• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Drive to CMP

imgone

NES Member
Well Wednesday morning at 6:00AM I started my 1500 mile round trip to the CMP north store. I have been out there many times, but usually stay a week and vacation. But with everything shut down due to the virus I didn't. I got a room for the night, and was at the store Thursday morning for my 8:30 appointment ( First of the day ). Picked out what a wanted and was on the road home at 9:45.
The racks where full with 1903's, 1903A3's, 1917's, Krags, and Garands. I was after a nice 1903, got a 1929 dated one in an original barrel with nice readings. The tags on the 1903's all said dark bore, everyone I looked at was bright and shiny. bob the armor said the guy grading them in Anniston must of had welding glasses on. Also grabbed a Winchester, and an PS IHC, both with good barrel readings and GI wood. IMG_1026.jpeg IMG_1026.jpeg IMG_1032.jpeg
IMG_1026.jpeg
IMG_1032.jpeg IMG_1049.jpeg IMG_1050.jpeg IMG_1050.jpeg IMG_1026.jpeg IMG_1032.jpeg IMG_1049.jpeg IMG_1050.jpeg IMG_1058.jpeg IMG_1053.jpeg IMG_1055.jpeg IMG_1055.jpeg

You need to meet the same criteria as mail order, proof of US citizenship ( birth cert or one of the new real ID's) belong to a CMP sanctioned gun club or organization ( join GCA online $25) and show proof of marksmanship, ( a LTC, a cert from a hunters course,).

Are those new CMP rifle cases that rifles are being shipped in, or an upgraded case that you purchased separately???

Thank you for your reply and your commitment to Historic Firearms!
~Enbloc

OP NICE!!!
I drove to the south store last November. Going to the store is the only way to do it. I got to talk with the armorer who inspected 2 of my rifles, help me pick out the other two, including going out back to find a IH Garand (what I was looking for).

Maybe I'll go north next time, do they has a range up north? The CMP Marksmanship Center is great, and my next trip will include much more time there.

OP NICE!!!
I drove to the south store last November. Going to the store is the only way to do it. I got to talk with the armorer who inspected 2 of my rifles, help me pick out the other two, including going out back to find a IH Garand (what I was looking for).

Maybe I'll go north next time, do they has a range up north? The CMP Marksmanship Center is great, and my next trip will include much more time there.
It is on Camp Perry the OHIO National Guard base, there are 1000 yard ranges there. But you can't use them sadly. If you go in July the national CMP matches are going on, tons of vendors there.

There's no pricing online for those makes and grades you got, that's my question.
CMP stores often have more items in store vs what they are willing to sell on line because of sparse inventory
There are many VFWs turning in rifles these days I think especially older rifles. I noticed in the 4th of july parades over the years less and less actual rifles and ceremonial (blank) shots fired.

Back
Top Bottom