• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Double Shooting at Army Barracks in Conway, NH

http://www.wmtw.com/news/13606144/detail.html

CONWAY, N.H. -- Authorities are investigating a reported shooting at a military surplus store in Conway.

The Manchester Union Leader’s Web site reported that a helicopter and Fish and Game officers are helping state and local police search for a blonde man wearing camouflage shorts and armed with a handgun.

The store is on Route 16, and part of that road was closed Monday morning.

State police referred all calls to local police, who are not releasing details at this time.

Meanwhile, Fran Duncan, a worker at a mobile home park about a mile away, said state police have requested that all residents stay inside while the search is on. She said police are searching the woods for an armed man, there is a helicopter overhead and police officers are everywhere.

Ill have to do a search and see if anything else has been reported.. thanks for the heads up.

Here's the latest-Two dead

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ne...02/police_search_after_shooting_in_conway_nh/

At least 2 dead in N.H. shooting

July 2, 2007

CONWAY, N.H. --At least two people died in a shooting Monday morning in Conway, a prosecutor said.

"There may be another body," said Ann Rice, a senior assistant attorney general.

Witnesses reported hearing shots around 10 a.m. at an army-navy store on busy Route 16, the main road through town.

Authorities closed the highway and urged people to stay inside their homes or workplaces. A small army of law enforcement officers, aided by helicopters and dog teams, searched for a man described as armed with a small handgun.

Several people were taken into custody as the day wore on. But at mid-afternoon, Rice could not say whether the suspect was in custody or whether authorities knew his identity.

The man was described as blond, 5 feet 10-inches tall, and wearing a baseball cap and camouflage shorts.

Fran Duncan, who works about a mile away at the Lamplighter Mobile Home Park north of town, said state police asked her to call all of the community's residents and warn them to stay inside as they searched for a man with a gun in the woods. Duncan said the park has more than 200 homes, many of them second homes.

She said she was told there had been a shooting down the road and the suspect was in the woods with a gun.

"I can hear the helicopter up there and there's police everywhere," she said.

Store manager Dick Poulin got similar news.

"I was told they were looking for someone described as wearing camouflage shorts, blondish hair, automatic weapon. That's all I needed to shut down and lock my doors," Poulin told unionleader.com. Poulin is assistant manager of the state liquor store across the street from the site of the shooting, called the Army Barracks.

Poulin and four employees locked themselves inside the liquor store, the Web site said.

Dick Stevens, who works at Saco Canoe Rental, also across the street, said he was outside his store when he heard two shots about four seconds apart. Stevens, 77, said he turned and saw a young man run around the Army Barracks to the north and into the woods.

The store sells camping equipment and gear such as knives, stun guns and paintball guns, but no firearms, company official Marilyn Brabents said. She told unionleader.com the store's manager usually arrives before the 10 a.m. opening to check inventory and do payroll.
© Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be

Automatic weapons?
That's the new media term for any autoloader so they can make it sound like it's a machine gun. Most people don't know enough about firearms to know that when they say automatic they mean semi-automatic.

Gonna be in the 40s tonight there, that's going to be cold in the woods. Probably buggy too.

The biggest problem I see is that he got away with it. Conway has gotten so "yuppified" in recent years that firearms are seldom seen, except during deer season. That and the traffic are why I no longer vacation there.

I remember years back, early 70's, my Dad and Uncle took me camping up there.
No traffic, no tourists, and the proprietor of the General Store carried a revolver openly.

My Uncle openly carried his .357 in the woods and in town, and vaporized a Timber rattler with it. The best part was when some Libs (before the term was common), complete with their "Sound of Music" lederhosen, knee socks and pointy felt caps (with feathers), called the State Police to report a man with a gun. The trooper was cool. I remember him using the term "a**h***s" several times and said something to the effect that "If they are afraid of guns, stay the hell out of New Hampshire!".

I am sure that if something like this happened in the Conway of old, they cops would have only been there to take reports and call the coroner.

DAMN- I was just there over Father's day weekend.. THe two young guys working behind the counter were really cool.............

I was in Conway/North Conway Sunday. If the guests I'd invited had lost their little league game Friday night we'd have been there on Sunday .... his kids love that store.

Here's the latest story

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2007/07/third_victim_di.html

By April Simpson, Globe Staff

Two Massachusetts men were among the three victims of a fatal shooting at a military surplus outlet in Conway, N.H., after a gunman wearing fatigues burst into the Army Barracks store Monday and opened fire.

A third person died late last night and was identified by the New Hampshire attorney general’s office as Gary Jones, 23, of Plymouth. Authorities identified the other two victims as James Walker, 34 of Denmark, Maine, and William Jones, 25, of Walpole, Mass.

Law enforcement officials plan to resume a massive manhunt for the gunman today in the woods near Conway. Police called after the search Monday after sundown, said Ann Rice, associate attorney general.

The N.H. Department of Justice described the suspect today in a press released as a white male with blond hair in his mid 20s. He was wearing camouflage shorts, a baseball cap, a light colored shirt, and was carrying a backpack.

"The public should continue to take precautions, as the suspect is believed to be armed and dangerous," the press release says.

On Monday, the manhunt had residents on edge. Police restricted movement, closed the main thoroughfare, Route 16, and urged people to stay in their homes or workplaces while law enforcement officers searched the area with helicopters and canine teams.

Kristi Riley of Fryeburg, Maine, said that one of the victims, James Walker, was her former husband. Walked was the manager of the Army Barracks, where the shooting occurred.

"He hadn't had a day off in three weeks," she said in a telephone interview on Monday. "He was just working his job, and this happened to him."

Riley said she did not know why someone would shoot Walker or attack store personnel. They have two children, a 1-year-old boy and an 8-year-old girl, she said.

"My daughter is trying to deal with her daddy being gone," said Riley, adding that Walker had coached their daughter's softball team.
"He was a really good father," she said. "He was a fun-loving man. He did everything he could to be a good dad."

Authorities described the suspect as a white male in his mid- to late-20s with blond hair and a backpack. He was dressed in camouflage shorts, a light shirt, and baseball cap at the time of the shootings, said Ann Rice, associate attorney general.

"He may be in the area," Rice said, adding that he is believed to be armed.

The Associated Press reported that several people were taken into custody as the day wore on, but police would not confirm that last night.

Police received a report of a shooting about 9:40 a.m. after witnesses reported hearing shots at the Army Barracks, which a town official said usually opens at 10.

Residents at the Lamplighter Mobile Home Park, a 100-acre site less than a mile northeast of the store, were urged to stay indoors, as police searched for the suspect in a quarter-mile area of the park, which has about 240 residents, said maintenance worker Clifton Johnston.

"It was a ruckus here for a while," Johnston said in a telephone interview.

"At first, everybody was trying to be nosy to see what they were doing," he said. "There was way too much adrenaline going around."
Don Poulin, assistant manager of the New Hampshire State Liquor Store on Route 16, said police prohibited people from entering or leaving the store after the shootings.

By midafternoon, Poulin said, he was hungry and tired. The employees could not take their regular lunch hour.

"We were sort of worried, wondering what direction [the suspect was] headed or what direction they were going to go," Poulin said.

Janet Bullock -- who lives in Center Conway, a mile from the Army Barracks -- said she was headed to a mechanic to have her car inspected when a police officer stopped her from driving through town.

"The police cut me off right in front of my car," Bullock said. "I thought he was going to hit it."

With a suspect still on the loose, Bullock said, residents were concerned.

"Of course, we've got to look out, too," said Bullock, 63. "We're keeping an eye open everywhere we go around here. I know the police are doing as much as they can."

Last evening, a half-mile stretch of Route 16 near the store remained closed after 7:20 p.m.

Meanwhile, in Center Conway, life seemed to be returning to normal.
About 4 miles north of the shooting, tourists played in a park, ate ice cream, and shopped in outlet stores.

"We were a little worried when it first happened, and we called the police to see if we should do anything," said Katarina Prieberova, manager of Zeb's County Store in the heart of Conway.

"They said there was nothing to do. I am not trying to think about it, plus we'd lose a lot of money if more people knew. Conway is a tourist destination."

One of those tourists was Joe Harrington, 47, of Wakefield, Mass., who said he has visited Conway every Fourth of July weekend for the past 20 years.

Harrington only heard about the shootings about 6 p.m., while having a drink at a local bar. He does not plan to abandon his vacation because there is a gunman on the loose.

"I live 10 miles from Boston, so if you aren't willing to change your life there, why would I up here," Harrington said.

Nonetheless, the news bothered Mike Bajger, 53, a 30-year resident of Conway. "It freaked me right out," he said. "I haven't been fearful in the entire time I lived here, but I was today."

Even so, Bajger went to work, as did everyone else he knew.

"He was probably miles away, and he wasn't knocking on my door," Bajger said.

Globe correspondent James W. Pindell contributed to this report from North Conway, N.H. Material from the Associated Press was also used.

April Simpson can be reached at [email protected].

I hope they catch the Scum. My wife and I go to N. Conway a half dozen times a year,to go shopping sight seeing ect. And that was the only store up there that kept me sane (up for debate). I am heading up that way tonight, no need to go there now. I think there is more to this story than just an early am robery...

I also haven't seen anything mentioning anything, like money, missing from the store. I suppose if it was a robbery gone bad he could have fled after the shooting in a panic forgetting to take the money.

Just saw this in the news. Totally shocked. Like a bunch of you, I'm in there all the time. Almost every weekend during the summer as we have a camp up on Lake Ossipee. My wife and little girl were headed up there with me to meet them in a few hours but I just got her on the phone and asked her to come home to wait for me. No way do I want her going into the place alone.

I just bought a 5 1/4 inch KA-Bar there the week before last. They were joking with me about how long I was taking to pick a knife. I know those guys. Just a total sick feeling right now.

As I'm typing I just got a call that the police may have arrested someone in Fryeburg, Maine, that fits the description of the suspect. Let's hope so.

Steve O.

Here's the latest

By Beverley Wang, Associated Press Writer | July 3, 2007

FRYEBURG, Maine --A man who matched the description of the gunman in a triple slaying in New Hampshire was detained for questioning Tuesday across the border in Maine.
Article Tools

* PRINTER FRIENDLYPrinter friendly
* E-MAILE-mail to a friend
* RSS FEEDSMass. RSS feed
* RSS FEEDSAvailable RSS feeds
* MOST E-MAILEDMost e-mailed
* Share on DiggShare on Digg
* Share on Facebook
* Tag with Del.icio.us Save this article