• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Driving to NJ

kalash

NES Member
I'm driving to northern New Jersey soon and want to poke around some gun stores just over the border PA - think between Bethlehem PA and Port Jervis NY.

Two questions:
1) What are some good stores in that part of PA?
2) Can I legally have ammo with me (no firearms) in NY, NJ, CT, PA with just a MA license?

I'm driving to northern New Jersey soon and want to poke around some gun stores just over the border PA - think between Bethlehem PA and Port Jervis NY.

Two questions:
2) Can I legally have ammo with me (no firearms) in NY, NJ, CT, PA with just a MA license?

Cabela's in Hamburg is not too far from Bethlehem and they have a ton of stuff. Not a lot around where I live, only small stores with limited inventory.
Try a gun show, if you're in over the weekend. I have scored some awesome stuff at times. Prepare to be amazed,if you do.
As far as the ammo, I used to buy ammo all the time from PA, while living in MA. No one ever asked me. You can buy all you want up here.

Don't even go for gas, you can't pump your own.
Next time you see a car with garden state plates, see if you can spot the circle in the trunk lid from where attendants place the gas cap. I've never gotten gas in NJ and I don't plan on it either.

Isn't there some odd hollow point ban in NJ? I don't know the details of it.

Not quite. There is a widespread but incorrect belief that HP ammo is illegal for civilians to possess in NJ. It's legal to possess in your home, and under certain other limited circumstances. Per the NJ State Police: http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_hollow.html

However if you are one of the lucky few who has a carry permit in NJ you cannot use HPs in your carry gun.* Whether or not that applies to retired LE carrying under LEOSA seems to be a matter of debate: http://forums.officer.com/t191276/

There is a separate "possession of HP ammo during commission of a crime" charge that's a common pile-on. If someone commits a crime with a gun loaded with HP ammo, the short newspaper article is often something like "A convenience store at the corner of Garden Road and State Street was held up late last night. Joe Jones was arrested shortly afterwards and was charged with aggravated armed robbery, unlawful possession of a firearm, and unlawful possession of hollow-point ammunition." Unsurprisingly, many people come away from reading that believing that possession of HP ammo is illegal generally.

That said it is really easy to run afoul of gun laws in NJ and police tend not to give you the benefit of the doubt. I would avoid the place if I had any firearms or ammo in my possession, period. The cheap gas isn't worth it. I've heard too many horror stories. And I say this as someone who grew up there.

Oh and no one complains about the lack of self-service gas in NJ because even though it's all full-serve, it's still cheaper than in any of the three surrounding states. (Low gas taxes, plus cheap transportation costs because you're close to the refineries.) People mostly believe that if the law were changed to allow self-serve, the gas stations wouldn't pass the savings on to the customer, they'd simply pocket it, and some marginally-employable mope would be out of a job. Whether you see that as a good thing or not, depends on your politics (and please, let's not have that debate).

OTOH if you're on a motorcycle the attendant typically just hands you the nozzle.

If you go to Bethlehem, the Cigars International flagship store is really worth a visit. They have a ton of inventory and a lot of really good specials, and a nice smoking lounge. Also it is worth taking a drive past the old Bethlehem Steel plant just to be awed by its size. That Cabelas in Hamburg is huge, biggest one I have been in.

Two questions:

I feel sorry for you

If you go to Bethlehem, the Cigars International flagship store is really worth a visit. They have a ton of inventory and a lot of really good specials, and a nice smoking lounge. Also it is worth taking a drive past the old Bethlehem Steel plant just to be awed by its size. That Cabelas in Hamburg is huge, biggest one I have been in.
Awesome tip about CI, thanks! I've driven past the steel plant before - at night when some of it is lit up it's still quite impressive.

I feel sorry for you
Cool story bro?

If you are going to be there over the weekend, try shooting sporting clays at Lehigh Valley Sport clay range and then go get beer and ribs at Grumpys bbq down the road

FUGGET NJ

Honestly, in many respects I feel bad for NJ.

The toxic waste in NJ is simply dumped there by America's A**hole, NYC.

That said, leave all your weapons HOME.

The crap the GOVERNMENT can toss your way in NJ is so much more likely and severe than anything criminals can.

If you must, bring KIMBER Pepper Spray. I don't really know SH*T about Pepper Spray and NJ, but I do know it would likely bring down Trayon long enough to get in your car and beat feet real fast.

can't carry HP ammo because .nj wants your self defense round to penetrate the attacker and fling into an innocent unrelated person across the street. makes sense.

i dunno about the rest of the world, but in my small brain the appeal of HP ammo is that the ****ing projectile has a better chance of stopping as opposed to flying forever.

NJ fail.

Don't even go for gas, you can't pump your own.

Sigh, used to be they not only pumped your gas, but cleaned your windshield, checked oil and tires. No coffee, cigarettes, or lottery tickets just service and free maps and air.

Def not bringing firearms. Just wondering if it's legal to drive through some of those states if I buy ammo in PA.

Def not bringing firearms. Just wondering if it's legal to drive through some of those states if I buy ammo in PA.

Federally yes but its NJ. By the way if you have a dog in your vehicle in NJ it must be in a harness. $1000.00 fine! Seat belt fine for you $75.00. Dogs lives matter!

Awesome tip about CI, thanks! I've driven past the steel plant before - at night when some of it is lit up it's still quite impressive.

I actually forgot that they have 2 stores in Bethlehem, the one downtown and the "super store". I've only been to the super store. They are having a big "pallet sale" August 1-7. Last time when I checked out they gave me a coupon for a free cigar at a local bar they own in an old railroad station, so I hit that up and had a nice stogie and some wings.

If you must, bring KIMBER Pepper Spray. I don't really know SH*T about Pepper Spray and NJ, but I do know it would likely bring down Trayon long enough to get in your car and beat feet real fast.

NJ law allows you to carry one pocket sized container of defense spray (to include pepper spray) that is no larger than 3/4 oz. I also would NOT risk the Kimber pepper blaster, since it is #209 primer fired. YMMV

No Sheet

NJ law allows you to carry one pocket sized container of defense spray (to include pepper spray) that is no larger than 3/4 oz. I also would NOT risk the Kimber pepper blaster, since it is #209 primer fired. YMMV

Well, this confirms the "Advice" I will always give when engaged with any of Obama's "SONS".

Lie down, and DIE.

You will never be accused of being a Racist, your body will never be dug and fed to swine (as they wish to do to Confederate heroes), your family will, honestly, be better off.

OR, you could vote for TRUMP.

If you are near Allentown there is a great sporting clays venue in an abandoned quarry just west of town. You can rent a shotgun and buy ammo there. Lehigh Valley sporting clays in Coplay, PA.

Back
Top Bottom