• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DPS and transferring long guns.-- Removing ones name from there data base

I understand this is off base a little but the legal knowledge possessed by many on this board, and others related to firearms is immense and may provide an answer for me.

Simply put, after selling/transferring a long gun on a face to face transfer in state(ct) i do not want my name associated with it as the last owner. ( i bought this rifle at a CT dealer so they did the original paperwork)

I have read on other forums that it is simply a matter of calling DPS special licensing unit an advising them that the long gun originally purchased by myself has been legally sold/transferred and is no longer in my possession, nothing more. however, I have no first hand knowledge of this.

- Any one have experience with this? Second, how does one get the printout of what firearms are associated with an owner? I'd like to check up on DPS's accuracy in regards to what firearms i have in my possession.
thanks in advance,

The best way to get the gun removed from an association with you is to call for an approval code and sending in a DPS-3 form, just like you would if you did a face to face transfer of a handgun

But it sounds like its a bit late for that. If the buyer is someone you know you may want to call for a code now. In theory, he would transfer the gun back to you, then you would retransfer it to him with an approval code.

I've heard of people getting the gun removed from their file after sending in a sworn, notarized affidavit. But the state still wanted to know who it went to. That can be difficult if the gun is sold out of state.

The real issue is why you want the gun disassociated with you. I consider it to be every CT gun owner's civic duty to do everything they can to LAWFULLY make that database as inaccurate as possible. The better the data is, the more it can be used against us. At this point, the DPS knows the data is crap and its nearly useless to them. Before I got my FFL, I always got a bill of sale and a photocopy of their PP. I kept that in my files. If the cops showed up, I'd have the option to divulge that info if I chose to. For ethical reasons and the practical reason that I don't have the ability to see someone's past, I always required a PP unless I knew the person.

If the gun is associated with you and is ever used in a crime, the cops may knock at your door. But since its a long gun, there are no regulations around its transfer, so even if you have no information, you are ok.

I don't know how to get a print out of the guns associated with me. Call the DPS SLFU, I'm sure they can help you.

Don

Don, I've been wondering about this since the new dumb gun ban. I've only sold one of my shotguns in a Private sale here in CT and I printed out the state transfer form. I kept one copy and the transferee got the other. Because it was a shotgun, I was told I didn't need to call it in. I am meeting a guy today to sell him my H&R 1871 12ga. Can I still do the same thing as I did with the other sale? The sale I did before was 5 days prior to the ban being signed into law. Do I need to call in this sale and have a background check performed? hopefully, I will see an answer before 4:30pm as that is when I am leaving to meet him lol.

Thanks,
Dave

How did it turn out. I need to reread to confirm, but I think it needs to go through a dealer now. I"m about 65% certain of this. So take it with a grain of salt.

Give the CT DPS SLFU a call to find out if they give out authorization numbers to non-licensees anymore. The authorization number is 860-685-8400.

Don

Back
Top Bottom