Driving Through NJ to PA

A question for NJ members:

I'm driving to Topton, PA for two matches this year, and my route takes me through NJ. I also hope to attend the OBCATS shotugh match later this year in NJ.

Are there any special transport reqirements beyond securing pistol/rifle and ammo separately in the trunk?

Are there any special NJ laws governing semi-auto shotguns? I ask because I have a Benelli M2 with a +5 extension, giving me a total of nine rounds in the gun.

Thank you for your time,

John K.

WRT to your shotgun, travel in compliance with the requirements of FOPA and the fact that your shotgun does not comply with NJ law is irrelevant.

A question for NJ members:

I'm driving to Topton, PA for two matches this year, and my route takes me through NJ. I also hope to attend the OBCATS shotugh match later this year in NJ.

Are there any special transport reqirements beyond securing pistol/rifle and ammo separately in the trunk?

Are there any special NJ laws governing semi-auto shotguns? I ask because I have a Benelli M2 with a +5 extension, giving me a total of nine rounds in the gun.

Thank you for your time,

John K.

If the gun is being transported in compliance with the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986, the laws in NJ recognize that as legal.

Now if you wanted to be really safe, you could get a non-resident permit for NJ. that would allow you to possess gun in the state.

But if you're travelling to PA, there's only a few limited circumstances where it's legal for you to transport the gun without a PA License to Carry Firearms. The link to the PA law on that is here.

You can get an application for the PA LTCF by clicking here, it's cheap and easy to get, but will make things a lot easier for you while you're there.

But if you're travelling to PA, there's only a few limited circumstances where it's legal for you to transport the gun without a PA License to Carry Firearms. The link to the PA law on that is here.

Correction: PA law on that point refers to handguns. Standard long guns may be transported with no problems. PA law defines firearms as a pistol or revolver, or SBRs/SBSs.

I hate to throw cold water here,but isn't NJ like NY state and don't issue non resident permits. I've heard and read on other forums about NJ LEOs pretty much ignoring FOPA and arresting anyone with a firearm and no NJ permit. Might be a better idea to fly to Pa and avoid the possible headaches.

I hate to throw cold water here,but isn't NJ like NY state and don't issue non resident permits. I've heard and read on other forums about NJ LEOs pretty much ignoring FOPA and arresting anyone with a firearm and no NJ permit. Might be a better idea to fly to Pa and avoid the possible headaches.

A carry permit is almost impossible to get in NJ, but a permit to possess is fairly easy to get. This is a link to the application, and there's more info on how to apply at this link:

Q2.
How do you obtain a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or a Permit to Purchase a Handgun?

Download Form
A2.
You must apply at your local police department. If you do not have a local police department or you are an out of state resident, you must apply at the nearest New Jersey State Police station (excluding toll roads, stations on the New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, and Atlantic City Expressway).

For any further information outlining specific requirements, contact your local police department or nearest New Jersey State Police station.

It seems pretty straightforward, and knowing NJ's reputation as anti-gun, it can't hurt to have the license.

Back
Top Bottom