• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

double barreled sg wanted

i am in the market for a double barreled shotgun, looking to use it to shoot skeet, not hunting, i like the look of a side by side though people seem to like under overs for shooting skeet, is it possible to shoot skeet with a side by side?

any recommendations for a cheap double barreled 12g sg for shooting skeet?

Sorry but this calls for the mandatory "don't listen to Biden" warning.[smile][smile]

I don't shoot skeet or trap but I'm sure you'll get some good info chiming in on gun choices from those who do either or both.

If you go to a trap and skeet field, O/Us or semis are all thats used. I'm the one weirdo on the field with a pump. CZ makes some nice SxS shotguns for bird hunting, but they don't have trap or skeet sights.

Product Categories | CZ-USA

Baikal O/U and SxS shotguns are either loved or hated. No frills, not expensive, but some people claim that these things fall apart. There's also the Turkish O/Us, this one is a Yildiz:

Gun Review: Yildiz SPZ ME 12 Gauge Over-and-Under Shotgun | The Truth About Guns
shotgun/

Baikal | EAA Corporation/ USSG

Personally, I'd suggest the Remington 870 Wingmaster. Probably more than you are willing to spend (MSRP $818), but I like the Wingmaster for trap. My dad used the same shotgun for skeet back before I can remember.

OU, SxS Pump, auto.....it's the Indian, not the arrow.

The real problem that you'll run into is that most non-choke-tube (i.e. older) SxS are field guns, and you 'll have a modified/full choke, which is not ideal for skeet.

And, many of the "lower end" modern production SxS guns are less than great, quality-wise, IMO. There's a lot of fiddly hand-work required to make a good SxS that's not conducive to modern profit schemes.....

Most SxS have a severe drop at heel that is detrimental to clays shooting (and comfort), also most will have M modified and full choke which are difficult to use in skeet. Savage Model B is probably the best combination of price, quality and will have more modern stock dimensions. If you want to move more upscale, Ithaca NID (New Ithaca Double) will have nicer wood, more elegant design, but might have that dreaded 4" drop! I'd stay away from Turkish or Russian imports. Some Brazilian imports can be pretty nice, however, those guys know how to make shotguns.

Just fire two blasts!

Last edited:
I'm changing the advice I give out to this question. (which happens to come up almost weekly)

Don't listen to any of us!

Go to a club, look at what others shoot, ask a lot of questions, try out as many guns as you can, and figure it out for yourself.

Follow that advice, and I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.

Or just buy a gun who's name starts with a "B"

I'm changing the advice I give out to this question. (which happens to come up almost weekly)

Don't listen to any of us!

Go to a club, look at what others shoot, ask a lot of questions, try out as many guns as you can, and figure it out for yourself.

Follow that advice, and I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.

Or just buy a gun who's name starts with a "B"

+1 Try as many as you can. If you want to buy right away buy something on the less expensive side to use before sinking a bunch of money into a shotgun you're not sure about. After clay shooters get to know you most will offer to let you try their gun if they know you're looking for one.

Back
Top Bottom