• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dover Fights Lyme Disease With Bows And Arrows

Lyme disease explosion, you don't say? I wonder why.....
town bylaw:
Hunting is prohibited, regardless of the weapon used, on all public lands in Dover

here's the link
http://www.wbur.org/2010/10/15/dover-deer-hunt

They've been talking about this for years, I guess things are getting bad. Here's a stat from an informal survey that they did:
Have you had or are you currently recovering from LD or have sought medical treatment for a tick
bite?
487 with YES = 66% and 251 with NO = 34%
In addition:
- 39 individuals reported to have been treated more than once
- More than a few cases had to be hospitalized
- 47 dogs were diagnosed with LD

only 3 comments, but 2 are from the same moonbat who dishes out this practical idea:
To further expound on my previous comment about applying a Frontline type product to deer, hunters throughout MA could help the Wildlife officials administer doses via a catch and release license program.

Yeah lady, merely shooting them is no challenge, I'd like to catch them instead.[laugh2]

Town of Dover
Board of Health - Lyme Disease Committee
Deer Hunting Regulations 2010
1. Hunting is permitted by qualified hunters only. Hunters must be qualified by
the Lyme Disease Agents’ (LDA) interview and assessment process.
2. Two bucks per hunter may be taken following LDA approval and only
AFTER at least one antlerless deer is taken for each buck. Additional
does may be taken.
3. All deer taken must be reported to the LDA within 24 Hours. The LDAs
will report to the BOH weekly.
4. No night-vision or other low-light devices are permitted
5. Hunting is permitted only from a fixed position. Tree Stands are preferred
using strap-on or ladder steps. Ground blinds will be permitted on a special
waiver basis to be determined by the LDAs. A BOH ID tag must be
attached to the stand or blind and displayed on their vehicle dashboard.
Trees stands and blinds must be removed at the end of the season.
6. Harvested animals remains must be completely removed without damage
to environment.
7. All Licenses, Permits and Maps of approved location and boundaries must
be carried at all times. Please familiarize yourself with the area boundaries.
If you need maps – ask!
8. The Dover BOH through its LDAs reserves the right to revoke permits or
cancel hunting at any time, without cause.
9. No other forms of wildlife shall be taken.
10. All hunters shall be required to donate a minimum of two hours of
volunteer time for land maintenance duties on hunting-managed Dover
lands prior to the next hunting season.
11. Hunters must be courteous to all property users and make a genuine
effort to inform others about the hunting program when encountered. The
LDAs and the BOH must be notified of negative encounters with visitors as
soon as possible.
12. All Hunters must abide by the 2010 Mass Wild Life rules and regulations.

I don't understand what goes through these idiots heads. Honestly what do they think is going to happen when you can't keep the population in check? Its the same story with the coyotes. NO HUNTING! until some yuppie sees one running across her back yard with kitty in its mouth. Then they start complaining about why isn't anyone doing about it. A few years ago I was doing some work at someone's house in Dover on the Charles and they were having a massive problem with aggressive geese. They knew I hunted and were trying to get the town to allow me to cull the population a bit (it never happened).

Could the Dover BOH think of any more rules & regulations to add to that list!! Lyme Disease Agent interview? ROTFLMAO.
If I still lived in nearby Millis I would pass on this offer - unless they paid me to put up with that crap.

This is what happens...

"All hunters shall be required to donate a minimum of two hours of
volunteer time for land maintenance duties on hunting-managed Dover
lands prior to the next hunting season."

They can kiss my ass. Its like biting the hand that feeds you. If you want to open it up to hunting then do it the fair way and let people enter into a lottery. Set some minimum requirements, etc. I could understand if they were going to have the game warden interview you but this just seems ridiculous. Do they have any idea how much time it takes to prep for deer season? scouting, hanging stands, etc. They want 2 more hours of your time for you to do them a favor and reduce the deer population because they made a critical mistake and disallowed proper game management in their town? FAIL

dude, dont go hunting there. let them all get LD. so they can see what happens when you dont allow hunters.

maybe all the tree loving a**holes that harass hunters can run after the deer and give them frontline lol.

i wouldnt hunt in a town like that even if they paid me to.

Last edited:
I like this one:

to environment.

Translation: No gut pile, and you'll have to levitate it out of there.

I like this one:

to environment.

Translation: No gut pile, and you'll have to levitate it out of there.
Yup, saw that, too.

dude, dont go hunting there. let them all get LD. so they can see what happens when you dont allow hunters.
Agreed.

It kills me! It is a 15min. ride for me into Dover, maybe. Tons of deer!!! But the rules are so silly it's not funny.
I can't go through with it.

I don't have the info in front of me but I think the town of Boxborough is working on a similar plan.

There is a child in a neighboring town, he used to hang with my nephew, who got Lyme and was not treated early enough. According to my sister the kid is almost autistic, missed a year+ of school and just is not the same kid.

We get enough of those cases and we will have an open season 365 days a year.

Bill

MA will finally wake up like Southern CT did in the last decade. It's only a matter of time before the deer become a nuisance.....
However, they'll never fix problem if they have the 500 foot rule still active. Like CT if they want to be effective, you need to be able to do backyards and small lots. The towns that are the least restrictive as far as rules go, will have the most effective programs....guys just don't want to have to jump thru hoops to shoot urban deer. Without backing of the town and police...I wouldn't hunt like I do in CT in MA. Too many moonbats and too much trouble.

moonbat who dishes out this practical idea:
To further expound on my previous comment about applying a Frontline type product to deer, hunters throughout MA could help the Wildlife officials administer doses via a catch and release license program.

Yeah lady, merely shooting them is no challenge, I'd like to catch them instead.

I would like to try the catch and release thing. But I don’t think I can run that fast

got one!

70 yards off my back deck, probably 3 miles as the crow flies form the Concord rotatory.

29_OCT_10_Whitetail.jpg

They are idiots they set these dumb ass rules then they need help to try and know the population down. So not only do they want you to harvest the animals (to help them) they then want you to do community service. Idiots! Who comes up with this stuff? I would like to go to just 1 of there town meetings just to see what is discussed. I am sure it would be interesting to say the least. So they are going to let you hunt with permission but where would you hunt? I can see it now: you know on the door to ask permission and they call the cops. I used to live in Millis and do a ton of work in Dover and the surrounding towns it is funny those people are all in there own little world. The things they can worry about are unbelievable.

I'm five minutes from Dover. I go to Vermont for my hunting. The Dover people think they can control
an out-of-control environmental train wreck by bow hunting? That is a freakin' laugh! Never in the
history of hunting has bow hunting been able to affect deer populations and this is just another
doomed tree-hugger experiment. The guy running this scam is a flat out shyster who is scamming
the liberal dolts (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). I've read a lot about these stupid ill-conceived
attempts to control deer populations across this country. From Arizona to Michigan to New Jersey,
all have failed miserably. This asinine program will meet the same or worse fate. As for the ignorant
responders to that article, I hope you like your deer tick infested town, because it's only going to
get worse, much worse. You only have to look at Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard to see just how
bad it can get.

Last edited:
So they are reaching out for help from the hunters to save their sorry diseased asses and they have the nerve to pile on all of these rules and require the hunters to donate hours of service in addition to this? Here is a big middle finger from this hunter to the town officials......be sure to post pictures of the rash....

However, they'll never fix problem if they have the 500 foot rule still active. Like CT if they want to be effective, you need to be able to do backyards and small lots.
Indeed. My backyard would actually be a perfectly safe place to bow hunt. We back up against woods, and bow hunting from a treestand would be perfectly safe. But I'd need permission from 10 houses. Not gonna happen.

You only have to look at Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard to see just how
bad it can get.
I hunted the special hunt in Nantucket a number of years back. Hunting on Nantucket is a bitch -- scrub so thick you can't even crawl through it.

Indeed. My backyard would actually be a perfectly safe place to bow hunt. We back up against woods, and bow hunting from a treestand would be perfectly safe. But I'd need permission from 10 houses. Not gonna happen.

I took 3 adult does in 4 hours the other day on a 2 acre lot in CT. I was watching sportscenter thru the picture window on the neighbors big screen tv before the action started. I don't even have permission from the neighbor. Before I shot the deer were litterally 10' from the landowners doorstep eating all their landscape plantings.

That's 9 deer that wont be there next year...... as Does down there tend to have twins or triplets. On small lots it's effective and safe.....if MA doesn't change the rules in those high population areas the deer density will go exponential as long as there is food and cover.

Told the lady as she was driving out that I got a few....all she said was Awesome! I hope you'll come back for more!

Last edited:
.....if MA doesn't change the rules in those high population areas the deer density will go exponential as long as there is food and cover.

Their babies will have to die before they would capitulate and even then I suspect they might not. The mind of a Massachusetts moonbat is almost beyond comprehension.

Last edited:
I'll have to look around....there are only distance restrictions on firearms...I've never been able to find much about bows, it's pretty much implied there are no restrictions on distance unless a town has bylaws in place.

Back
Top Bottom