• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Draco SBR

saw a draco in gfa armstec the other day... those receivers are straight up romanian military grade receivers, just without the 3rd pin hole drilled.

they feel amazing in the hands.

I wonder how bad the velocity loss is on that as opposed to a carbine with a 16" barrel.

-Mike

This is not an SBR it is a pistol and that is why you can't find one for sale in Mass. If it had a stock it would be an SBR and you could file NFA paper work and could own this gun in MA.
To make this an SBR a manufacturer would have to install a stock and then regester it as an SBR you could then fill out a Form 4 and file with $200.00 to ATF NFA for your NFA Tax Stamp. Once you get your stamp (6 - 8 months wait)the gun can be transfered to you.
Call me if you would like more information.
413 579 1994

What would be the implications of the MA assault weapons ban on this? My assumption would be that the MA AWB would prohibit you from putting on a folding stock and threaded muzzle. I assume that the SBR status doesn't trump that. Or am I mistaken?

From my readings it is a gray area based on the MA definition of a rifle having a 16" barrel.

Don't think I want to be a test case.

The worst (or perhaps best ) part, depending on how you look at it, is there probably will never be a test case, much in the way there aren't many AWB test cases now. Of the ones that exist, it doesn't appear that technical arguments occur.... I think in Manso's case the AWB charge was just dropped.

-Mike

Last edited:
I have never been an AK fan, but this could well change my mind.

A 30 second search show J&G Sales has the pistol in stock at $379 shipped. Dealer transfer is $20. Call it $400 to the door. ACE stock and adapter is ~$140. OK, that's $540. 922(r) parts (Arsenal, Inc. pistol grip and forend, Tapco trigger group) are ~$100. Up to $640. Tapco brake he uses is $16. Call it $660, and then the transfer tax of $200 on a Form 1. About $860 to replicate what he has in the vid. And you can space out the stock and 922 (r) parts while you're waiting for the Form 1.

Ooooo....tempting.

Ooooo....tempting.

miscphaggot.gif

It's AK time

I'm all over this..going to make a few calls tomorrow ...that video sold me..thanks Ray

I hate to be "that guy" who bumps a two year old thread, but I have been interested in an AK SBR for some time now and I cant help but wonder how much accuracy you lose. I hear many differing opinions and I would be interested in hearing peoples .2 cents. When ever I look to find information about the Draco I hear people comparing it to the Yugo m92 PAP. Is the Yugo worth the extra money over the Draco? I know anyone who is going to pay the AWB skyrocketed price is out of their minds, but if it doesn't pass I may be interested in making one. (following all NFA laws) I would appreciate any opinions.

I hate to be "that guy" who bumps a two year old thread, but I have been interested in an AK SBR for some time now and I cant help but wonder how much accuracy you lose. I hear many differing opinions and I would be interested in hearing peoples .2 cents. When ever I look to find information about the Draco I hear people comparing it to the Yugo m92 PAP. Is the Yugo worth the extra money over the Draco? I know anyone who is going to pay the AWB skyrocketed price is out of their minds, but if it doesn't pass I may be interested in making one. (following all NFA laws) I would appreciate any opinions.

I will let you know once I build the M92 kit I have on its way to me. [smile]

You don't loose much accuracy if you have the proper twist rate on the barrel. Yugo M85's and M92's are famously accurate: if you use the proper yugo barrel, they're tack drivers. Proper twist rates combined with no chrome lining (better friction to "grab" the bullet) and they are retardedly accurate for an AK.

I've had a lot of trigger time behind various m92's. And they're very nice shooters.

I would love to have AK SBR. Can you just cut down a standard length AK?

I have trust to which I want to add another rifle. I think once the panic dies down, I'll go see a dealer and let the long wait begin.....

I would love to have AK SBR. Can you just cut down a standard length AK?

You could, but you risk having a "rifle" that keyholes like a bitch depending on what barrel you started with. If you cut down a AKM or AK74 barrel, you won't have the faster twist rates that krink barrels typically have. 5.45 bulgarian and soviet krinks had faster twist rates to try to improve accuracy.

AKM in 7.62x39: 1:10
AK74: 1:8
AKSU (5.45): 1:6
Yugo M85 M95 (.223): 1:7

(I'm not sure) Yugo M92 (7.62x39): 1:10 or 1:9

Last edited:
Hopefully in a few months these will become more available. Drool.

AK74: 1:10
AKSU (5.45): 1:8

I wasn't aware the M92 had a 1:10 or 1:9 twist. Now I really want one.
[thinking]

Do you know how much velocity is lost when the barrel is that short?

Last edited:
You could, but you risk having a "rifle" that keyholes like a bitch depending on what barrel you started with. If you cut down a AKM or AK74 barrel, you won't have the faster twist rates that krink barrels typically have. 5.45 bulgarian and soviet krinks had faster twist rates to try to improve accuracy.

AK74: 1:8
AKSU (5.45): 1:6.5

We can verify with my M92 barrel next weekend if you know of a way to do so.

We can verify with my M92 barrel next weekend if you know of a way to do so.

We could since your barrel is supposed to be from yugoslavia. Basically all you do is push a cleaning rod with a tight fitting patch down the barrel and measure how much rod is eaten by the barrel for it to complete one rotation. It's a rough way of doing it since you're relying on friction to spin the rod, but it does work as long as you let it engage the rifling and spin freely in your hand.

The jury is still out as to whether I can join you guys or not, though. I have some volunteer work I need to get done early in the evening.

Hopefully in a few months these will become more available. Drool.

I wasn't aware the M92 had a 1:10 or 1:9 twist. Now I really want one.
[thinking]

Do you know how much velocity is lost when the barrel is that short?

anywhere from 200-350 FPS, roughly. I'm too lazy to calculate it, but that's a rough guesstimate.

I re-corrected the twist rates you quoted, btw. I was wrong with my initial claim on the AK74 and AKSU. My memory is going to shit.

anywhere from 200-350 FPS, roughly. I'm too lazy to calculate it, but that's a rough guesstimate.

I re-corrected the twist rates you quoted, btw. I was wrong with my initial claim on the AK74 and AKSU. My memory is going to shit.

Thanks, I trust your fuzzy memory. 200-350 isn't bad at all considering the size. From the videos I've watched they handle recoil like a champ. Damn it, just when I think I couldn't spend any more money...

We could since your barrel is supposed to be from yugoslavia. Basically all you do is push a cleaning rod with a tight fitting patch down the barrel and measure how much rod is eaten by the barrel for it to complete one rotation. It's a rough way of doing it since you're relying on friction to spin the rod, but it does work as long as you let it engage the rifling and spin freely in your hand.

The jury is still out as to whether I can join you guys or not, though. I have some volunteer work I need to get done early in the evening.

You know if it were anything other then good deed volunteer work that you were doing I would have a mouth full of negative things to say about you to persuade you into blowing it off to party with us. [wink][laugh]

Thanks, I trust your fuzzy memory. 200-350 isn't bad at all considering the size. From the videos I've watched they handle recoil like a champ. Damn it, just when I think I couldn't spend any more money...

It's not bad, but it does kill the range of the rifle. Krinks weren't supposed to be tack drivers, but those m92's beg to tell you otherwise. FGABF has a few of them and they can shoot the balls off of a bull at 200-250 yards.

You know if it were anything other then good deed volunteer work that you were doing I would have a mouth full of negative things to say about you to persuade you into blowing it off to party with us. [wink][laugh]

I hear you. The wife is getting back from business travel the night before so when/if I get out early from work I may be pinned down doing shit with her. We will see what happens. If the build continues the next night I'll definitely be good to go. I'll see what I can do. I want to join and bring some tools, and drill out some receivers for my AKSU (speaking of krinks!) and AKM. Get that shit ready to build in a pinch. Those front tunnions aren't going to drill themselves!

20121211_113042.jpg

KRINK'S FOR EVERYBODY!!!!!11

srsly though, I realized what the virgin in virgin kit actually entails in the last few days of reading...I am a little nervous, come help me.

Back
Top Bottom