Driver disarms gunman in Newton road rage incident

From Boston.com: Driver disarms gunman in Newton road rage incident - Newton - Your Town - Boston.com

A driver in Newton defused a road-rage incident Thursday with some calm talk and martial arts skills, disarming the other driver who had a gun, police said. Police did not release the name of the driver who wrestled the gun away. The driver who had the gun was arrested and identified by police as 21-year-old Byung Jin Kang, of Newton.

Kang was scheduled to be charged Friday morning in Newton District Court with assault with a firearm and unlawful carrying of a firearm, said Lieutenant Bruce Apotheker, Newton police spokesman. According to authorities, Kang was following the other driver closely on Greenwood Street. The other driver pulled his car over and Kang stopped behind him, Apotheker said. Both drivers got out of their cars, Apotheker said, and Kang pulled out a handgun. The other driver talked to Kang about putting the gun away. The driver then forced Kang to the ground and took the gun, Apotheker said. Kang fled and the other driver called police. Kang was stopped and arrested nearby, Apotheker said.

Unlawful carrying of a firearm? Does that mean that he had a LTC but was restricted, or oh my goodness was he carrying an illegally owned firearm? Aren't there laws preventing this, how was he able to do that? So are we going to hear some garbled up speech about how the city is safe, or did speech impediment menino die?

Charles.

Well, he didn't get to keep his LTC too long. He must not even had it for 6 months, since he is 21. He probably applied on his birthday, and then it took a few weeks/months to get. Must be a record in time it took to get a LTC, and then get it revoked.

I can tell you he didn't have an unrestricted LTC-A because he lived in Newton. That police department gave me the run around when applying for an FID, never mind an LTC.

Sawed off handgun??

That's media-speak way of saying "I have no idea wtf kind of gun it is, but let's call it something really effin' scary."

- - - Updated - - -

I can tell you he didn't have an unrestricted LTC-A because he lived in Newton. That police department gave me the run around when applying for an FID, never mind an LTC.

This could have been your Chief in Newton:

[video=youtube_share;kdqWI8HCNf8]http://youtu.be/kdqWI8HCNf8[/video]

"unlicensed sawed off .32 caliber revolver with five bullets in the magazine" ???????????????????? I'd like to see that firearm. Sounds like Steam-punk.

What the suspect didn’t realize was the victim is a professional mixed martial arts expert and wrestled 21-year-old Byung Gin Kang to the ground, grabbed the gun and held onto it.

I guess the victim had an LTC for clearly Newton would have arrested him too for unlawful possession.

and

never bring a sawed off magazine fed .32 caliber revolver to a mixed martial arts fight

he ran into chuck norris
images

I would love to see photos of this alleged "sawed off .32 caliber revolver with five bullets in the magazine."

Any chance the disarm went like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they meant "Sawed-Off High-Capacity Magazine-Fed Fully-Automatic .32 Caliber ASSAULT Revolver".

Now THAT'S scary !

- - - Updated - - -

I would love to see photos of this alleged "sawed off .32 caliber revolver with five bullets in the magazine."

4010954-isolated-rusty-obsolete-vintage-firearm-revolver-white-background.jpg

Unlawful carrying of a firearm? Does that mean that he had a LTC but was restricted, or oh my goodness was he carrying an illegally owned firearm?

It means he had no license at all. Even carrying against a restriction is only a slap on the wrist compared to what this guy was charged with.

-Mike

I didn't know about this until recently, but one item that is buried in either the Patrick or Linsky bill (not sure which) is a suitability standard for FIDs.

Back
Top Bottom