• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dorcy 200 Lumen Tactical Flashlight Review....

With all the fancy-schmancy tactical lights available at often stratospheric prices, I found it a bit refreshing when I spotted a Dorcy 200 Lumen Flashlight swinging on the peg hook at Dicks Sporting Goods. I was even more surprised by the price: $35.00, (even cheaper on Amazon). With the beauty of the "Dicks Sporting Goods Employee Discount" at play, I figured: "what the hell?" and picked it up....

With one exception, (tail-cap), I could not be more pleased with this light! It's hard to believe after being bathed in 200-lumen lights priced over $100.00, that this light is so affordable - and so goddamned bright! It also runs on 3 AAA batteries, which is an added bonus - no CR123's to buy and batteries are available virtually anywhere. As luck would have it, I arrived home at night, took the light from it's package, popped the batteries into the holder and turned it on...WOW! This thing is bright! The beam is very wide, with a bright center spot. There is a tiny bit of "shadowing" in the center spot - perhaps some lens/reflector issues, but nothing major that takes away from the value in this light. I don't have any hi-tec lumen measuring devices and if I have time, will try and do a comparison with some other lights I have and take pics, but my initial impressions are that this is a super light at a great price.

The only downside I see, is the tail-cap: It's a twist-on type, with a an instant-on only feature. I think this light would be perfect with a click-type tail-cap, as most other Dorcy lights have. I have a tendency to leave the caps turned just enough to activate the instant-on feature, but sometimes too far - where they will activate to on in my bag. I think a click-type tail-cap would complete the circle. Construction is all aluminum and the light feels pretty substantial. Dorcy lists this light at 200-lumens, with a 3-hour run time. The unit came complete with Energizer batteries, (nice touch), so when these run out, I'll put some freshies in, turn it on and let it run its course and post the results. I may also weapon-mount this thing and torture it a bit...In the meantime, here's a link to the light if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Dorcy-41-4289-200-Lumen-Tactical-Flashlight/dp/B002QHPFDC

Okay, well I'm a failure at making time to take some pics, but I'll give you the following findings and a performance update:

I removed the reflector head and found the following on the module - clockwise from 12-noon:
US Patent then LED- underneath
LED+ at 3 o'clock
LED+ at 6 o'clock
0911 - also at 6 o'clock
a circular symbol with a line through it at 7 o'clock which appears to have the letters p then b (can't find my magnifying glass)
REV.5 090210 at 8 o'clock
LED-8007 94V0 at 9 o'clock
LED- at 10 o'clock

This light has performed far better than I expected since my initial report. I have the same set of batteries, (3 AAA's no less), that came with the light and it's still, for lack of a better technical term: bright as hell. I have been waiting for the light to fade to a point where I felt it necessary to replace the batteries. I use this light every single night to take the dog out and have noticed little, (if any loss of light)...So far, the best 25-bucks I've spent on a flashlight....

Back
Top Bottom