• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Drop in 1911 5" 45 ACP Compensator

awm

NES Member
Hey guys looking to add a compensator for my Sig Target 1911 5" 45acp pistol.

Any recommendations? Are the ones that replace the factory bushing compliant or like ARs do they need to be fixed to the barrel (i.e cant remove).

Wont be utilized for Personal Defense as I know its terrible seeing that fireball coming out the front and blinding you in a life/death situation.

Any suggestions again very much appreciated!

Thank You!

Ok considering after reading a bunch of stuff the Wilson Combat Multi-Bushing Comp.

Any feedback? Also still wondering if its mass compliant without having it fixed/welded to the barrel?

Thank You!

Adam

Ok considering after reading a bunch of stuff the Wilson Combat Multi-Bushing Comp.

Any feedback? Also still wondering if its mass compliant without having it fixed/welded to the barrel?

Thank You!

Adam

This is not a muzzle device. It is a replacement for the barrel bushing and it inserted into the slide not threaded into the barrel.
Even it it was threaded comp you don't need to pin or weld anything.

It legally is not a concern because you nor attaching it to a potential assault weapon.

But in order to function a compensator requires a hot high velocity load with alot of gas to push the gun down and forward. I suspect a .45 will accomplish nothing but look silly.

Last edited:
It legally is not a concern because yooo nor attaching it to a potential assault weapon.

But in order to function a compensator requires a hot high velocity load with alot of gas to push the gun down and forward. I suspect a .45 will accomplish nothing but look silly.

Popcorn emoji: There are lots of compensated .45's made by well regarded shooters/gunsmiths. Even a factory one in the early 90's:

Springfield Factory Comp

The Springfield Factory Comp was a high-quality competition 1911-style pistol manufactured by the Springfield Armory company. Springfield Armory leases the rights to the name “Springfield Armory” from the actual Springfield Armory national historic site in Springfield, MA.

This guns was designed for competition use. This specific model is no longer produced, but others are.

Springfield_factory_comp1.jpg

Why do you think legality is an issue? To be an assault weapon a pistol has to have two or more evil features. What are the two evil features you think it has?

1. Threaded barrel
  2. Foregrip for offhand that does not burn holder
  3. Magazine outside pistol grip
  4. Copy of full auto
  5. Weighs more than 50oz
At most a threaded barrel so not an AW

Don’t spread FUD

It legally is not a concern because yooo nor attaching it to a potential assault weapon.

Why do you think legality is an issue? To be an assault weapon a pistol has to have two or more evil features. What are the two evil features you think it has?

1. Threaded barrel
  2. Foregrip for offhand that does not burn holder
  3. Magazine outside pistol grip
  4. Copy of full auto
  5. Weighs more than 50oz
At most a threaded barrel so not an AW

Don’t spread FUD

So if that's directed at my question then appreciate the response and not trying to spread fear however doing a general search on "are compensators legal in Massachusetts on Pistols" brings zero results.

I ask because people here have a lot more gun knowledge than I. The general gun laws here are murky at best. I read the above and agree it only meets the threaded barrel so should be all set was just confirming as last thing I want is to possess something I shouldn't in this state. Heroin addicts? Here some Narcan an EBT card and free subsidized living as you are disabled due to your addiction.

Something the AG doesnt like on a firearm? FELONY! JAIL! $100000000000 in fines.

Again appreciate the responses and confirmation. I think im going to go with a drop in clarks custom match barrel with compensator attached.

https://clarkcustomguns.com/product/clark-custom-1911-drop-compensator-kit/#tab-description

Reviews look promising. Would go with stainless on my stainless Sig 1911. If anyone has feedback post up!

Thanks!

Adam

So if that's directed at my question then appreciate the response and not trying to spread fear however doing a general search on "are compensators legal in Massachusetts on Pistols" brings zero results.

The question is not is something legal, but is something illegal. Our legal system is based on the premise that if it is not explicitly prohibited, it is legal (obvious caveats regarding activist DAs, AGs, Judges). Silencers/Supressors are illegal explicitly. The law is silent on the device you attach to your threaded barrel on your pistol or if you have an integrated flash hider, muzzle break, compensator, etc. This means that all are legal. Go wild.

Don't confuse the evil feature list for rifles which cares about the device attached to your rifle.

OK first, compensators are legal on AR style rifles provided they are pinned and welded. Its the flash hider that is not Mass. legal. Second the bushing type comps are useless since they do not redirect enough gas as the barrel unlocks. A true compensator is attached to the barrel and allows the bullet to pass through, redirecting gasses out the ports. The bushing comp is a just a cheap add on, like spinning hub caps.

The question is not is something legal, but is something illegal. Our legal system is based on the premise that if it is not explicitly prohibited, it is legal (obvious caveats regarding activist DAs, AGs, Judges). Silencers/Supressors are illegal explicitly. The law is silent on the device you attach to your threaded barrel on your pistol or if you have an integrated flash hider, muzzle break, compensator, etc. This means that all are legal. Go wild.

Don't confuse the evil feature list for rifles which cares about the device attached to your rifle.

Totally get what you are saying and much appreciated! I hear you on the legality I just am super cautious with Massachusetts as last thing I want is someone saying "hey I don't think you should have that!" and needing to get a lawyer to state the obvious that it isn't illegal is all.

Again very help and appreciate the info!

OK first, compensators are legal on AR style rifles provided they are pinned and welded. Its the flash hider that is not Mass. legal. Second the bushing type comps are useless since they do not redirect enough gas as the barrel unlocks. A true compensator is attached to the barrel and allows the bullet to pass through, redirecting gasses out the ports. The bushing comp is a just a cheap add on, like spinning hub caps.

Right I think i'm going with the Clark Custom match barrel with the compensator attached (posted above).

There is an article on shooting times (take it for what its worth) that actually shows the Wilson Combat Multi-Bushing comp is actually fairly effective. Still not as much as the physically fixed comps but 30% reduction is nothing to sneeze at.

But for $130 for Wilson Combat vs $250 for Clark Custom barrel at that point if im spending $130 might as well go for the $250 barrel which is more effective.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmithing/reducing-recoil-traditional-vs-bushing-compensators/

i wouldn't waste my time or $$ with such compensators. the 45acp is a low pressure round that gains relatively little by being compensated. further the steel 1911 is already pretty heavy with marginal recoil. and probably most important reason not to swap in a comp is that the factory barrel bushing is going to be a good fit to the barrel. there's no way replacing your barrel bushing with a one-size-fits-all part is going to improve accuracy or reliability.

I have a .460 Rowland built on a ruger 1911 commander. I fitted it with a dual port comp from ZR Tactical Solutions. It shoots like a 9mm with .45 acp. My barrel is threaded and its a true comp, i dont know how well the bushing comps work but I've heard good things about the Wilson combat.

The sensation I get is not so much a reduction in recoil, but in muzzle rise. My 38 Super hits your hand pretty hard, but it stays really flat in doing so. One has to play around with bullet weight/ powder selection for max effectiveness.

ETA- for my 2 cents, try it and see. Easy enough to put the OEM bushing back in if the comp/bushing sucks. It's not like your going to ruin the pistol or anything.

Last edited:
I have a stainless comp barrel bushing I bought just for the hell of it. It dropped in nicely on several 1911’s I tried it on but was too tight on several others.
Using it at the range I didn’t notice much of a difference in felt recoil/ muzzle flip but I was using slightly less than factory power reloads so that may have played a role.

As someone who shot lots of pins with a comped .45, it does work, but load selection is important and honestly I think a big part of the effectiveness is the fact that you're adding weight in front of the gun...

It DOES seem to be more effective with hotter loads with slower burning powders....

I agree that if this is just a fart-around gun with no specific application, a comp is pretty much a waste of money.

-Mike

As someone who shot lots of pins with a comped .45, it does work, but load selection is important and honestly I think a big part of the effectiveness is the fact that you're adding weight in front of the gun...

It DOES seem to be more effective with hotter loads with slower burning powders....

I agree that if this is just a fart-around gun with no specific application, a comp is pretty much a waste of money.

-Mike

Oh its 100% a fart-around gun at the range lol! I just get bored and figured id try out a compensated barrel from clark customs. My S&W 629 .44 magnum hunter revolver is compensated and I love the look plus it does help mitigate recoil/muzzle rise (although .44 magnum is a far cry from .45acp).

I may still do it, depends on if I keep my 1911 or sell it and swap it for a Kimber.

Above though eve with standard factory ammo the compensated barrel helps. Bushing style obviously is hit or miss but the clark compensated barrel should help a good deal if I go that route.

Oh yeah, by the way.... plugs and muffs. If your making enough pressure for the thing to work it's stupid loud.

Oh yeah, by the way.... plugs and muffs. If your making enough pressure for the thing to work it's stupid loud.

Yea I learned that the hard way shooting my comped .44 mag hunter revolver on the indoor pistol range...Even with my electronic ear protection it was really loud. Luckily was shooting by myself I dont think others would have been too happy!

Back
Top Bottom