• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Driving cross country

Hypothetically, if someone with only a MA LTC-A and NH non-res wants to drive to some place out west to camp on private property, how would be the way to drive, and do rest stops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... Please excuse the brevity and auto corrected wrong words

How far west are we talking?

Locked in a case in the trunk, and do not stop in New York, New Jersey, or now Connecticut. Do not speed or give any reason to be pulled over and you will be fine. If it helps your peace of mind Google and print the text of FOPA "Firearm Owner Protection Act" to have on your person for this journey.

Also, ensure that your final destination is firearm friendly and that your permits are reciprocal.

I drove to MN from NH with guns in my car. I took the long way down through PA so I could avoid most of NY, and since my car gets 90MPG, I didn't have to stop in NY at all. Fuel in PA, OH, no stops in IL so it was all good.

It helps if vehicle is not covered with gun/hunting related bumper stickers, and your not dressed like one of the duck dynasty guys.

That, and if you dont look like a dirtbag, you will likely not even be asked if you have any in the event of a stop.

I drive to Michigan every year.

I load up my guns and ammo, get in my car, drive, keep my mouth shut, and no one knows the difference.

Profiling... If you look like you might, you will likely be asked if you have firearms.
Been pulled over enough times and dont ever recall being asked if I did.
Usually just "license, registration, and do you know how fast you were going?"

I have to agree. Even though they are not "supposed to" profile, they are human so it is natural to do so. Hell, I carry everywhere, and constantly profile others to determine whether they might be carrying, are a threat, etc. Sometimes its just for fun, but its always about situational awareness, so I agree if you look like you would be armed, then expect to be hassled. Its just the way it is...

Looks like I can't do this legally for a while. The state I was planning on camping in doesn't have reciprocity with MA or NH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... Please excuse the brevity and auto corrected wrong words

Looks like I can't do this legally for a while. The state I was planning on camping in doesn't have reciprocity with MA or NH

Depending on the state out there, you could possibly open carry. Also, most of the western states (all except California I think) don't require anything to possess, just to carry.

Depending on the state out there, you could possibly open carry. Also, most of the western states (all except California I think) don't require anything to possess, just to carry.

This.

For example Colorado allows open carry and having a loaded handgun in a car- with no license needed- you only need a license to concealed carry. And outside of a few states (MA, NY, NJ, IL, CA) you don't need government permission to possess a weapon.

Utah, take the class and it's sixty days to issue. Not sure what the Florida timeframe is.

I wonder how long it will be, though, before a trooper in NY, NJ, or IL will be able to run your tags and see that the registered owner has a MA LTC. Then, no matter how reasonably you are driving or how clean-cut your appearance, they may stop you just to see if you are transporting anything.

Also, tangentially related, an infuriating read (the subject, not the writer) on the dangers of flying through NY or NJ--or even stopping there unintentionally due to a plane diversion--with no protection from the FOPA: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/376076/no-flying-guns-charles-c-w-cooke

Utah, take the class and it's sixty days to issue. Not sure what the Florida timeframe is.

Florida is cheaper. Requires no class (Other than the one you already took to get your MA LTC), and issue time is about the same or less, and covers almost all the same states except PA and one other (i think).

Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by noxin

Florida is cheaper. Requires no class (Other than the one you already took to get your MA LTC), and issue time is about the same or less, and covers almost all the same states except PA and one other (i think).

Had my FL about 5 weeks after submission, and yes whatever class you have from here is likely good for that. If you happen to be in FL you can make at appointment at one of their licensing centers and they do the app., prints and photo electronically. Also, at every gun show they have a class for $60 that would qualify you, notarized the app., do fingerprint card and passport photo, all ready to mail in.

BTW, PA is easy, they issue on the spot. If you're passing through, stop in The Armstrong County Courthouse, in Kittanning. About a half hour south of I-80 northeast of Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
How far west are we talking?

Locked in a case in the trunk, and do not stop in New York, New Jersey, or now Connecticut. Do not speed or give any reason to be pulled over and you will be fine. If it helps your peace of mind Google and print the text of FOPA "Firearm Owner Protection Act" to have on your person for this journey.

Also, ensure that your final destination is firearm friendly and that your permits are reciprocal.

very good advice.
Only thing i would add is unloaded and ammo in separate container just to be on safe side.

very good advice.
Only thing i would add is unloaded and ammo in separate container just to be on safe side.

REQUIRED to comply with FOPA. Locked ammo container if no trunk in vehicle. That's what the law requires. Read it, print it out and abide by it 100% and you shouldn't have any trouble.

REQUIRED to comply with FOPA. Locked ammo container if no trunk in vehicle. That's what the law requires. Read it, print it out and abide by it 100% and you shouldn't have any trouble.
Yup. Keep a copy handy in your glove box. I'll be riding my motorcycle cross country in a few weeks. In the 3 states where I don't have reciprocity, my Glock will be in one locked pannier and the mags will be in the other.

[h=1]18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms[/h]Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Reference: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

I go hunting in CO every year now. I lock it all up, fopa style, throw some shit on top so a cop can not see it, drive down 84, do the speed limit in CT and the short stretch of NY until I get into PA. Head thru Scranton, and then west....for a shit load of time.

Stoping in Kentucky for a bourbon run is nice. So is bbq in tennesee and Memphis especially. Steaks in Oklahoma city nice. Its just around here you are screwed.

(Also, stay away from Chicago...just on priniciples)

Stoping in Kentucky for a bourbon run is nice. So is bbq in tennesee and Memphis especially. Steaks in Oklahoma city nice. Its just around here you are screwed.
I'm planning on seeing a friend in Nashville on the way. Looking forward to some good BBQ while I'm down there [smile]

South Carolina for some reason.

I'm doing a motorcycle tour down to the Dragon, doing part of the Trail of Tears, Nashville and a few other key spots. I may have to get both Utah and Florida to cover every state we'll visit.

Back
Top Bottom