Driving through MA with rifle

Akkurat

NES Member
Do to my route home to Vermont, it would be preferable to drive through MA. I’ve been visiting a friend in NY doing some shooting and will gave a lever action long gun in my trunk. Is it legal to drive through MA? Also any source of information on this online?

FOPA
As long as you are legal in the state you originate your travels and where you are destined, it's legal to travel with.
Some one will be along with the details on how to transport so I won't mess it up by posting what I "think I remember" in regards to MA law.

As already mentioned, FOPA and proper unloaded storage theoretically makes you legal.

Hands at 10 and 2, drive the speed limit, gas up before you enter MA, and don't stop until you hit VT.

Me personally-since you're already in NY, I would avoid MA altogether. Several routes in NY that hugs that state's eastern border or even I87 to Albany and one of the roads to the VT border.

Yeah I understand about route options but I have to pick up a relative in MA on my way up.

Yeah I understand about route options but I have to pick up a relative in MA on my way up.
That may change things. Federal law covers you when you are driving through states to your destination. However, I am not sure if stopping for this purpose would be covered. Hopefully others with better legal knowledge will chime in.

That may change things. Federal law covers you when you are driving through states to your destination. However, I am not sure if stopping for this purpose would be covered. Hopefully others with better legal knowledge will chime in.

Can the relative jump in while you drive by slowly with the car door open???

:)

FOPA does NOT apply when you stop in an "unfriendly" location for anything other than gas, bathroom break and perhaps grabbing a quick bite to eat (not with friends/relatives).

However, you may be OK if you pack it to comply with FOPA AND meet the following criteria (exception to the law where I bolded the pertinent language):

MGL C. 140 § 129C
The provisions of this section shall not apply to the following exempted persons and uses:
(p) Carrying or possession by residents or nonresidents of so-called black powder rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor as described in such paragraphs (A) and (B) of the third paragraph of section 121, and the carrying or possession of conventional rifles, shotguns, and ammunition therefor by nonresidents who meet the requirements for such carrying or possession in the state in which they reside.
"Conventional" in this context means NON-large capacity rifles.

Just claim you are a militia of separatist minorities and you can walk down Route 95 brandishing, no problem…never heard another peep on this. Anyone else?

FOPA does NOT apply when you stop in an "unfriendly" location for anything other than gas, bathroom break and perhaps grabbing a quick bite to eat (not with friends/relatives).

However, you may be OK if you pack it to comply with FOPA AND meet the following criteria (exception to the law where I bolded the pertinent language):

MGL C. 140 § 129C

"Conventional" in this context means NON-large capacity rifles.
I read a legal blog of a respected firearms attorney that said stays in a hotel are allowed as long as they are part of the journey. For example, if I traveled from PA to Maine and stayed overnight in Worcester and went about my way in the morning FOPA would cover this stay. I’m curious if you agree with that statement.

Just go pee when you pick up your relative.

Let‘s not overthink. Drive safely and don’t get stopped. If you do get stopped, don’t get searched. Make a good-faith effort to comply with the MA transport standards.

Then? Delete this thread.

I read a legal blog of a respected firearms attorney that said stays in a hotel are allowed as long as they are part of the journey. For example, if I traveled from PA to Maine and stayed overnight in Worcester and went about my way in the morning FOPA would cover this stay. I’m curious if you agree with that statement.
Sorry but I don't agree. There is a guy from PA that spent 3 yrs in a NJ prison that did exactly that when he missed his flight home to PA. He appealed and lost . . . I think up to the NJ Supreme Court. So I wouldn't bet on that interpretation. Read FOPA and nowhere does it state that overnight stays are allowed. IANAL

Put a resist or coexist bumper sticker on your car. No one will think you’re responsible enough to take measures to defend yourself.

Just go pee when you pick up your relative.

Let‘s not overthink. Drive safely and don’t get stopped. If you do get stopped, don’t get searched. Make a good-faith effort to comply with the MA transport standards.

Then? Delete this thread.
Just go full sov-cit "I'm not driving I'm traveling", works every time

Wasn’t worth the risk.
There should be an interstate compact that states that bolt action rifles, pump shotguns, and lever action rifles are always legal to possess if unloaded in the trunk of a car. People shouldn’t have to worry about driving/stopping etc.

Wasn’t worth the risk.
There should be an interstate compact that states that bolt action rifles, pump shotguns, and lever action rifles are always legal to possess if unloaded in the trunk of a car. People shouldn’t have to worry about driving/stopping etc.
Why in the world should one limit to just that? If we're doing Fudd guns, it should be all of them. But there's really no reason for any of it.

Also, we have that compact, it's FOPA. There are edges that are untested and states that don't like to abide it. But if you don't talk your way into a roadside search, you don't have anything to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom