DQ video

I was not aware of any rule against drawing a gun in a Cooper Tunnel.

The video was pretty good, but would have been better set to Benny Hill music.

I was not aware of any rule against drawing a gun in a Cooper Tunnel.

Neither was I. I've never seen a Cooper Tunnel in a match. Are they still used?

I've seen shooters turn the wrong way on several occasions, sweeping the RO and squad. I've rarely seen an ND.

Neither was I. I've never seen a Cooper Tunnel in a match. Are they still used?

I've seen shooters turn the wrong way on several occasions, sweeping the RO and squad. I've rarely seen an ND.

We did a sort-of Cooper tunnel in Dorchester a few years ago. They are not popular among people with bad knees.

I absolutely can't believe the one with people down range! How the hell does that happen! [shocked]

There was a story behind this, it was at a mid Atlantic sectionals or summer blast. She intentionally dq'ed to help the match or awards...something like that. It was awhile back

I guess if you are going to DQ on purpose, that's probably the safest way to do it. [laugh]

-Mike

Sounds like a DQ trap to me. I'd hope the WSB covers that shit - who the **** knows that rule offhand.

I would think that a decent RO would tell people about that while discussing the stage with the squad before shooting, though. As far as I know that's not illegal, lol. Not any different than when good ROs will remind you to BE VERY CAREFUL about breaking the 180 if the stage has targets that could potentially induce you to ever so slightly break the 180. It's also possible they did announce that but that guy wasn't paying attention....

-Mike

I have to admit that I don't understand the predilection that USPSA stage designers seem to have for setting up 180 traps. Most every match I've been to there has been at least one stage where there were targets on the 170 degree line, such that if you took a step or two you were done.

that guy who was down range behind that curtain or whatever it was is damn lucky.
These videos are exactly why i would never try to compete in one of these events. Way to many idiots

that guy who was down range behind that curtain or whatever it was is damn lucky. These videos are exactly why i would never try to compete in one of these events. Way to many idiots
None of these situations happen frequently. And that down range guy is something that I've never heard of before. USPSA addressed that situation quickly.

Go to a competition some time just to watch. I think you will find that in safety is taken very seriously.

None of these situations happen frequently. And that down range guy is something that I've never heard of before. USPSA addressed that situation quickly.

Go to a competition some time just to watch. I think you will find that in safety is taken very seriously.

Agreed. I can't speak for USPSA as I've only done IDPA matches, it's always very safe in my experience.

I think you'd have a greater risk of harm/injury at your local shooting range than at a USPSA or IDPA match.

As M1911 said, I highly recommend going to watch a match as I think you'll find yourself wanting to shoot a match. Lot of fun for sure.

Last edited:
that guy who was down range behind that curtain or whatever it was is damn lucky.
These videos are exactly why i would never try to compete in one of these events. Way to many idiots

Not sure if serious, every USPSA and steel match I've ever been to has been remarkably safe, far safer in relative terms than being on a square range somewhere with random people shooting. Most DQs are for marginal violations. Even some of the ones in that video were pretty marginal, but the rules are the rules to keep an additional safety factor/buffer in play. It's also a form of self policing; if a guy gets DQed for something even marginally stupid, they'll "lick their wounds" and probably resolve not to make it a problem going forward- which has the effect of making them more safe.

I used to shoot bowling pin matches all over the place and those were pretty safe most of the time, but things like USPSA, steel challenge, and IDPA are a level or two beyond that, even.

That video of the dude downrange made big waves when it appeared, mainly because epic ****ups like that are basically unicorn level rare.

Honestly driving to and from the match is probably WAY, more dangerous by an exponential amount.

-Mike

RE idiots at the range... Folks who regularly participate in USPSA / IDPA are, from what I have seen, among the safest and most competent gun handlers I have ever witnessed. Newcomers to these events are encouraged to take it easy and ask lots of questions to ensure they can complete the match in a safe manner, for themselves and everyone there.

Cool excuse for not competing.
Are you insinuating I can't shoot. I do pretty well for an old guy with failing eyes. I have gone and watched a couple IDPA matches and most of the shooters there seemed to be under control but there was a lot going on, lot of room for mistakes.
Videos like the one that started this thread scare the shit out of me. I will have to take the word of people who go to these all the time that these events are rare. I just don't want to be the rare guy who gets shot.

Back
Top Bottom