have always done good work just usually have it all back in 10 days max. Was worried about spoilage.....but I should have just Google it myself instead of bothering the nes brain trust with my ignorance. I use lemays in Goffstown nh. They me a fantastic sweet sausage. I tell them to use the whole grind pile for sausage. The guy on the phone said its hanging in the cooler no worries.

They already had 6 deer on the cooler floor when I dropped mine off 2 weeks ago. They were busy id say. This butcher has always been good to me and 10 days was normal in the past.

Six deer is busy? It is common for me to see 20 to 30 deer hanging when I bring in one. It is usually a 5 day turn for processing.

Bob

If its in controlled temperature cooler. Then you can age it for a while. I used to let mine go for a week to 10 days. Bigger the deer, longer it went.

Realize that the longer you let it age and get funky, the more meat loss there is.

Young deer you can generally do right away, they are small tender and losing lot of meat is not an option on a 70 pound deer.

If your worried about it DIY.

This fall has been fairly bad for hanging deer, fairly warm, but in those cases, I would break deer into quarters and leave in an icy cooler (s). That is not the proper way to
age, I would do them quickly after that.

If its in controlled temperature cooler. Then you can age it for a while. I used to let mine go for a week to 10 days. Bigger the deer, longer it went.

Realize that the longer you let it age and get funky, the more meat loss there is.

Young deer you can generally do right away, they are small tender and losing lot of meat is not an option on a 70 pound deer.

If your worried about it DIY.

This fall has been fairly bad for hanging deer, fairly warm, but in those cases, I would break deer into quarters and leave in an icy cooler (s). That is not the proper way to
age, I would do them quickly after that.
CoolBot Pro with WiFi
A friend and I set up one of these up in an insulated area of a big shed he has a number of years ago. Works really well. Now it has wifi and phone app. Cool system...Currently in the box.
1605983002807.png1605983002807.png

Anybody got any recommendations for a butcher in the hooksett/Manchester area? I’m feeling pretty confident about tomorrow. 😂

Make sure they didn’t mix it up and give to someone else by mistake.

it is delicious by the way!

Friend of mine in WY forgot to take the tenderloins out of his elk when he dropped it off. When they gave it back to him the tenderloins were gone and they claimed he never dropped any off. But they gave his buddy tenderloins, and he had removed them before dropping the animal off.

Needless to say, friend is livid and is planning to blow this guy up reputation wise.

Yeah thanks. I'm less worried now just Google hanging venison and found this

"For the best tasting deer meat Mississippi State University recommends 14 to 18 days of hanging time. A general rule of thumb is, the older the deer, the longer the hang time. Longer hanging times will allow the deer’s natural enzymes and acids to break down and tenderize the meat and give it a smoother, less “gamey” flavor."
What is the ideal temperature for 14-18 day cure ?

Sorry guys I guess I got skeered and came to NES before googling. Seems 14 to 18 days hanging is good. Just never waited this long before! Been two years since I had a deer want some Backstrap for dinner!
I just googled “hanging meat” and didn’t find any useful information. I don’t think it was a deer I was looking at.

Anybody got any recommendations for a butcher in the hooksett/Manchester area? I’m feeling pretty confident about tomorrow. 😂
These guys are good and do a ton of deer. as of last weekend they had done about 160 and were on track for about 300 this year.

Back
Top Bottom