• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Drawing Attention Away From Your Concealed Carry Gun

I am very law abiding.

But I am 100% certain I could have ANKLE-CARRIED many places that prohibit weapons.

The Screeners simply do not want to bend over with their wands.

But - I have no idea if Stationary Panels would have caught me.

Like I said, I am very law abiding.

The apex predator is an apex predator because he’s good at choosing targets.

If he sees my carry piece, he goes after somebody else.

IMO an Apex Predator sees a goof carrying a gun. He think to himself, after I roll this dude I get his wallet.. and a gun. Just guessing though.

Meh he might as well have said "Wear a pu**y hat and then no one will suspect I was armed because they were all staring at the hat". If the guy who wrote this doesn't want to get rolled for his boom stick from the legendary 'apex predator' imo don't look like a hardo or some kind of plain clothes tactical operator.

That t-shirt was a bright color??? Damn. He should come to my house. I'll find him some nice contrasting, bright clothing to keep the eye away from your belt-buckle.

Otherwise, some good "fashion" info on concealment. Although I live in a world where wearing a hoodie is not going to cut it for me. Given my desire to not look like a slob 90% of the time, I'm working on moving back to a 4-5 o'clock position for concealment.

I guess the guy does make a few decent points. But he starts off by saying he is worried about the "Apex predator"...... Every Apex Predator out there knows that a person wearing a hoodie is at a serious disadvantage if they can get a hold of that hoodie and pull it over his head like in a hockey fight. So the guy wears an article of clothing that helps conceal something literally no one is looking at but the same article of clothing puts him at a physical disadvantage if he gets into a hands-on situation... So if any of you are going to follow this advice just know that that same hoodie can be THE reason you get whooped in a physical fight.

The distracting clothing advice might be helpful for appendix carry but I think the most likely scenario is someone noticing your carry gun on your hip while staring at you from behind.

I carry my phone in a horizontal belt holster just in from of my IWB holstered P320 Subcompact. The phone creates a bulge in the shirt that is obviously a phone. This actually hides the IWB holster much better.
When I add a P365 to my locker, the profile will be even lower.

I guess the guy does make a few decent points. But he starts off by saying he is worried about the "Apex predator"...... Every Apex Predator out there knows that a person wearing a hoodie is at a serious disadvantage if they can get a hold of that hoodie and pull it over his head like in a hockey fight. So the guy wears an article of clothing that helps conceal something literally no one is looking at but the same article of clothing puts him at a physical disadvantage if he gets into a hands-on situation... So if any of you are going to follow this advice just know that that same hoodie can be THE reason you get whooped in a physical fight.

I’m acutely aware of the disadvantage when I wear a hoodie. But screw it, they’re comfortable. I’ll take the risk.

But the Same goes for nose rings and ear rings. And even nipple rings.

Ran into a tough guy a few years ago at the beach. Somehow the conversation came around to fighting. And he started bragging about his martial arts background. I just looked at him and said ‘I know karate and 7 other Japanese words. But I think you’d be in a bit of pain after I ripped your earrings and nose ring out.”

I’m too old for fist fighting though.

He does know that. He was my ground fighting instructor for 3 years when I lived in Ohio. You can do the same thing with an untucked t-shirt and I think it was one of his classes we practiced getting out of that.

I know it's the NES thing to do to sh!t all over people and find fault with whatever advice they give because we all know everything better than everyone else.

For what it's worth he's a good guy who has a genuine interest in people being able to defend themselves. He has a lot of experience teaching self defense and probably still takes a ton of classes on his own. He's not a keyboard commando just spouting off stuff to get a few minutes of attention.
Like any advice take what works for you in your situation and comfort level. He would probably tell you the same thing.

I have a Thunder Wear Holster that I bought years ago. I can't wear it with regular pants, but with overalls it's perfect. I could carry two G21's undetected as long as I'm standing up, when I sit down they stab me in the leg. I always carry "Hot" with my OWB Blackhawk Holster but not with that Thunder Wear Holster. I'm not sure where my finger is going, don't want to shoot my pecker off.

He does know that. He was my ground fighting instructor for 3 years when I lived in Ohio. You can do the same thing with an untucked t-shirt and I think it was one of his classes we practiced getting out of that.

I know it's the NES thing to do to sh!t all over people and find fault with whatever advice they give because we all know everything better than everyone else.

For what it's worth he's a good guy who has a genuine interest in people being able to defend themselves. He has a lot of experience teaching self defense and probably still takes a ton of classes on his own. He's not a keyboard commando just spouting off stuff to get a few minutes of attention.
Like any advice take what works for you in your situation and comfort level. He would probably tell you the same thing.

Yeah, that's great and all, but if he is recommending an article of clothing to people specifically for personal protection purposes he SHOULD inform those people of any negatives that same article of clothing has. At least so the people that take his advice are aware of their new disadvantage because of his recommendation.

I frequently wear hoodies, and I always make a mental note to be ready to take it off quickly if I'm able to.

But yeah, the guy who walks around in a unicorn/grim reaper shirt does make some decent points, as I stated in my initial post.

The concerns of an undercover cop are very different from the concerns of Joe Schmo suburban guy (JSSG). An undercover cop deliberately goes to shady places at 0-dark-30 to hang out with shady people. As a JSSG, I don’t go to those places, ever. I’m home in bed at that time. I avoid shady people.

My goal is to be the grey man that people don’t notice. I don’t want to wear some clothing that will attract someone’s eye in the misguided notion that that will distract them from my carry gun that they didn’t notice.

The chance of my running into an “apex predator” [rolleyes] is slim to none, precisely because I don’t go to bad places at late hours to hang out with shady people.

Could I have the misfortune to run into some super bad dude? Sure. But I’m far more likely to run into some punk at the mall.

Don’t dress to draw attention to yourself.

Last edited:
I have a Thunder Wear Holster that I bought years ago. I can't wear it with regular pants, but with overalls it's perfect. I could carry two G21's undetected as long as I'm standing up, when I sit down they stab me in the leg. I always carry "Hot" with my OWB Blackhawk Holster but not with that Thunder Wear Holster. I'm not sure where my finger is going, don't want to shoot my pecker off.

I tried Thunder wear back in the day, but I got tired of my wife asking me if I was "wearing my diapa". FYI: there is no market for a used Thunder wear Holster.

As some other posters have noted, the OP is not the author of the content in the first post of this thread. If you click on the link, you will see that the post is largely a copy of an article from another site.

As people are responding to this thread, I see that lots of people are treating this article as though it was written by one of our less competent NES members. I wonder if opinions would be changed from knowing that the article was actually written by a very experienced law enforcement officer and trainer, who is widely known and respected in the tactical community.

It still reads like it was designed to sell books or something, or some kind of filler material and not necessarily must-know practical advice.

Massad Ayoob has a lot of similar type diatribes but not necessarily about the same thing. It's not that some of these people don't have valuable insight etc
it's just that some of it is likely highly overrated or has a fluff/hyperbole factor to it. The author here makes it sound like there's a gang of people running around looking for people carrying guns to ambush, but doesn't seem to indicate the actual probability of such things is pretty low in most environments.

Not to mention, have you actually seen how difficult it is to detect people carrying? And most people even with what I would call modest concealment are still
pretty tough to detect. Most people aren't walking down the street full OWB with a full blown, full sized gun imprint under their shirt....

IMHO the people that are carrying that give themselves away, it's more likely through other stuff, like fondling/touching the gun, acting twitchy, etc. That's a bigger problem than someone blowing concealment through a print.

Also the author makes it sound like there's some gang of thugs running around waiting to rob people of concealed weapons, and that just sounds
kind of absurd on its face... if you had the ability to know who was armed, wouldn't you want to rob the people that you knew were NOT armed?

-Mike

Last edited:
The concerns of an undercover cop are very different from the concerns of Joe Schmo suburban guy (JSSG). An undercover cop deliberately goes to shady places at 0-dark-30 to hang out with shady people. As a JSSG, I don’t go to those places, ever. I’m home in bed at that time. I avoid shady people.

My goal is to be the grey man that people don’t notice. I don’t want to wear some clothing that will attract someone’s eye in the misguided notion that that will distract them from my carry gun that they didn’t notice.

The chance of my running into an “apex predator” [rolleyes] is slim to none, precisely because I don’t go to bad places at late hours to hang out with shady people.

Could I have the misfortune to run into some super bad dude? Sure. But I’m far more likely to run into some punk at the mall.

Don’t dress to draw attention to yourself.

This, if you're job is getting into a dance party with people who might be willing to kill you at the drop of a hat, it's a different ballgame from just being the gray man....

-Mike

I tried Thunder wear back in the day, but I got tired of my wife asking me if I was "wearing my diapa". FYI: there is no market for a used Thunder wear Holster.

Underwhere or some other dude here said that his made his junk go numb.... [rofl]

Yeah, that's great and all, but if he is recommending an article of clothing to people specifically for personal protection purposes he SHOULD inform those people of any negatives that same article of clothing has. At least so the people that take his advice are aware of their new disadvantage because of his recommendation.

I frequently wear hoodies, and I always make a mental note to be ready to take it off quickly if I'm able to.

But yeah, the guy who walks around in a unicorn/grim reaper shirt does make some decent points, as I stated in my initial post.

And yet in any of the classes I've taken no instructor has mentioned that the sturdy belt they recommend for my holster could also be used to take me off balance or throw me to the ground. It's not just a hoodie. Any shirt that isn't form fitting or has some stretch can be yanked over your head. Unless you have a supply of rip away stripper clothes someone can probably use your clothing against you. Maybe some day he'll write about that. For now he was simply suggesting attire to keep your gun from printing and ways to deflect attention. You're overthinking the information.

That’s why I wear a black and white striped shirt and carry a ltl whistle.

I always wanted to get paid to teach classes on wrestling woman out of their shirts.

no holster required
Be the holster.
Be the holster, Danny.

Yeah but how do you conceal one of those shoulder things that goes up?
Don't conceal them - flaunt them.
They totally distract bystanders from your gun.
bd3e8c5e7fa3545edd1e83eee533799d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom