1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Drinkin' Kanar with Damar

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by C. Stockwell, Sep 12, 2019.

1. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell NES Member

After making my high octane, Everclear-laced Romulan Ale, and re-watching DS9 on Amazon, I want to now try creating a kanar cocktail.

Star Trek lore, both including episodes and books written by the actor who played Garak, state that kanar is either clear, electric blue, tan, or a black/purple treacle and has a bitter-sweet taste. The black/purple color gets the most attention I think in DS9 because its what Damar drinks heavily at the end of the show when he's in charge of Cardassia.

Kanar

I'm thinking this would be a good base for a black treacle kanar clone:

Riga Black Balsam: Traditional Latvian Herbal Liqueur Since 1752

[​IMG]

Romulan Ale Recipe

[​IMG]

2. BBQ.Uncle

BBQ.Uncle NES Life Member NES Member

3. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

4. Shotgun Scully

Shotgun Scully

How has this forum gotten to this point?

nstassel and mwalsh9152 like this.
  5. Twigg

Twigg NES Member

Drunk posting ?

6. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Twigg likes this.
  7. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell NES Member

Ordered a bottle of the Riga Black Balsam liqueur. At 90 proof, it might be able to suffice all by itself as a kanar replica. But I'll see what it tastes like and if I need to add anything.

8. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Add some absinthe.

9. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell NES Member

Got the Riga Black Balsam today.

First, what the hell is Riga Black Balsam?

"Balsam" is a herbal liqueur of about 80 to 90 proof. Short answer is this is 90-proof Latvian Jaegermeister. Long answer is this is a Latvian liqueur that's been in production since 1752, with a blip around the end of WW2 due to a combination of murder during the war and the Baltic German emigration during the final stages of the war. Supposedly former employees of the distillery got the plant up and running after the war when they tested various herbs to make a faithful reproduction. Riga Black Balsam has been in the US since last year and seems to be trying to make a mark in the craft bartending market. The liqueur comes in an actual clay bottle, similar to what Bols bottles used to come in during days gone past. You could really do a number on someone with one of these bottles. The distiller recommend drinking the liqueur straight, in a cocktail, or in a "long drink," which is basically the northern European version of a Tom Collins or a G+T or a Lynchburg Lemonade.

Second, what does this taste like?

Alien to an American palate. Smells of liquor (strong liquor smell, like sniffing vodka) and plums or maybe brandied cherries. Tastes like plums, dark chocolate, nuts (almond?), and pine sap or pine resin. Definitely an acquired taste. Heavy, syrupy, viscous. The alcohol flavor doesn't bleed through to the taste. The alcohol smell may have been because of the glass I had the liqueur in. There's something that reminds me of bourbon in this.

Third, does this replicate kanar?

Yes. Kanar is supposed to be syrupy, funky to disgusting to the human palate, and strong. Riga Black Balsam checks all the boxes. I don't know if this needs to be mixed with anything else in order to replicate kanar. Adding clear liquor would literally just make it taste worse - vodka would just taste more like booze and gin would just turn this into a Christmas tree bomb. Bols or another genever would... be... interesting? I don't see any point in adding brown liquor. The only thing I might add to this would be fruit juice and maybe seltzer/mineral water.

I would recommend drinking Riga Black Balsam as an aperitif. It really opens up the nostrils and encourages the appetite.

10. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

This sounds like it would make a perfect mule. A good back strap rum should work as well, but I want to try some of this one day.

Straight sounds like kanar should.

C. Stockwell likes this.
  11. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell NES Member

Now that you mention a mule, I could see this with ginger beer. I'll try adding some of my Widow's Walk, black strap rum to this over the weekend.

12. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell NES Member

I tried the Black Balsam with two kinds of rum, a clear 135-proof black strap rum and Gosling's 151. Neither go very well with the Black Balsam.

However, the Black Balsam goes very well with fresh, "real" apple cider from a local orchard. The cider adds a refreshing, apple sweetness to the bitter liqueur. I haven't tried adding lemon or lime juice to the Black Balsam but I might tomorrow with some Perrier and Peychaud's in a long drink.