Dr Glock

So I have owned a few glocks at this point and can detail strip them in a heart beat. I usually try and buy them new but I got a great deal on a glock30. Took it to the range for the first time the other night and had 2 issues. While shooting one of the 5 mags that came with the gun all that looked to have been new and in good shape. I had a failure to feed on the last round. The spent cartridge was ejected but the round below it got jammed in to the feed ramp and did not seat properly.
History has told me it could be do to a bad magazine. Unfortunately when these two jams occurred they were the last 4 rounds I had remaining (loading only two at a time). When I got home I took the magazine in question apart and tried inspecting it for any obvious obstructions. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary so I put it back together.
I had ordered a new ejector just in case, Ive heard the newer style ejectors are more reliable so that's on its way for piece of mind. I was also shooting tul ammo and didnt have any issues with the federal brass I was shooting before I got to the crap tul.

I am familiar with glocks but this is my first 45. It is a older model in great looking shape but I was wondering if people had replaced certain parts when they bought their older MA compliant glock 45s almost as a "must do" to update the gun.

How are the springs? It's tough to judge but you may want to consider replacing the recoil spring. I can't say for sure that's the problem but when I get a used pistol I often buy the "spring kit" and install it because it is usually a cheap improvement. I keep the old ones as backups.

and of course cleaning and lubing helps too

Last edited:
How are the springs? It's tough to judge but you may want to consider replacing the recoil spring. I can't say for sure that's the problem but when I get a used pistol I often buy the "spring kit" and install it because it is usually a cheap improvement. I keep the old ones as backups.

and of course cleaning and lubing helps too

Yes cleaning and lubing does help, but Glocks are fickle. Two drops of Lubrication can do the whole pistol. You can run into the same problems with overlubrication just the same as under lubrication.

Do the recoil spring test, first. Unload the gun. Unload it again, really make sure its unloaded... you get it.

Then dry fire it in a safe direction and HOLD DOWN the trigger. While holding down the trigger, pull the slide back all the way and hold it there... point the gun skyward, and slowly release the slide (while still holding the trigger). When the slide gets 85% of the way closed, let it go. (still holding trigger). If the slide goes into battery on its own, the spring is OK. If the gun is out of battery at this point, your recoil spring is shot and needs to be replaced. (on a lasermax for a G30 I would imagine you'd have to somehow take the springs off the unit or something, somehow.... )

-Mike

Do the recoil spring test, first. Unload the gun. Unload it again, really make sure its unloaded... you get it.

Then dry fire it in a safe direction and HOLD DOWN the trigger. While holding down the trigger, pull the slide back all the way and hold it there... point the gun skyward, and slowly release the slide (while still holding the trigger). When the slide gets 85% of the way closed, let it go. (still holding trigger). If the slide goes into battery on its own, the spring is OK. If the gun is out of battery at this point, your recoil spring is shot and needs to be replaced. (on a lasermax for a G30 I would imagine you'd have to somehow take the springs off the unit or something, somehow.... )

-Mike
I tried the procedure you described and the slide locked forward each time. Even putting it extreme close together before letting go also made it close properly. I did call lazermax today to send me a new battery cove. There is a tiny gold pin on the back that can get warn down and 10 bucks isn't so bad to ensure reliability. Considering if I had not tested out the spring then I would have sent it to them and could have been looking at an additional 45+ bucks. Hopefully I will get some more .45 tonight and give it another go. Marking the mags along the way.

Try a mag spring test. Hold firmly, pointed in safe direction and with the empty mag in the gun, pull back and release the slide with force. Overhand grip on the slide and bring it back strongly and let it go with a snap as the slide ends its rearward travel, make this all one motion. The slide should lock back. With a weak spring the slide may go forward fully. Do this several times per mag.

Not a perfect test for weak mag springs beacuse this can also be caused by damaged followers and some weak mag springs may still lock the slide and still cause malfs.

Considering you were using Tula, were the cases being flung as far as the regular brass ammo you were using or where they going all over the place / dropping closer?

Back
Top Bottom