• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Drop in AR trigger recommendations

geoguy8

NES Member
I’m looking at upgrading my stock AR Build trigger with a drop in 2 stage model. Not a lot of options it seems, but leaning towards a CMC model with either 2/3 or 2/4 lbs pull. Reviews look good, and price is reasonable. Would appreciate any opinions on which to get, or not. Rifle is for range use , mostly 100 yds.
Thanks for your help
D

I’m looking at upgrading my stock AR Build trigger with a drop in 2 stage model. Not a lot of options it seems, but leaning towards a CMC model with either 2/3 or 2/4 lbs pull. Reviews look good, and price is reasonable. Would appreciate any opinions on which to get, or not. Rifle is for range use , mostly 100 yds.
Thanks for your help
D

Do I read your post correctly when you say
"Not a lot of options"
I believe there are more triggers available for
the AR platform than any other firearm in the history of mankind.
I would recommend a Geissele piece. They make all kinds of
options for the AR. If your wondering how to pronounce
the company name its (Guys-Lee).

I also wouldn't limit yourself to drop in triggers only. It only takes about 10 minutes to install a non assembled trigger, and that includes removing an ambi selector switch, reassembly, and function check. Many videos on youtube are available to walk you through it. Just takes a little finesse to get the hammer and hammer pin seated properly but it's not difficult. Be sure to have a small tube of grease on hand to lube your contact points.

Rise Armament RA-535 on sale now at Brownells for $186.75
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/triggers/ar-15-advanced-performance-trigger-prod109430.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=RISE+ARMAMENT

Trigger includes KNS anti rotation pins.

Add the code “MGM” for free shipping.

Here is a post with videos of the trigger being demonstrated that I added to the “Deals and steals” thread last year.
Deals and steals

:emoji_tiger:
My Rise has been perfect in thousands of rounds.

+1 for Geiselle. If you are going to spend ~$200, one of the Geiselle options will get you the best trigger for the money. If you want to save a bit, go for the Rock River National Match trigger, ~$75.

If you want a two stage I’d look at Rock River or Armalite. Neither are drop in but both are great options and won’t break the bank

I also prefer 2 stage. it's G2S or MBT-2S for me. slight preference to the G2S. excellent value. mine interface just fine with mil spec safety. if any such "issue" exists it's probably caused by the lower or a "drop in trigger". the geissele triggers aren't "drop in" as they still use the two pin with tension from springs so they don't require anti walk kit such as KNS.

I have the Geissele National Match on an AR-15 that’s going to get moved over to an AR-10, and I’m going to drop a Geissele SSA that I found here used into the 15.

They make good stuff, and I’ll probably add Geissele triggers in my remaining couple/few builds because I’m familiar with them and they’re well built.

If you want a two stage I’d look at Rock River or Armalite. Neither are drop in but both are great options and won’t break the bank

I had a RRA two-stage that was a sweet trigger. As mentioned it’s not ‘drop-in’, but it was stupid-easy to install. I sold the lower I’d installed it in only because I also had a RRA single-stage lower that I liked better. Single-stage just suits my taste/style more.

Why two stage rather than single stage? I like the single stage better
It comes down to what you like and the type of shooting you do ..... For me shooting NRA/CMP service rifle in positions i like the 2stage better. i have a AR thats basically a "bench" rifle. It has a single stage trigger i bought of a older gent who was getting out of NRA match rifle shooting and selling off his random parts. Its about 1.5lbs . I like it for bench shooting only.

Another Rock River 2 stage vote. It's what I run in my main rifle.

If you want something strictly for target shooting AR Gold is amazing. I wouldn't put one in a battle rifle though. It's too light with zero takeup. Makes it a terrible idea to use with gloves on.

Geisselle are my favorite Ar trigger. Just be aware they will not work with mil spec safety unless safety is modified. The do work with Battle Arms Development Ambition Safety Switch. BAD ASS safety.

???

I have several different Geisselle triggers. All of them are compatible with mil spec safeties.

???

I have several different Geisselle triggers. All of them are compatible with mil spec safeties.
Same here.
I've got them in three different rifles which have all been through high round count classes.
They pass the function check - No issues.

Another vote for the single stage CMC. I bought mine on a whim while picking up a surplus pistol from Gunrunner in Middleboro a few years back. Saw the CMC sitting on a shelf, last one in stock and figured “why not?”.
Glad I did it. Made a world of difference.

Looks like I will order the G2S. 132$ shipped direct from Manufacturer, plus free swag (?) Thanks guys, will update results later.

Last edited:
???

I had one where I needed to do some minor clean-up on the safety because the width of the trigger was causing it to drag a bit. 5 minutes with a file, no big deal. I’ve probably installed 10 Gisselle triggers and only had to mess with the safety once. My guess is the safety was a touch out of spec not the other way around.

Back
Top Bottom