• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Driving around Mass with your ALP LTC-A

I'm moving to MA in January and so in addition to studying the state gun laws seemingly for weeks I've also downloaded the comm2a list of cities that do and don't hand our ALP LTC-A in a predictable fashion.

I have no criminal record, no DUI, US Army Officer w/honorable discharge, etc., etc., so if I do all the forms and move to the right city and apply there, I am hoping for the best.

If we skip over the issue of what other states accept MA LTC, I'm still confused about the circumstances and locations within the state you would be able to carry.

I know you can't enter public buildings like courtrooms and post offices and where otherwise posted, but after that ...

In your car: If I'm licensed in Wilbraham, I'm fine there, but it's right next to Springfield and Longmeadow, where Chiefs don't approve of much of anything. If I'm going to be strolling thru those towns, do I have to go home first and lock my firearm up there?

Can I even drive thru unfriendly communities with a concealed firearm if I don't stop, or do you have to stop before entering them, unload and lock stuff in the trunk?

I use these cities as examples because my wife has a big new job at Baystate Medical Center in Springfield and she refuses to consider commuting from New Hampshire, even though she'd save $26,000 in state income taxes ...

I'm moving from Rhode Island so I'm a reasonable drive from Basic and CCW1 firearms training in MA, which I'll be planning to do in the next couple of months.

One of the last things I'm trying to figure out is whether I can get an early start on the process by completing the FA-25/26 even before we've bought the house, and then let the Chief sprinkle his blessing on it after the fact. Alternatively, would I be as well or better served to apply for a non-resident LTC and then re-apply / upgrade once the sale on the house goes thru?

Approvals in some places are taking up a long time and even running over the 60 day move-in grace period. I'd love to get out in front of that if I could.

So long as you get a LTC-A unrestricted you can carry in any of the 351 cities/towns in the commonwealth. Get Target & Hunting? No concealed carry.

I use these cities as examples because my wife has a big new job at Baystate Medical Center in Springfield and she refuses to consider commuting from New Hampshire, even though she'd save $26,000 in state income taxes ...

A cool half million/year. Thanks, Obamacare!

My health insurance premiums just went up 18% to $16,350/year. And I never go to the Doctor.

Congrats on being on the right end of this deal. [grin]

Aren't restrictions the most ****ed up thing in MA???

My cousin can't get ALP in Springfield and hence can't carry in the shit hole city he lives in. I live one town over and have ALP and am perfectly legal to carry anywhere (legally of course) in the city he lives in!!!

So long as you get a LTC-A unrestricted you can carry in any of the 351 cities/towns in the commonwealth. Get Target & Hunting? No concealed carry.
The "biggie" in terms of prohibited places is the building or grounds of any school or college unless you have permission from the school. (hint: If the mere fact that you are visiting the campus doesn't rate a press release, you're not getting permission).

Since you have $500,000 in annual income (based on $26,000 income tax at 5.2%), you can afford both a decent course (you'll need one to get your license) and an office consult with a decent gun attorney.

Since you have $500,000 in annual income (based on $26,000 income tax at 5.2%), you can afford both a decent course (you'll need one to get your license) and an office consult with a decent gun attorney.

No, I think his wife alone makes the half mil. He's very proud of her. As he should be.

Aren't restrictions the most ****ed up thing in MA???

My cousin can't get ALP in Springfield and hence can't carry in the shit hole city he lives in. I live one town over and have ALP and am perfectly legal to carry anywhere (legally of course) in the city he lives in!!!
Agreed. ****ed up.

OP
Pull one of these, LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
my wife has a big new job at Baystate Medical Center in Springfield and she refuses to consider commuting from New Hampshire, even though she'd save $26,000 in state income taxes ...

Sorry, it doesn't work that way.
If she works in Mass, she still has to pay state income tax to Mass on whatever percentage of her income is actually earned there, no matter what state she claims as her residence.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way.
If she works in Mass, she still has to pay state income tax to Mass on whatever percentage of her income is actually earned there, no matter what state she claims as her residence.

My wife works in ct and every year we get back all of the excess that we don't pay to ma. Not sure on the actual percentage though. It all comes out at the end of the year.

If your looking for a gun friendly city around springfield look into buying a house on the out skerts of holyoke.
I live in holyoke and it was very very easy to get my class a ltc. No letter of recommendation needed. The chief feels if the state says your ok then he doseint have a problum with it plus there is a locual gun range (holyoke revolver) with a 24hr indoor pistol range. Iv lived in the city for 5 years now and never hade a problum. Cops are very friendly and most welcome a friendly conversation abut firearms at least the ones iv spoken to where

This is complete B.S. without pics either of the W-2 (which would be sexy enough) or the wife, which we dont even know if she exists. /sarcasm

My wife works in ct and every year we get back all of the excess that we don't pay to ma. Not sure on the actual percentage though. It all comes out at the end of the year.

If you are a full time resident of another state, I believe you get a credit for taxes paid in your state of residence - so a non-MA resident will pay the greater of their home state income tax or MA income tax.

If you only work in MA part of the year, you only owe MA taxes on what you earned in MA. I know a "work from home" type who put an occasional day on-site in the MA office of his employer. He keeps a daily log of his work activities.

I know you can't enter public buildings like courtrooms and post offices and where otherwise posted, but after that ...

You can indeed carry in an establishment that is posted "no guns allowed". There is no binding signage in MA. That is the owners policy, and you can not be charged with a crime. You probably will be asked to leave, and if you refuse, could be arrested for trespassing.

Remember: concealed is concealed.

Care to comment on the math of this? Congrats in order if it's right, even though if you work here, you pay here no matter where you live.

If you don't get your LTC in time, hire security. On 500k/year plus whatever you earn, you should be able to afford it.

There seems to be A LOT of bs being thrown around regarding income taxes. Seems most of these people go to H&R Block or have someone do their taxes and just look at the size of their return with no idea how or what happened. Then they make some stuff up.

If you have a job in MA, you pay MA income tax. The tax is on your salary, which is paid by a MA company, and taxes are withheld from that. It is literally called "state income tax", ie, tax on the income you received in a state.

So you moving to NH or staying in RI or whatever would not have a $26k reduction on your state income taxes, and that number is laughable. Considering most of your tax is Federal, paying $26k in state tax would make you rich enough that you'd actually have a clue what you are talking about. This thread has made me dumber.

PS - I know what I am talking about because I will be working remotely soon from AZ, and I will still be paying MA state income tax on my wages. Nothing will change. A 5 minute check on the Internet told me this, as did my common sense.

Then she should pay for his class and legal consult.

That's going to be a "moving expense" I insist she covers. [grin]

I make a modest income myself that will when combined put us in the ballpark of the income suggested earlier. She gives 8-10 percent of her income to charity, and that lowers the tax burden some ...

welcome to Mass, it's not as bad as everyone says it is, at least not all the time

good luck with your LTC, definitely move to a green town.

the fact you can get a LTC with no restrictions in one town but denied in another, then anyone with said LTC can carry in the town that rejects or restricts, is one of the most idiotic things ever and goes to show the insanity of "suitability" in general

Nothing will change. A 5 minute check on the Internet told me this, as did my common sense.

It seems I was misinformed. Since the work I do involves telecommuting exclusively, what I said would have been correct for me but not her. It's easy to be misinformed when the laws vary widely on state commuting tax and city commuting tax ...

http://www.robertsandholland.com/news-page?itemid=87

The MA "Schedule Y" deductions provide for some commuter tax relief, but are tiny compared to the overall income earned, so hardly worth it.

dvajda: The good news is that my level of ignorance has now been adjusted. What you need to learn is that it is possible to correct someone without being mean spirited in the process. If you eliminate the vitriol from your post, perhaps including a link to the tax code, it would have been much shorter and just as informative. The problem with people who answer questions with a flamethrower is that they enjoy their "work".

It seems I was misinformed. Since the work I do involves telecommuting exclusively, what I said would have been correct for me but not her. It's easy to be misinformed when the laws vary widely on state commuting tax and city commuting tax ...

http://www.robertsandholland.com/news-page?itemid=87

The MA "Schedule Y" deductions provide for some commuter tax relief, but are tiny compared to the overall income earned, so hardly worth it.

dvajda: The good news is that my level of ignorance has now been adjusted. What you need to learn is that it is possible to correct someone without being mean spirited in the process. If you eliminate the vitriol from your post, perhaps including a link to the tax code, it would have been much shorter and just as informative. The problem with people who answer questions with a flamethrower is that they enjoy their "work".

NES is not known as the kinder, gentler gun forum. Suggestion: Laugh and don't get all butthurt if someone here dings you, things here will go a lot easier.

Welcome to the people's republic of assachusetts. It's the cradle of liberty, soon to be the grave.

Is the wife a hot blonde, and do you own a Lambo?

[laugh2]

While we're both "pushing 60" I still call her my "gorgeous babe". While she was never blonde she's always looked better than me, hands down. She works at it, and I do not.

We own cars that are paid for (2005 Subaru, 2007 Passat, 1996 F-150), but I think with the new position there will be some upgrade in that regard ...

We've had fierce arguments about moving to the PRMA. I hate the idea, primarily because of the gun laws. The Army needed my fingerprints so that if I got my head blown off in service of my country, they could still identify my rotting corpse if there were still a finger or two left.

PRMA has no legitimate need for them so far as I'm concerned. We're all just common criminals as far as the PRMA central government is concerned, and they just love imposing the humiliating process of fingerprinting upon us, even when the government still has mine on file somewhere. That information is NEVER deleted.

The consolation prize for me is that I get to stay home all day with three Golden Retrievers and my time is largely my own. I just hope I die before the gun grabbers use their lists to show up at my doorstep demanding to confiscate everything I have "just 'cuz". As I understand it, they can fail to renew your LTC/FID or whatever for just about any reason, and then you instantly become a felon just for having moved to PRMA.

http://www.yakov.com/

In the immortal words of Yakov Smirnoff ...

"What a country!"

Back
Top Bottom