• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

driving from MA to VT...

I have a MA LTC A large capacity....what do I need to do to drive thru NH....from what I have been able to dig up is I can CC while driving up... but if I am not CC I need to have it locked in a separate container than the ammo....have I got it right??[thinking]

Just skip driving through Mass and then into Vermont, skip NH all together.

Or get a P&R (takes about a week)

Or ride dirty and hope you don't get caught.

you cannot have a loaded gun in a car - ever - or carry concealed in NH w/o a permit. you can oc all you want. (but as soon as you get into a car, gotta unload it.)

I was under the impression that we could open carry in new Hampshire without any special permit. we only needed a permit for concealed carry?

I was under the impression that we could open carry in new Hampshire without any special permit. we only needed a permit for concealed carry?

that's what I said

- - - Updated - - -

the question so nice, OP had to ask it twice...

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/general-discussion/214927-driving-ma-vt.html

what part of Vt are you heading? if it's southern VT then mine as well take the pike out to 89, but if you're heading north you are going to want to unload everything and separate it. NH is like that.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but do you need a license to CC in Vermont? I plan to drive to northern VT this weekend and avoiding NH because I have no licence in NH yet.
Mike

A synopsis of Vermont state laws on purchase, possession and carrying of firearms.

PURCHASE

No permit is required to purchase a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.

Dealers are required to keep a record of all handgun sales, and used handgun purchases. This record must include the date of the transaction, the marks of identification of the handgun, including manufacturer’s name, caliber, model and serial number, the purchaser’s or seller’s name, address, birthplace, occupation, age, height, weight, and color of eyes and hair. The purchaser or seller shall sign his name to the record and the dealer must keep such records in a book for six years after the date of the last entry and shall permit law enforcement officers to inspect the book at all reasonable times.

It is unlawful to sell or offer to sell a zip gun.

POSSESSION

No state permit is required to possess a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.

It is unlawful for a child under 16, without consent of his parent or guardian, to possess or control a handgun.

It is unlawful to possess a zip gun. It is generally agreed that a zip gun is a crude homemade firearm.

CARRYING

It is lawful to carry a firearm openly or concealed provided the firearm is not carried with the intent or avowed purpose of injuring a fellow man. It is unlawful to carry a firearm within any state institution or upon the grounds or lands owned or leased by such institution. *READ ALL

ANTIQUES AND REPLICAS

Vermont laws are silent on the subject of antiques and replicas. However, an opinion of the Attorney General holds that handguns defined as antiques or replicas under the 1968 Gun Control Act need not be entered in the sales records as long as they do not fire conventional ammunition.

MACHINE GUNS

It is lawful to possess, purchase, or sell a machine gun that is legally registered and possessed in compliance with all federal laws and regulations.

Preemption

VT. STAT. ANN. tit. 24 § 2295 (2011) Authority of municipal and county governments to regulate firearms, ammunition, hunting, fishing and trapping *READ ALL

Range Protection

VT. STAT. ANN. tit. 10 §5227 (2011) The owner or operator of a sport shooting range, and a person lawfully using the range, who is in substantial compliance with any noise use condition of any issued municipal or state land use permit otherwise required by law*READ ALL

MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS

The possession, ownership, transfer, carrying, or registration or licensing of firearms or ammunition has been pre-emptied by state law.

It is unlawful to take or attempt to take a wild animal from a motorized vehicle or within then feet of the traveled portion of a public highway.

SOURCES: Vt. Stat. Ann. §§ 10-113-4705; 13-85-4003; 13-85-4004; 13-85-4006; 13-85-4008; 13-85-4013; 13-85-4016; 24-61-2295

CAUTION:*Firearm laws are subject to frequent change and court interpretation. This summary is not intended as legal advice or restatement of law. This summary does not include federal or local laws, ordinances or regulations. For any particular situation, a licensed local attorney must be consulted for an accurate interpretation. YOU MUST ABIDE WITH ALL LAWS: STATE, FEDERAL AND LOCAL.

It is unlawful to carry or possess a firearm in a school bus or school building or on school property.* The board of school directors may authorize the use of firearms for instructional purposes when facilities for such instruction are available.

It is unlawful to carry or possess a loaded rifle or shotgun in or on a motor vehicle within the right of way of a public highway. Exempt are law enforcement officers and hunters who are paraplegic or have a severe physical disability and have been issued a permit by the fish and game commissioner.

It is unlawful, without authorization from the court, to carry or possess a firearm while within a courthouse.

It is unlawful to possess a deadly weapon on the grounds of a state institution, without the permission of the Warden or superintendent of that institution.*

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

It's really strange because VT is a very liberal state.

Yeah it is really strange. I've been working in VT every week since November and if I could find a job up here, I'd move in a heartbeat.

You're pretty much forced to own guns up here in VT. I love going to the local Walmart and see guys open carrying and not 1 person seems to care. It's great. Aside from the MAJOR drug problem plaguing VT, it's an awesome state.

Guys ... do not forget FOPA. The federal Firearms Owners Protection Act allows you o travel through ANY state as long as the gun is locked in your trunk and unloaded. If you are in a vehicle without a trunk (SUV/Pickup) then the guns/ammo must be in a locked container. You are allowed to make short stops (e.g. Food , gas, rest room) and these rights have been upheld in court. DO NOT MAKE ANY OTHER STOPS. Completed and pending court cases in NY/NJ have been initiated against people sleeping in rest areas and stopping to visit relatives.

Best advice is 1. Lock the firearms/ammunition in your trunk. 2. Obey the speed limit 3. Enjoy the scenery.

Back
Top Bottom