1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Drone advice request

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Radtekk, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Radtekk

Radtekk NES Member

Poor planning... Leaving Wednesday morning to drive to Tennessee to look at our new home (closing in July) and meet contractors to get estimates on some work. 20+ acres, lots of walking. Thinking an "overview" would be a good idea. Want a drone. Never owned one, flown one, shopped for one, etc...

What I'm looking for:
    UNDER $100 with at least one spare battery.
    Decent range with controller or phone. 100 feet is NOT decent range when an acre is 200+ ft a side. I guess that means phone links to controller and gets used as a video screen in-flight.
    MUST be able to capture stills, video would be nice also.
    And WHATEVER it is, seller MUST be able to deliver it by Tuesday end-of-day. We roll out 7am Wednesday. So probably Amazon Prime.
    YUP, PPPPPP!

Thanks!

2. Woodstock

Woodstock NES Member

I know nothing about drones, but because of the time squeeze, you might consider having it shipped to a trusted contact in TN so it isn't landing on your doorstep in MA on Wednesday afternoon. Best wishes on your escape plans.

3. devo86

devo86

No sub 100$ drone is going to fly outside very well, and you would be lucky to get 100ft range. sub 100$ will not give any sort of good picture or video. If you want a drone to do what you want, you have to at least triple what you want to spend.Gotta spend in the 3-500$ range for a decent outdoor drone

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  4. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

You might try a local drone guy, he may take some video of your property for you for 100 bux?

5. commodon

commodon NES Member

Your best bet is to go to Best Buy and buy a DJI Tello. It's their entry level, super easy to fly drone, it can fly up to 30ft high and up to 300ft distance. It only costs $90

"Learn about drones, shoot video and easily perform impressive tricks with this lightweight Ryze Tello drone. The 5-megapixel camera records JPEG photos and 720p MP4 video, and the Tello flies up to 10m vertically and up to 100m away. This Ryze Tello drone operates up to 13 minutes per charge."

See https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ryze-tech-tello-quadcopter-white-and-black/6201408.p?skuId=6201408

mibro likes this.
  6. mibro

mibro NES Member

7. mibro

mibro NES Member

Wow. Amazing.

8. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Radtekk, if the drone thing doesn't work out you can always revert to Google Earth. Of course not the same, but better than nothing and you can print stuff before you go.

Choctaw likes this.
  9. widnerkj

widnerkj

Yup TELLO would be the quicketst (cheap) bet. Any drone with a great camera is going to cost scads more. But for a quick peak. should be fine.

10. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

this might be your best bet. i found there was a steep learning curve trying to fly it properly. maybe it was just me, but you're not gonna go from box to air right out of the box.

xjma99 likes this.
  11. Wickedcoolname

Wickedcoolname NES Member

Never take advice from people who put the dollar sign here 100$

xjma99 and greencobra like this.
  12. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

Just find a local real estate drone photographer and pay him.

13. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

ahh..probably a european.

14. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

a hundred dollar drone is a toy

It still has to be FAA registered if over 55 grams ( or about 2 ounces), it has to be lettered/marked with your FAA registration number, you can not legally fly within 5 miles of any airport or helipad without notifying each and every one of them that you are flying. If you are near any sort of a minor or major airport (8 NM from a Logan type, Class B airspace, or a Hanscom, or even a Lawrence) you are not allowed to fly without FAA approval and that is near impossible to get as a hobbyist sUAV operator.

Save your money... all the drones that work off a smart phone using WiFi are limited range and height, and IMO not worth bothering with.

15. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

I know a guy that went box to air ( inside Class B airspace to boot a huge no no) that watched his $1500 dollar drone fly away never to return due to not setting up the return to home and other functions. To make it worse he had to buy another one before his wife found out the first one went AWOL.

Somewhere in West Medford MA there is a nice drone in a tree or on a roof, or in a lake

xjma99 likes this.
  16. NHKevin

NHKevin NES Member

As Appraiser alluded, there are a lot of regulatory considerations. The rules exist to separate drone ops from manned aircraft ops.

17. kingfisher

kingfisher

I thought it's 0.55 pounds. A review at the Best Buy website says about the Tello, "It's well under the FAA required registration weight."

commodon likes this.
  18. commodon

commodon NES Member

Correct (with its battery it weighs about 4 ounces) and with the Tello limited to a vertical height of 30 feet and distance of 300 feet, it is not required to be registered with the FAA.

Additionally the purpose of the Tello is to provide first-time users with an extremely affordable drone providing an introduction to flight with still pictures and video. It should fit the OP's needs perfectly for what he needs to accomplish.

19. commodon

commodon NES Member

It is amazing technology. I have a P4, but I wouldn't mind grabbing one of these or a Spark for something I can safely leave in the SUV for last minute use.

20. minininjer

minininjer NES Door Greeter NES Member

Yeah.. it's 0.55 pounds, not grams. Drones weighing at least 0.55 pounds (250 grams) must be registered with the FAA if they are flown for noncommercial purposes under Part 101, the FAA Special Rule for Model Aircraft.

I was going to say the Tello based on your price range but I can't recommend it based on personal experience. I have a DJI Spark... actually had one that I dropped in the river (user stupidity) and now I have a refurbished one. They're a little more expensive than what your budget is but it's well worth it, it's easy to use, etc and I highly recommend it for a beginner. Just make sure you aren't near by zones like airports, etc. You can get these at Best Buy or you can order on Amazon. You can only get a refurbed one from DJI though.

If you're hard set on the $100 price range, I'd try the Tello. I don't know how well they would work for your altitude and distance though... what you're asking for seems unrealistic for the price range, IMO :confused::p

21. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

I stand corrected on the weight.

I have to go take my re-current for my 107 license this week... I hope that question is on the test.

DJI_0361aaa.jpg

22. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

If the Tello's camera is too poor for what you need, plus the lack of range (wifi control... ick!)... go for the Spark. And, Best Buy should have it too. I realize it's more ($300 to $400 IIRC?), but you'll get a good camera, long range, and GPS with it.

23. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

Go big or go home. Anything that is using WiFi and a tablet/cell phone as a control device is going to be limited to low height and short distances. Plus flight time... I get about 20 minutes per rechargeable battery and I carry 3 spares

Since you always have to have the drone in your sight, it may not be a problem for doing a house shoot, but at some point you are going to want to do more and you are going to scream when you can't do it. If you have a DJI product, and one of their controllers, it is amazing what it can do. I have done 2 miles out in an open field using Cree Strobon LED's which are FAA compliant for the three mile minimum detection rule.

It is like motorcycles, buy a 250cc bike and in 3 weeks you will be wanting something bigger.

PS every picture I have used in this thread has been printed 24 x 36" That is the other thing a quality sUAV is going to give you.

DJI_0069.JPG

24. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Yup, a controller is another important detail. Controlling by phone or tablet may sound convenient, but it sucks! If it's not obvious to the OP, here's why: To properly fly the drone a short distance over you and a house, you'll need to look at the drone. If you are looking at the drone, you can't see what you're pressing on your phone. Phone controls provide no tactile feedback, so you have no idea what you're doing. You'll have to keep looking down at phone to know what you're pressing, but then you're not watching the drone. And, since this is a cheap unit, it won't have a good ability to remember where it is without GPS so while you're trying to look at your phone, the thing is slowly drifting around and getting closer to objects you don't want to hit. All that annoyance is easily avoided with a controller.

25. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

Put a big swastika on the property, you'll get plenty of photos from the local news. All kidding aside, ask a local realtor for a recommendation for property photographer

26. Choctaw

Choctaw NES Life Member NES Member

I agree with the Google Earth idea. They just updated their photos over that area March 2019.

20 acres isn't very large to be honest (in regards to walking it out). It's an ideal size for a home with a bit of buffer between neighbors.

Radtekk and Mountain like this.
  27. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Unless it is all flat land, 30' may not clear trees on the property.

Also be aware that states that are in Free America may have helipads/landing strips at residences and thus put you in the "notify" zone. One house in SE NH we looked at had a helipad at a residence on the street behind the house we were looking at. I've also seen grass landing strips at people's homes in the past.

28. Radtekk

Radtekk NES Member

All good advice, and much appreciated. Champagne taste and beer budget on my part, combined with a healthy dose of wishful thinking.

To address some suggestions, concerns, thoughts, etc, in no particular order...

I'm far enough from an airport that none of that is an issue, and since it will likely be a one or two time deal, not terribly worried about LE. Also, thought it wouldn't matter to the FAA, it would be non-commercial use on my own property.

I'm not looking for a survey for future reference as much as just seeing what's where from a different perspective. A local photographer would give me that once, but as seasons change and visibility follows, multiple "hey, what's over there?" flights will be needed. Multiple $100 or so payments would add up quick.

Info about brands, flight times, range, image quality, controller styles were ALL useful.

ALL the advice was and is much appreciated. For now, I'm gonna wait. Ultimately I will likely up my game, but with a pending move and the associated expenses "wouldn't it be nice to have a...?" has to toke a back seat.

Thanks all, NES come through again!

Choctaw and commodon like this.
  29. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Load B4UFly on your phone (unsure if it will work on a computer) and check out what's in that area. You'll be shocked what might be around you and how close by.

In MA they put companies thru hell to get permission to land helicopters on their industrial properties. In places like NH it appears that everyone can have a choppper and a helipad at their house! Likely the same where you are buying.

Good luck!

Radtekk likes this.
  30. wilson911

wilson911