Down Range Firearms Training Review

dreppucci007

NES Member
Hey guys, just wanted to give everyone a heads up on a pretty cool experience I had the other day while at Four Seasons...

I saw some signs outside the shop for a judgmental shooting class offered by Down Range Firearms Training. I asked Matt behind the counter about and he told me that he opened up a firearms training school in the same building as FS. It was slow at the shop, so he took me upstairs to demo the class, which uses this amazing firearms simulator. I got to shoot a Glock (no, my hand didn't blow up...thank God), a Sig and a custom built M4 with the simulator.

It was truly a one of a kind experience! You’re put into real life scenarios and you have to react based upon the situation that unfolds in front of you, and the situation can change and escalate as the scenario rolls. He let me run through a few scenarios and some skill building material that really tests your speed and accuracy with a gun. It's so lifelik because you get to use real guns, with real recoil, and don’t have to spend any money on ammo because it’s all laser and co2 driven. It was, by far, some of the most fun I’ve had shooting in a while. It's definitely something you guys should check out!

He's got a website setup, too... http://www.drftraining.com

Hey guys, just wanted to give everyone a heads up on a pretty cool experience I had the other day while at Four Seasons...

I saw some signs outside the shop for a judgmental shooting class offered by Down Range Firearms Training. I asked Matt behind the counter about and he told me that he opened up a firearms training school in the same building as FS. It was slow at the shop, so he took me upstairs to demo the class, which uses this amazing firearms simulator. I got to shoot a Glock (no, my hand didn't blow up...thank God), a Sig and a custom built M4 with the simulator.

It was truly a one of a kind experience! You’re put into real life scenarios and you have to react based upon the situation that unfolds in front of you, and the situation can change and escalate as the scenario rolls. He let me run through a few scenarios and some skill building material that really tests your speed and accuracy with a gun. It's so lifelik because you get to use real guns, with real recoil, and don’t have to spend any money on ammo because it’s all laser and co2 driven. It was, by far, some of the most fun I’ve had shooting in a while. It's definitely something you guys should check out!

He's got a website setup, too... http://www.drftraining.com

That system is definitely very cool, so much stuff you can do with it

Thanks for the review Dave!

To answer the questions, no it is not the Laser Shot system, it is more advanced. We've had military and law enforcement agencies use the system and say it is better than Laser Shot and the FAS system currently in use by the military.

The system uses real firearms, the barrels and internals are replaced with a laser system that is calibrated and zeroed exactly like you would zero any firearm. The magazines and bullets are replaced by a CO2 powerlet that cycles the gun after each shot and is regulated to provide the real recoil of a 9mm, ,40sw, .45 and even the .223

Unlike the Laser Shot system, the scenarios are real, many of them based upon actual events, and you must act and react according to how you would in the field or on the streets.

There are CGI sections, we call them skill builders, that will help you build speed and accuracy with a firearm. You're able to shoot steel targets, pepper poppers, and hostage taker targets through different courses of fire. When you hit or miss, you will be able to track your shots on the computer at the end of each scenario.

If you're a new shooter, it's a great way to build your skills and confidence. If you're an experienced shooter, well lets be serious...there's always room for improvement.

If anyone is interested please visit my site, www.drftraining.com, or email me, [email protected]

We're currently running a promo, where with the purchase of a firearm at Four Seasons you will be given a $20 off coupon for your first Judgemental Shooting Class.

(And yes...I paid for a dealer membership, waiting for the big guy to activate me)

Sounds like a good resource. Best of luck with the new venture.

Thanks! Once things cool down with the holidays I'm going to do a karma and pick a few NES members to demo the simulator so keep an eye out.

I called Matt this evening while on my way to Applebee's for my daughter's birthday dinner. I had no present for her other than to tell her I got her a Judgmental and Tactical Shooting Class with Matt. When we got home I showed her the website and she's pretty excited, of course now my wife want's to go too.

I was there one day a few weeks ago while they were calibrating the screen. Looks pretty cool. I'll give a review after the class.

I went shopping for stocking stuffers today @ Down Range. I bought Judgmental and Tactical Shooting Training Gift Certificate's for all my girls. There wasn't a class going on when I got there so Matt & John showed me some of the simulation's, each with all the potential variables. I even got to try a few. I couldn't believe how realistic the IES system is. Some of the scenarios are interactive. There's a convenience store robbery scenario and when you yell to the perp to drop his weapon and step away he does and then his partner tries to shoot you with a shotgun from the back of the store. There are hostage situations etc. It's really amazing.

Last edited:
I was trying to explain this to Donna yesterday while we were using the simulator but she didn't know what I was talking about. It took a while but I finally found it.

When I was a kid in the mid seventies my grandparent's had a place on A street up at Hampton Beach. Every chance I got I would sneak up to the corner and go into the Happy Hampton to play a shooting arcade game. It was called the Shooting Trainer by Nintendo. It was forty bottle's in ninety seconds with a lever action rifle. It would start with one stationary bottle at a time than two etc. Eventually bottle's would be thrown it the air with the last four all thrown at once.

My brothers were playing Space Invader's or Sea Devil but as for me, it was that rifle and maybe some ski-ball when I had less than 50¢ left. I guess I've gotta a thing for simulator's [wink] .

Shooting Trainer.jpg

Matt gave me the grand tour a few weeks ago and also got to do some of the skill builders and a few scenarios on the sim. This setup is truly amazing and you actually feel like you are in that situation at that given moment. I would highly recommend this to any shooter of any level!

Same here , got a quick tour and its really cool !! Real firearms is the best part !!
I agree with sharpening skills weather your a beginer or advanced shooter .

A great benefit for the new shooters is having the best Gun Shop right down stairs !!

I wish these guys the best of luck !!

This thread is the only reference I can find on NES to the Milo range stuff. This is indeed pretty neat stuff.

My wife and I took our Basic Firearms Safety course with Matt at DRFT today. He's a great instructor, witty and he kept it interesting and informative. I would definitely recommend him. We'll probably take some of his other classes as time goes on. It was a great experience.

Back
Top Bottom