Driver taking son to daycare shoots himself during road rage incident

Agreed. There are four rules that need to be followed: (1) Gun is always loaded, (2) Don't put finger on trigger unless you are about to pull it, (3) Be sure of target and what is beyond it (4) Don't point muzzle at anything unless you intend to destroy it. Pretty basic but extremely important.

As for unloading my firearms when not in use. Well that's kind of like not putting batteries in your smoke detector while not in use. Also, I like to modify my guns.
This.

That is the list I will pass to my son. That is the list I always got hammered into my head. That's the list I use to evaluate my safety while observing others at a range.

TRPC had an abbreviated version in their club rules which I also try and hold to. Sometimes the four rules are too hard.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

9. Don't Alter Or Modify Your Gun, And Have Guns Serviced Regularly

I haven't had my "gun" serviced on a regular basis for years![rofl]

I service mine regularly: By shooting them at the ****ing range. That is the most absurd list of gun safety rules I've ever seen. In fact, it surpasses the list found in most new gun manuals. Wait, that list comes straight from the Remington service manual. rofl

9. Don't Alter Or Modify Your Gun, And Have Guns Serviced Regularly

I haven't had my "gun" serviced on a regular basis for years![rofl]

I am not making this a personal reply to you but just useing your post to continue with the subject.

I go through life with the idea I may help our cause by talking gun safety when it comes up. We are not all the same and our lives are much different. I have had a gun since I was 9 and shooting has been my main hobby. I am a life member of our gun club that has 2600 members and was an RO for 15 years.

If a man trains with a firearm enough to be good then the firearm has wear enough to need parts replacement, the 17 to 18# spring in a 1911 should be replaced about every 1,000 rounds after full loads are used in training. At 10,000 rounds the normal barrel wears out. A firearm should be serviced if you really shoot, those who don't train have no need to service their firearm.

10k rounds out of a handgun barrel before replacing? Why so little? Maybe check it at 30k, but auto replace at 10k? Rifle like .223, sure 10k is a good number to think about it based on accuracy.

This is what some of us are talking about. You're just making things up and calling it "safety".

I service mine regularly: By shooting them at the ****ing range. That is the most absurd list of gun safety rules I've ever seen. In fact, it surpasses the list found in most new gun manuals. Wait, that list comes straight from the Remington service manual. rofl

I think you are missing the double entendre.
dou·ble en·ten·dre
ˌdo͞obl änˈtändrə,ˌdəbl änˈtändrə/
noun
a word or phrase open to two interpretations, one of which is usually risqué or indecent.
synonyms: ambiguity, double meaning, innuendo, play on words
"much of the comedy is derived from racy double entendres"
humor using double entendres.

I think you are missing the double entendre.
dou·ble en·ten·dre
ˌdo͞obl änˈtändrə,ˌdəbl änˈtändrə/
noun
a word or phrase open to two interpretations, one of which is usually risqué or indecent.
synonyms: ambiguity, double meaning, innuendo, play on words
"much of the comedy is derived from racy double entendres"
humor using double entendres.

[thinking]

10k rounds out of a handgun barrel before replacing? Why so little? Maybe check it at 30k, but auto replace at 10k? Rifle like .223, sure 10k is a good number to think about it based on accuracy.

This is what some of us are talking about. You're just making things up and calling it "safety".

Sometime read the old military maintenence manual on the 1911. When the 1911 went through the military test they used means rounds before failure and it isn't just the rifling that fails on a handgun. Everything from locking lugs to the barrel bushing wears plus the frames pean or crack. There are a hell of a lot of things that wear out in a gun that is used. Just because you don't know something it doesn't mean what is being said is made up. You guys calling me a liar just put me on ignore and you won't have my sh!t to read. Why do you seek to argue?

Not everyone has the common sense or expearience with guns, rules are set up to help those growing in the use of firearms. I didn't make the rules but have full understanding of them because as a young shooter I too couldn't understand them. Growing up they make full sense. Idiot who shot himself probably figured he didn't need to learn gun handleing.

[laugh] personally it doesn't matter to me how you handle your firearms as long as I don't have to shoot on the same range. What accidents do is give the anti reasons to steal your guns, you make your own world.

Who actually abides by rule #2?

I consider my handguns in use at all times. So on my hip or in my safe they are in use as I never know when my only option is to get to the safe to get a gun. if I have to...they are ready to go. Not all of my rifles in my safe are loaded. Only I know which ones are and which are not...

Sometime read the old military maintenence manual on the 1911. When the 1911 went through the military test they used means rounds before failure and it isn't just the rifling that fails on a handgun. Everything from locking lugs to the barrel bushing wears plus the frames pean or crack. There are a hell of a lot of things that wear out in a gun that is used. Just because you don't know something it doesn't mean what is being said is made up. You guys calling me a liar just put me on ignore and you won't have my sh!t to read. Why do you seek to argue?

Not everyone has the common sense or expearience with guns, rules are set up to help those growing in the use of firearms. I didn't make the rules but have full understanding of them because as a young shooter I too couldn't understand them. Growing up they make full sense. Idiot who shot himself probably figured he didn't need to learn gun handleing.

[laugh] personally it doesn't matter to me how you handle your firearms as long as I don't have to shoot on the same range. What accidents do is give the anti reasons to steal your guns, you make your own world.

I'm just a guy with more than 10k rounds through multiple handguns and 35k through one of them. What would I know.

It's not 1911 anymore.

I'm not saying I ignore being safe. I'm simply saying when people get shot, like this dude shooting himself in the leg, it's because a gun was pointed at them. You can being stupid/negligent in every way except muzzle control and no one gets hurt.

Last edited:
I'm just a guy with more than 10k rounds through multiple handguns and 35k through one of them. What would I know.

It's not 1911 anymore.

I used a common gun as an example, every gun has a different rate of wear. Few people know how many rounds their gun was designed for before failure. Military test failures, people can't afford it. Most people cant afford to shoot a gun to failure. 35k through one gun, what all have you changed during all those rounds?

I used a common gun as an example, every gun has a different rate of wear. Few people know how many rounds their gun was designed for before failure. Military test failures, people can't afford it. Most people cant afford to shoot a gun to failure. 35k through one gun, what all have you changed during all those rounds?

Nothing. M&P9. I might have cleaned it twice.

I have 12k through my G34, nothing done but a couple drops of lube.

There's people on this forum with 30k+ rounds through Glocks with zero, and I mean zero care. Not even oil.

I think a guy in my last class said he had 60k through his G34.

Nothing. M&P9. I might have cleaned it twice.

I have 12k through my G34, nothing done but a couple drops of lube.

There's people on this forum with 30k+ rounds through Glocks with zero, and I mean zero care. Not even oil.

I think a guy in my last class said he had 60k through his G34.

I have read guys getting well over 100,000 rounds through a Glock 17 and read also about glock blow ups. I carry a Glock and the only maintenence I feel I must do is change the magazine springs and the recoil spring. I do graphite grease some areas that show wear.. I read that glock forties are pounding the pins so bad that there have been failures causing agencies to change to 9mm. I inspect my guns at every cleaning.

I wasn't really trying to be a crazy grenade thrower with those 10 rules, it was the first thing I found when I was looking for gun safety rules.

The link doesn't really give a good indication of who the aggressor was in this case, but someone got shot and he shouldn't have.

Scenarios like this are interesting to me, crap happens, but why was a guy with a two year old kid in the car pulling a gun instead of de-escalating the incident? The story is so weak, you will never know what really happened.

What would have happened if the other guy had opened fire? And for me, a question I never have considered is, would I ever fire into a car if there were kids in the car when confronted with a firearm? I am not a bad shot, but I am not Jerry Miculek either. Firing to stop the attack might not have all rounds on target.

A person who fires into a car with kids in it (right or wrong) will end up being the bad guy almost every time.

That is why I think that link is relevant. Gives a person a chance to decide how it would have gone down if it was them. And maybe consider how to keep from shooting yourself in the leg.

Even the best guys can have a brain fart that hurts. One of our IPSC shooters practiced at home a lot, shot two fingers off press checking his gun to see if it was loaded.

A well fitted 1911 will run a long time without damage to the frame or barrel. I had a custom with 50K plus that was still tight and very accurate with little wear, the barrel was getting slow, but it would stack shots. I had a stock 1911 go 60K, was pretty loose but it ran, no abnormal wear, barrel was still accurate. And I have seen guns bash themselves apart in 5k...I'm looking at you kimber

A well fitted 1911 will run a long time without damage to the frame or barrel. I had a custom with 50K plus that was still tight and very accurate with little wear, the barrel was getting slow, but it would stack shots. I had a stock 1911 go 60K, was pretty loose but it ran, no abnormal wear, barrel was still accurate. And I have seen guns bash themselves apart in 5k...I'm looking at you kimber

Seen all kinds of failures in my lifetime, metal working under pressure wears out. Or there is the guy who thinks he can do his own action job and takes the surface hardness off the parts causeing a failure. Or the guy who carries a Glock and gets his shirt inside the trigger guard as he holsters and the gun goes off. Or the idiot who didn't know how to load a ruger single action and blew his own leg off with a saddle stirrup hitting the hammer.Guns are machinery, you have good machines and bad machines, good machine operators and bad operators and guys who wouldn't be safe with a toy car much less a gun.

Back
Top Bottom